Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Changing your address when moving to Oz - DVLA, Passport etc

Changing your address when moving to Oz - DVLA, Passport etc

Old Jun 4th 2008, 1:59 pm
West Yorkshire to Cairns!

FoxyRuthie is just really niceFoxyRuthie is just really niceFoxyRuthie is just really niceFoxyRuthie is just really niceFoxyRuthie is just really niceFoxyRuthie is just really niceFoxyRuthie is just really niceFoxyRuthie is just really nice
Default Changing your address when moving to Oz - DVLA, Passport etc

Hi

I'm sure this been covered but can't find it. What do you do about changing your address for the DVLA and Pasport when moving to Oz? Do you keep it as a British address?? Or tell them your new address is Oz?

Any help or advice greatly appreciated

Old Jun 4th 2008, 2:08 pm

dinner-dash is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Changing your address when moving to Oz - DVLA, Passport etc

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...=redirect+mail
Old Jun 4th 2008, 2:17 pm

FoxyRuthie is just really niceFoxyRuthie is just really niceFoxyRuthie is just really niceFoxyRuthie is just really niceFoxyRuthie is just really niceFoxyRuthie is just really niceFoxyRuthie is just really niceFoxyRuthie is just really nice

Thanks for the link but it only covers redirection of mail whihc is not really what I need for the DVLA and Passport.

Anyone know what address you should give DVLA and Passport when moving to Oz?
Old Jun 4th 2008, 2:19 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FoxyRuthie
Hi

I'm sure this been covered but can't find it. What do you do about changing your address for the DVLA and Pasport when moving to Oz? Do you keep it as a British address?? Or tell them your new address is Oz?

Why do you need to notify the Passport office?
Old Jun 4th 2008, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Why do you need to notify the Passport office?
I just thought you were supposed to tell them if you moved? Great news if we don't have to bother anything less we have to do the better!!

Thanks x
Old Jun 4th 2008, 2:55 pm
Forum Regular

Joannec2014 is a name known to allJoannec2014 is a name known to allJoannec2014 is a name known to allJoannec2014 is a name known to allJoannec2014 is a name known to allJoannec2014 is a name known to allJoannec2014 is a name known to allJoannec2014 is a name known to allJoannec2014 is a name known to allJoannec2014 is a name known to allJoannec2014 is a name known to all

Don't the DVLA fine you £1000 for not showing your current address? Where would they send all those lovely speeding fines to!!!! Although appreciated it it is unlikely you will get zapped on camera as you wouldn't even be in the country!!! I know they are keen for documentation to show your current residence. I don't think it matters so much with the passport.
Old Jun 4th 2008, 3:57 pm
Forum Regular

ckgreenall will become famous soon enough

Passport doesn't matter as they don't hold your address anyway, re the DVLA we were going to change the address to my parents....

i'll take a quick look on the dvla website and report back...

Chris
Old Jun 4th 2008, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by ckgreenall
Passport doesn't matter as they don't hold your address anyway, re the DVLA we were going to change the address to my parents....

i'll take a quick look on the dvla website and report back...

Chris
Just had a look at the DVLA website and to change address you have to send your driving licence off and it can take up to three weeks to come back, we leave in just over two weeks oh dear!
Old Jun 4th 2008, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

ckgreenall will become famous soon enough

i've just had a look too and it mentions that if you are moving permanently to another country then you can't change your address to an oversees address.

We are going on a 457 so we will move the address to my parents I guess... as we may be back!!!
Old Jun 4th 2008, 7:48 pm
Account Closed

LeeLee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by FoxyRuthie
Hi

Surely there is no reason to notify either. You can't get done for anything by the dvla if they can't find you...and by using your passport to get to Aus then they know where you are anyway. I don't think you should worry at all.
Old Jun 5th 2008, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by LeeLee
Surely there is no reason to notify either. You can't get done for anything by the dvla if they can't find you...and by using your passport to get to Aus then they know where you are anyway. I don't think you should worry at all.
Thanks LeeLee I think I'll leave them both as they are and move on to worrying about somehting else! I'm rubbish at worrying about the little things!

Thanks for all your help xxx

Last edited by FoxyRuthie; Jun 5th 2008 at 8:08 am. Reason: can't spell!
Old Jun 5th 2008, 8:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

when we left the DVLA told us not to bother as we were going overseas.

When we rent a car in UK, we now use our Aus ones....my UK licence still shows my UK address of many years ago.
Old Jun 5th 2008, 9:01 am
I'd rather be climbing

mkargo is on a distinguished road

The DVLA was useless when I asked them before I left, here's the conversation:

Me:
"Hi, I currently hold a UK driving license but am about to move
overseas for three years for work. At the end of this month I move to
temporary accommodation until I get all the travel arrangements
complete. I currently have no address in the country to which I am
moving. I will be driving while overseas and will also be returning
to the UK for periods during this time. I'd like to know what
information the DVLA requires? I had a look round the website but
could not find anything relevant.
"

Them:
"Thank you for your email. You may use your GB licence for
driving in all other European Community/European Economic
Area (EC/EEA) member states.
However, you should make enquiries with your local motoring
organisation office if you want to drive in a non EC/EEA country.
They will tell you if you need an International Driving Permit, and
issue one if needed.
For further assistance please contact one of the following:
AA, RAC, GREEN FLAG, NATIONAL BREAKDOWN RECOVERY CLUB
"

Erm, so do you need my new address or not?!?! In the end I did nothing before I left. I have to write to a few other people anyway, so I may just let them know by snail mail once I've actually got an address here.
Old Jun 5th 2008, 9:18 am
Just Joined

jaynelh is an unknown quantity at this point

Another Qu re Driving Licences. when applying for an Australian driving license, do you know if it is okay using the old style driving licence (no photo) ?
Old Jun 5th 2008, 10:17 am
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Pomster
when we left the DVLA told us not to bother as we were going overseas.

When we rent a car in UK, we now use our Aus ones....my UK licence still shows my UK address of many years ago.
Yup it's great any fines go to an old address where you don't live. What do you do when you don't have anyones address you can use? I never understand why the DVLA don't have a special address they can put on the licences for people who are leaving the country permenantly but return for short periods of time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.