Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Changing Utilities - getting the best deals in Sydney area - plus Broadband

Changing Utilities - getting the best deals in Sydney area - plus Broadband

Old Nov 22nd 2006, 2:37 am
BE Forum Addict

ali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant future
Default Changing Utilities - getting the best deals in Sydney area - plus Broadband

Hi,

We have finally bought a house, we have been here 13 months and are so pleased to be back in the property market. Plus we get to buy a dog!

In a couple of weeks we move out of rented.

I just wanted to know of any really good deals you have found in regard to utilities.

The property does not have gas and it will cost $600 for a meter plus the cost of a plumber for internal installation. Is that worth doing? I do prefer to cook using gas and presumably electric heating will be expensive.

Also I still do not have broadband. I pay just under $60 a month for dial up (including the calls). Researching broadband is something I have tried to do but failed. We are very heavy users as the kids download music etc. Any ideas? Would love to have broadband in two rooms too but this is not essential and certainly not worth spending lots of money on.

And what about these all in one packages for phone, mobile, broadband and foxtel??

Would really appreciate your ideas and suggestions.

Thanks,

Tara
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 2:45 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Changing Utilities - getting the best deals in Sydney area

Originally Posted by ali south
Hi,

We have finally bought a house, we have been here 13 months and are so pleased to be back in the property market. Plus we get to buy a dog!

I just wanted to know of any really good deals you have found in regard to utilities.

The property does not have gas and it will cost $600 for a meter plus the cost of a plumber for internal installation. Is that worth doing? I do prefer to cook using gas and presumably electric heating will be expensive.

Also I still do not have broadband. I pay just under $60 a month for dial up (including the calls). Researching broadband is something I have tried to do but failed. We are very heavy users as the kids download music etc. Any ideas? Would love to have broadband in two rooms too but this is not essential and certainly not worth spending lots of money on.

And what about these all in one packages for phone, mobile, broadband and foxtel??

Thanks,

Tara
Hi Tara,

Don't know about the utility side of things, but for broadband info check out the Whirlpool site for extensive information and advice. FWIW I'm just up the road from you and am on iiNet; so far very good/quick/no problems and give you extra download capacity if you use them for your home phone as well... Hooking up an additional PC in another room is pretty easy with a wireless modem/router...

Hope it helps...
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 2:52 am
BE Forum Addict

ali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by rodders39
Hi Tara,

Don't know about the utility side of things, but for broadband info check out the Whirlpool site for extensive information and advice. FWIW I'm just up the road from you and am on iiNet; so far very good/quick/no problems and give you extra download capacity if you use them for your home phone as well... Hooking up an additional PC in another room is pretty easy with a wireless modem/router...

Hope it helps...
thanks, I'll take a look, we have bought in Mona Vale
Tara
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 3:06 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

thanks, I'll take a look, we have bought in Mona Vale
Tara
That's where we are... Scary...!
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 3:48 am
BE Forum Addict

OK
this sounds like a good deal, please tell me if I am wrong
Tara

Lets Go
Go ADSL Go ADSL2+ 24Mbit

Plan speed
Up to 24576 / 1024 kbps Pre-paid
Go ADSL2+ (Bundle) 60 GB Shaped Free Dynamic $39.95 /mo

Plan only available when bundled with a phone product from this company.
Go Phone: $30.95 per month
+ 50 Free local calls per month (used in the month)
+ Local Calls: 16 cents
+ STD Calls: 5.5 cents per min (no flagfall, charged by the second)
+ Fixed to Mobile: 27 cents per min (no flagfall, charged by the second)

+ Shaping may occur if you are consistently over 60Gb/month or show excessive download rates
+ Included back-up dial-up account

Positives
Offers 2 email addresses with each account
Entry level plans are excellent value
Mid-range plans are excellent value
High speed plans are excellent value
All plans are flat-fee with no excess charges
Nationwide tech support for cost of local call
Generous 50 MB of free web space provided
Free spam filtering service
Negatives
Letsgo Go ADSL2+ 24Mbit doesn't support rapid transfer. Changing to or from this ISP may be slower and more costly.
Data travelling through peering services is counted
Does not run any gaming servers
Doesn't accept BPAY
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 3:50 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Changing Utilities - getting the best deals in Sydney area - plus Broadband

Hi,

Thanks,

Tara
We have the Telstra package which is if you have any 3 of those 4 you name, you get a "freebie". We get our local phone calls all for free as part of our package (phone, broadband and foxhell).
I could get cheaper broadband elsewhere but I would lose the free local calls so it's not worth me changing.

Andrew
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 5:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Default Re: Changing Utilities - getting the best deals in Sydney area - plus Broadband

Originally Posted by andrew63
We have the Telstra package which is if you have any 3 of those 4 you name, you get a "freebie". We get our local phone calls all for free as part of our package (phone, broadband and foxhell).
I could get cheaper broadband elsewhere but I would lose the free local calls so it's not worth me changing.

Andrew
thanks, a few people have told me of the packages, I will call telstra tomorrow
personally we do not make calls from home so this would not be an incentive
thanks again
Tara
Old Nov 25th 2006, 2:27 am
BE Forum Addict

just bumping this because I am going to order this Broadband, would appreciate advice if this is a bad choice, really feeling out of my depth with this
Tara

OK
this sounds like a good deal, please tell me if I am wrong
Tara

Lets Go
Go ADSL Go ADSL2+ 24Mbit

Plan speed
Up to 24576 / 1024 kbps Pre-paid
Go ADSL2+ (Bundle) 60 GB Shaped Free Dynamic $39.95 /mo

Plan only available when bundled with a phone product from this company.
Go Phone: $30.95 per month
+ 50 Free local calls per month (used in the month)
+ Local Calls: 16 cents
+ STD Calls: 5.5 cents per min (no flagfall, charged by the second)
+ Fixed to Mobile: 27 cents per min (no flagfall, charged by the second)

+ Shaping may occur if you are consistently over 60Gb/month or show excessive download rates
+ Included back-up dial-up account

Positives
Offers 2 email addresses with each account
Entry level plans are excellent value
Mid-range plans are excellent value
High speed plans are excellent value
All plans are flat-fee with no excess charges
Nationwide tech support for cost of local call
Generous 50 MB of free web space provided
Free spam filtering service
Negatives
Letsgo Go ADSL2+ 24Mbit doesn't support rapid transfer. Changing to or from this ISP may be slower and more costly.
Data travelling through peering services is counted
Does not run any gaming servers
Doesn't accept BPAY
Old Nov 25th 2006, 4:15 am
Timelord

just bumping this because I am going to order this Broadband, would appreciate advice if this is a bad choice, really feeling out of my depth with this
Tara
Hi Tara...

See you found the Whirlpool site...

When you click on the 'Broadband Choice' option on the home page it takes you to another page where on the right hand side you'll see a listing of the ISP's used by the members of Whirlpool... These people are generally very knowledgeable and you might like to wonder why your choice of ISP hasn't made it into the top 20...

Seriously, I'd choose one that was in the top 5...
If speed of connection is important then the only 2 ISP's with ADSL2+ connections at the Mona Vale exchange are TPG and iiNet... Check them out, see what you think...
Old Nov 25th 2006, 8:13 am
Birds of a feather . . .

binbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond reputebinbird has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations on your house purchase! I love Mona Vale! When we were in Warriewood we were with iinet and had a great service. We planned to stick with them when we moved but they couldn't offer the same package so now we are with Optus.

Enjoy your own place.

B