Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Changing Uk plugs over to Oz

Wikiposts

Changing Uk plugs over to Oz

Old May 18th 2006, 7:30 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute
Default Changing Uk plugs over to Oz

We are getting an electrican out to change a few of our UK plugs over.

Considered doing it myself but have found out it would invalidate both my contents insurance and the landlords building insurance (making me personally liable).

The electrican has quoted me $60 per hour + Tax (GST). As with myself he estimates it will take 5 min per plug (I have 20 to change).

Does this sound okay to you guys?

By the way we are also based in Malvern, Melbourne

Kiwi
Old May 18th 2006, 7:35 pm

gedge has disabled reputation
Default Re: Changing Uk plugs over to Oz

Originally Posted by thebears
We are getting an electrican out to change a few of our UK plugs over.

Considered doing it myself but have found out it would invalidate both my contents insurance and the landlords building insurance (making me personally liable).

The electrican has quoted me $60 per hour + Tax (GST). As with myself he estimates it will take 5 min per plug (I have 20 to change).

Does this sound okay to you guys?

By the way we are also based in Malvern, Melbourne

Kiwi
Oh no, you're going to start the great plug debate again.
Just a thought, if you've got some 4 way multigang power plug boards you could reduce the cost by a quarter.
Old May 18th 2006, 7:53 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gedge
Oh no, you're going to start the great plug debate again.
Just a thought, if you've got some 4 way multigang power plug boards you could reduce the cost by a quarter.
Oops

Currently are using 2 large multi boards - but the locations aren't ideal with my items scattered throughout the house.

Thanks anyway Gedge.

Kiwi
Old May 18th 2006, 9:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

hilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond reputehilary6 has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm just a quick question...how come aus plugs/electricals dont have fuses in
Old May 18th 2006, 11:44 pm
Forum Regular

Fardell is a jewel in the roughFardell is a jewel in the roughFardell is a jewel in the roughFardell is a jewel in the roughFardell is a jewel in the rough

Having spent what seems to be half my life changing plugs - without being a "sparky" - does your contents and landlords policies "really" forbid you from doing this!! I know the State government in Victoria is trying to convince people not to wire their houses themselves because human flesh gives off a bad odour while sizzling, but have they extended this to the humble changing of plugs?? Or is it just the b@@@@y insurance companies in league with the Electrical Trades Union??

B@@@@ed if I would pay an electrician to change my plugs.

Cheers
Old May 18th 2006, 11:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

YoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fardell
Having spent what seems to be half my life changing plugs - without being a "sparky" - does your contents and landlords policies "really" forbid you from doing this!!

in short..... yes!!! and it's also illegal in queensland!!

it really pi**es me off as I origially trained as a stage manager/technicial and am fully qualified to change plugs and wire various things - but not in australia cos my quals are aussie ones!!!!
Old May 18th 2006, 11:53 pm
Forum Regular

Fardell is a jewel in the roughFardell is a jewel in the roughFardell is a jewel in the roughFardell is a jewel in the roughFardell is a jewel in the rough

ah well, Labor states ... then again they're all Labor aren't they

This is ludicrous which means I shall have to deeply research the matter then probably decide to ignore it ... in private of course. I mean to say .. plugs!