Changing plugs

Old Jul 12th 2009, 11:40 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Changing plugs

Originally Posted by Darren-Debbie
would it be breaking the law if you bought a load of plugs from the store in Aus. when you made your validation trip and then installed them to your extension leads back in the uk before emigrating, as it is not illegal to change plugs in the uk??
That'll be okay. Which state are you headed to?
Old Jul 12th 2009, 11:44 am
Forum Regular

Kathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to all

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Bring some power strips. Where you have lots of plugs together (e.g. computer or hi-fi) then you just change the plug on the power strip. Also gets over the problems with plugs you can't change like mobile phone chargers.
This is what we did, it worked extremely well and saved us having to change lots more plugs. We did the same thing, the other way round, on our return with new Ozzie computer etc and an Ozzie power board.

Kathryn
Old Jul 12th 2009, 11:47 am
Account Closed

jasonlec is an unknown quantity at this point

I dont get this thread. In 6 weeks you can be a fully qualified electrician in the uk, the changing the plug bit must only take a matter of seconds on the quickie koala course?
Old Jul 12th 2009, 11:51 am
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MarkMC
So when I move to QLD, can I take my appliances where I changed the plug while living in WA?
Not if you want your home insurance to be valid.
Old Jul 12th 2009, 11:52 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slipshot

As for those people who pay to get an electrician to change a plug - the sparky must love you. Bloody easy job - the earth is bloody obvious so the problem comes with which of the two wires go where. Get it wrong and it's hardly going to blow up your house - more trip the fusebox and you've learnt the lesson to follow the intructions!

You may as well say never to have plug sockets because they can kill. Only if you misuse them, yes, but common sense and asking someone else to do it (not paying) if you are not confident is as easy and far far cheaper.
But as has been pointed out on here more times than you can shake a stick at, if you're in Qld and you change plugs you risk invalidating your insurance
Old Jul 12th 2009, 11:55 am
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Darren-Debbie
would it be breaking the law if you bought a load of plugs from the store in Aus. when you made your validation trip and then installed them to your extension leads back in the uk before emigrating, as it is not illegal to change plugs in the uk??
Whenever you get plugs changed in Australia by a licensed sparky, they will attach an irremovable sticker to the cord stating that the work has been done by a certified electrician and it is OK, and that removal of this sticker will void your home insurance policy. They will also issue you with a certificate.
Old Jul 12th 2009, 12:00 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by slipshot

As for those people who pay to get an electrician to change a plug - the sparky must love you. Bloody easy job - the earth is bloody obvious so the problem comes with which of the two wires go where. Get it wrong and it's hardly going to blow up your house - more trip the fusebox and you've learnt the lesson to follow the intructions!
Bloody easy job.....you just need to know which wires go where....

Easy when you know how, like brain surgery I suppose?
Old Jul 12th 2009, 12:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

aasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud of

Well being an old gal,i remember a science period one day.electric plugs.BLUE TO THE LEFT
BROWN TO THE RIGH
YELLOW UP THE MIDDLE (UK )
Old Jul 12th 2009, 12:14 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Deancm
Whenever you get plugs changed in Australia by a licensed sparky, they will attach an irremovable sticker to the cord stating that the work has been done by a certified electrician and it is OK, and that removal of this sticker will void your home insurance policy. They will also issue you with a certificate.
Has anyone got any examples of anyone having problems with insurance because they changed their own plugs? I doubt it. Also, it's legal to change your own plugs in WA, Vic and Tas so what is to stop you changing the plugs in Vic before you more to Qld? Nothing as far as I can see. Qld regs don't because they only apply to the changing of plugs in Qld so how can an insurance policy be invalidated by something that was done legally.
Old Jul 12th 2009, 12:16 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by aasmith1957
Well being an old gal,i remember a science period one day.electric plugs.BLUE TO THE LEFT
BROWN TO THE RIGH
YELLOW UP THE MIDDLE (UK )
Yellow and Green up the middle

Last edited by MartinLuther; Jul 12th 2009 at 12:19 pm.
Old Jul 12th 2009, 12:22 pm
Account Closed

omg 4 wires???
Old Jul 12th 2009, 12:23 pm
you lucky, lucky b'stard!

tomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by NigelWaring
The law requires that plugs are changed by a licensed electrician in Australia, most people ignore this but if you cause a fire you might find that the insurance company will not pay out.
*****wit

You can change the plugs in YOUR house.

Also there is no such thing as an unlicensed electrician in Australia.

An electrician whether they are an apprentice, a house basher or a industrial electrician must have a license. if they work without one they are breaking the law, will be named and shamed in the industrial news and fined.

Last edited by tomy2tums; Jul 12th 2009 at 12:36 pm.
Old Jul 12th 2009, 12:26 pm
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Deancm
If the sticker is irremovable, how can it be removed to void the insurance?

Too confusing for me, I think I will change my wall plates to UK style sockets Im off for another drink.
Old Jul 12th 2009, 12:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

aasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud of

Its been 18 years since i changed a plug in the uk,yes i think it was yellow and green (3) wires.
Old Jul 12th 2009, 12:28 pm
you lucky, lucky b'stard!

tomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jasonlec
I dont get this thread. In 6 weeks you can be a fully qualified electrician in the uk, the changing the plug bit must only take a matter of seconds on the quickie koala course?
kinda says everything about the UK doenst it.

An electrician in 6 weeks, my friggin a$re your are.

Anyone tried to get a job with me like that, and they would'nt even get a reply.

4 years apprenticeship, makes you an electrician. Or 2 years crossover from another electrical trade.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.