Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Changing passport from maiden name to married name

Changing passport from maiden name to married name

Old Aug 21st 2006, 10:34 pm
Forum Regular

Sue Findlay is just really niceSue Findlay is just really niceSue Findlay is just really niceSue Findlay is just really niceSue Findlay is just really niceSue Findlay is just really niceSue Findlay is just really niceSue Findlay is just really nice
Default Changing passport from maiden name to married name

We got married last November just before we arrived here in Perth. All of my documents, driving license etc. is in my married name, the only one left to change is my passport.
How will I go about changing it over and roughly how much is it likely to cost?
Oh and will I need to get a new visa done?

Thanks!

Sue
Old Aug 21st 2006, 11:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond reputeMally Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Changing passport from maiden name to married name

Originally Posted by Sue Findlay
We got married last November just before we arrived here in Perth. All of my documents, driving license etc. is in my married name, the only one left to change is my passport.
How will I go about changing it over and roughly how much is it likely to cost?
Oh and will I need to get a new visa done?

Thanks!

Sue
If you married before you moved to Perth, how did you change over your other documents, or did you change them first then come to perth, with your passport in your old name. As far as I am aware, you just send off your passport with your marriage and birth cert with newly signed photos, that's what I had to do.

Not sure about the visa though, I assumed most visas were done electronically now, so it would still be invisibly attached to your passport number. I could be wrong though. I'm sure someone else will be along to correct me
Old Aug 21st 2006, 11:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

clougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

We got married in Perth in December and I have just changed my British Passport to my new name. You have to download a form from here http://bhc.britaus.net/Passports/passportsdefault.asp
It is a rip off at $185 + $15 courier charge. They don't change your visa it means that if you go out of the country you will have to take both passports and your marriage certificate.

Hope this helps

JO
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 8:59 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

If you take both passports and your marriage certificate to your local DIMA office they will print you a new visa label and put it in your new passport

And its FREE!!!!
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 9:00 am
Forum Regular

Sue Findlay is just really niceSue Findlay is just really niceSue Findlay is just really niceSue Findlay is just really niceSue Findlay is just really niceSue Findlay is just really niceSue Findlay is just really niceSue Findlay is just really nice

Thank you for your help.

In answer to your question, regarding our documents.

When I opened my bank account and got my driver's license etc, I had to show my marriage certificate along with my passport and everything was done in my married name. Now the final thing to change is my actual passport.

Once again thanks for your help.

Regards

Sue
Old Aug 22nd 2006, 9:00 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pollyana
If you take both passports and your marriage certificate to your local DIMA office they will print you a new visa label and put it in your new passport

And its FREE!!!!
Well that is a first! LOL

Thanks

Sue