British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Changing over international driving licence - victoria (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/changing-over-international-driving-licence-victoria-604977/)

mooo Apr 22nd 2009 11:06 pm

Changing over international driving licence - victoria

Hi all - I have been in Melbourne for nearly 3 months, I am on a permanent residency visa. I have a driving licence from a country in Africa (have had it for 16 years) and I also got an international driving permit before I left to come here. I have checked with Vic Roads and also a few driving schools and have been told different things - does anyone have any experience with this? I know that as a permanent resident I need to get a Victorian licence within three months, but have been told that I need to apply for a learner permit. However, once I have the learner permit I must hold it for three months before doing the hazard perception test and driving test and cannot drive by myself during this period ... My husband works full time so how on earth will I be able to take the kids to playgroup, do the shopping etc? Am in a semi-rural location so nothing within walking distance .. And yet if I was on a temporary visa I would be able to drive on my international licence indefinitely ... :confused:

ABCDiamond Apr 23rd 2009 12:09 am

Re: Changing over international driving licence - victoria

They do give you three months in which to sort out changing your licence to an Australian one...

A UK licence holder would not have the problem that you have, as we are exempt from needing to take tests.

The rules in Victoria, for someone that is not exempt, include:
To obtain Victorian driver licence (full or probationary) you need to make an appointment to undertake:
  • a road law knowledge test,
  • hazard perception test (HPT)
  • eyesight test and
  • a driving assessment
This should be done as soon as possible, early in the initial 3 months, to be able to continue driving after 3 months.

You say you need to get a learner permit first ? That is not how I read it, unless your country is specifically excluded. I would double check with VICroads...

Permanent Resident
A Permanent Resident is normally allowed to drive for 3 months before needing an Australian Licence, after that period they would be classed as driving without a valid licence.

Visitors
A person on a Visitors Visa does not have to abide by the same rules, and would be allowed to drive a private vehicle on a valid CURRENT driving licence from their own country, for as long as they have a valid visitors visa.

Visiting motorists are required to carry their licence (and English translation [IDP/IDL] if applicable) at all times while driving and produce it to Police on request. Production of their temporary visas may also be required as evidence of their temporary residential status.

Zambia Apr 23rd 2009 2:50 am

ABC is right.

Unless your licence is recognised by Vic roads as one that can be changed over well then you have to go through the standard application to get a licence.

They don't accept some countries licences as they can be gotten to easily , like my Zambian Licence cost me 100 Kwacha and a nod and a wink.

The NSW tester did not understand any nod or wink :blink:

mooo Apr 23rd 2009 2:56 am

Thanks for the reply. There seems to be confusion at Vic Roads on this, as I have been told by them on two separate occasions that I must do the car knowledge test first and if I pass this I will be issued with a learner permit. But once I have the learner permit I cannot sit any more tests (the hazard perception test followed by the practical driving test) for a period of three months .... I'm just trying to find out more information on this as the first person I spoke to in Vic Roads said as long as I got the ball rolling by sitting the first test within three months of arriving the time didn't matter, but have since been told this other stuff ... I'm booked to do the first test tomorrow but will not be able to do any others for three months as this is the only option they gave me ..?

Zambia Apr 23rd 2009 6:10 am

Originally Posted by mooo (Post 7505669)
Thanks for the reply. There seems to be confusion at Vic Roads on this, as I have been told by them on two separate occasions that I must do the car knowledge test first and if I pass this I will be issued with a learner permit. But once I have the learner permit I cannot sit any more tests (the hazard perception test followed by the practical driving test) for a period of three months .... I'm just trying to find out more information on this as the first person I spoke to in Vic Roads said as long as I got the ball rolling by sitting the first test within three months of arriving the time didn't matter, but have since been told this other stuff ... I'm booked to do the first test tomorrow but will not be able to do any others for three months as this is the only option they gave me ..?

Welcome to Australian admin