Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

CHANGING MONEY FOR TRAVELLING

CHANGING MONEY FOR TRAVELLING

Old May 21st 2007, 7:20 am
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute
Default CHANGING MONEY FOR TRAVELLING

OK, Here is my dilema, I am out to Melbourne soon and am converting the majority of my money via a foriegn exchange broker which will be held and untouchable until I complete my 100 point check to verify it my account, but will need some money to spend for 2 weeks in Melbourne and need to be able to book flights for 4 to Brisbane, howevere I could go down the bank and exchange with them, the rate is poor and a broker offers a better dfeal, but how do I keep the money available to me whilst my Australian account has yet to be activated,

Any help appreciated.
Old May 21st 2007, 7:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CHANGING MONEY FOR TRAVELLING

Originally Posted by Brisben
OK, Here is my dilema, I am out to Melbourne soon and am converting the majority of my money via a foriegn exchange broker which will be held and untouchable until I complete my 100 point check to verify it my account, but will need some money to spend for 2 weeks in Melbourne and need to be able to book flights for 4 to Brisbane, howevere I could go down the bank and exchange with them, the rate is poor and a broker offers a better dfeal, but how do I keep the money available to me whilst my Australian account has yet to be activated,

Any help appreciated.

Activate your account in Melbourne.
Old May 21st 2007, 7:30 am
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
Activate your account in Melbourne.
I cannot Wendy as my account is in Brisbane and I have to activate it there !
Old May 21st 2007, 7:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

What bank is it?

With the ANZ you can activate it anywhere in Australia as it's all linked together.
Old May 21st 2007, 7:37 am
Forum Regular

BullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud of

G'day

Go into ANY branch of the same bank and do your 100 point ID check. There is no need to go to Brisbane unless your banking is with a bank with branches only in Brisbane.

There ar even ways of completing your 100 point check while in the UK but it's a lot of running around and will involve a trip to Australia house.
Old May 21st 2007, 7:55 am
Born to be wild....

Originally Posted by BullcreekBob
G'day

Go into ANY branch of the same bank and do your 100 point ID check. There is no need to go to Brisbane unless your banking is with a bank with branches only in Brisbane.

There ar even ways of completing your 100 point check while in the UK but it's a lot of running around and will involve a trip to Australia house.
I never knew I could do that, many thanks. However is there any way I can convert via a broker and transfer it into a UK account that I can withdraw on >?
Old May 21st 2007, 8:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I never knew I could do that, many thanks. However is there any way I can convert via a broker and transfer it into a UK account that I can withdraw on >?

I don't think there is (or I can't think of one)

You should be able to withdraw directly from the bank once you've activated the account until you get your cards (some give you them straight away and others don't). So convert via broker into bank account here, then withdraw from the branch. That way you're not losing anything on the exchange rate except for the cash you'll need for the first day or two.

That's what we did when we first got here.
Old May 21st 2007, 8:05 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Leave some in your UK account and withdraw over here, or just use a UK credit card.