Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Changing childcare qualifications !!

Changing childcare qualifications !!

Old Feb 10th 2012, 11:26 am
Forum Regular

melinscotland is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Changing childcare qualifications !!

Hey , yeah I understand what everyone is saying . I did apply 6 wks before I was due to arrive but received a letter the week I arrived sayin that they had changed the assesment process in jan and they hadn't reached my assesment therefor I would have to apply again through the new system . So I was prepeard and had sorted it all out before I came . Just unfourntunat that mine hadn't been looked at before it changed. I'll just have to wait it out as I said I'm staying with family and have saving so on that front all is well. It's just I'm used to working 10 hrs a day I loved my job at home and I'm just keen to get started here I'm sure everyone understands that. I'm Trying to build a new life and job is top if the list then the rental and car will follow. I know things are done differently here and I expect that and I'm happy to fit in in with what the go is here . But I do feel let down that there dosnt seem to be (correct me if I'm wrong ) anyone to really help you with these things .In the uk a job center would point you in the right direction or the local council .

Last edited by melinscotland; Feb 10th 2012 at 11:29 am.
Old Feb 10th 2012, 11:33 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by minibelle
I was told mine would take 8 weeks but they came back after about 2 weeks, i am in QLD., it was the police check (blue card) that took the longest i had to wait about 4 weeks for that so if you dont have it already apply now.

minibelle
That's positive who do you apply to for the blue card ? I've never heard of it :/ Is it like you police check in the uk ?
Old Feb 10th 2012, 12:51 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

If you're just sitting around waiting then I think the best use of your time would be to try and get some casual work. I know you don't want to but it would be the best way to see how things are done in Australia and make a few connections and potential references. At least with casual work you wouldn't be locked in to stay. Not sure what you'd need to do casual though.

I'm glad you had the foresight to apply prior to arrival (not everyone does), too bad they changed the goal posts on you though.
Old Feb 11th 2012, 7:58 am
Forum Regular

Inglewhite has a spectacular aura aboutInglewhite has a spectacular aura aboutInglewhite has a spectacular aura about

Hi,
To work as a casual, you can just call/ ring the local centre, tell them you are looking for work, email/show qualifications and they usually have plenty of work available to cover for sickness and holidays. At one centre i had to volunteer to do 3 hours work, they could see how I worked and also a chance for me to get a look around, feel for the centre, ask questions etc. I then got offered plenty of casual work and was offered a permanent position as a room leader within a few months. As previous poster said though you will need your police certificate before they will let you start though.
Old Feb 11th 2012, 8:34 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Inglewhite
Hi,
To work as a casual, you can just call/ ring the local centre, tell them you are looking for work, email/show qualifications and they usually have plenty of work available to cover for sickness and holidays. At one centre i had to volunteer to do 3 hours work, they could see how I worked and also a chance for me to get a look around, feel for the centre, ask questions etc. I then got offered plenty of casual work and was offered a permanent position as a room leader within a few months. As previous poster said though you will need your police certificate before they will let you start though.
Hey thanks for sharing . Can you tell me
Where to I get my police checks done ? And do they expire ? In the uk each nursery you work in your a required to get a police check. I did just get one done a month ago but that was for my visa so I guess like the other stuff that will not count .
Old Feb 11th 2012, 9:28 am
Now in Oz

trackye will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Inglewhite
Hi,
I'm also hoping to get into daycare work. Arrived here in November and now that kids are settled in school want to find myself a job.

Going by what I've read here I can look for casual while my qualification is checked, would my UK police check suffice while everything is going through the motions??

Thanks
Old Feb 11th 2012, 9:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by melinscotland
Thanks for the help everyone . I'll just need to to wait it out I guess . Im an assistant manage at home and it s takin 6 years of study to get qualified enough to now manage a nursery . The thought of being right back at the bottom I feel isn't an option for me. .
Lots of expats have to start at a lower level than their previous job back in the UK.

I know of expats who were deputy principals of schools in the UK, who had to start back at being class teachers. Then after a couple of years got the chance to get back to deputy principal.

I think you need to be realistic, your not Australian trained and you may not get the exact same position as you had back home. You should be prepared that you may need Australian experience first.

Gems
Old Feb 11th 2012, 10:38 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Gems
Lots of expats have to start at a lower level than their previous job back in the UK.

I know of expats who were deputy principals of schools in the UK, who had to start back at being class teachers. Then after a couple of years got the chance to get back to deputy principal.

I think you need to be realistic, your not Australian trained and you may not get the exact same position as you had back home. You should be prepared that you may need Australian experience first.

Gems
Hey ,yeah i know i might not get assistant manager here straight away but i refuse to go back in as a trainee as its been suggested . Im happy to learn and i know it will be diffrent but i am qulified to be be a nusery nurse at the bear minimum putting my managment experience aside . Id be happy to start of as that with an aim to climb the ladder here . Just have to wait on the assement getting done then hopefully i can begin to get settled .
Old Feb 11th 2012, 11:38 am
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ebo1608
I'm surprised it wasn't accepted as equivalent to a diploma.

Hope she didn't pay TAFE fees
http://www.deewr.gov.au/Earlychildho...fTAFEfees.aspx

Newcomers note that diploma and adv. dip. training is free, for now, to encourage more workers.
I think that you need to be a PR to qualify for a free Diploma. She is on a partner visa which is temporary for 2 years.
Old Feb 12th 2012, 12:25 am
Forum Regular

Inglewhite has a spectacular aura aboutInglewhite has a spectacular aura aboutInglewhite has a spectacular aura about

The working with children check form is available from the Post office,(cost $73.90 in 2008) you have to take id documents and photos, this is then sent off and it usually lasts for 5 years. Although if you move interstate you will have to do another one. You will still have to do one over here even though you have a police check from the Uk as that is not recognised really. Its a bit silly really as they ask you for your oz address and only check you over here for any records etc. I was only in the country a week when I was offered my first job and had to send off for my wwc, so not much history to check?????
For the police certificate, the centre I worked at gave me a form, I had to fill in, get my id documents certified at the local police station and work sent it off for me and they paid for it, this was then sent to my home address and I took it in to work for them.
Old Feb 12th 2012, 9:31 am
Just Joined

Micro30 is an unknown quantity at this point

Gday

Just a bit of confusion in the last couple of posts.

You will require a Working With Children check, depending on which state you live in. Not all states require this, but most do. A quick Google of "working with children check (your state here)" should set you on the right path. This is the Queensland blue card referred to above.

You may also require a state or federal police check. This will be dependent on the particular centre you will be working in.

The police check is more thorough than the WWC check, as WWC check is looking at specific offences surrounding children. WWC is the regulatory requirement though. Most businesses will request a police check be provided by applicants in addition.

FYI my partner has a Diploma in Early Childhood Studies which was recognised as an equivalent diploma here. Was originally gained in UK. Took a few weeks.

Cheers
Old Feb 12th 2012, 9:45 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Micro30
Gday

You will require a Working With Children check, depending on which state you live in. Not all states require this, but most do. A quick Google of "working with children check (your state here)" should set you on the right path. This is the Queensland blue card referred to above.

You may also require a state or federal police check. This will be dependent on the particular centre you will be working in.

The police check is more thorough than the WWC check, as WWC check is looking at specific offences surrounding children. WWC is the regulatory requirement though. Most businesses will request a police check be provided by applicants in addition.

FYI my partner has a Diploma in Early Childhood Studies which was recognised as an equivalent diploma here. Was originally gained in UK. Took a few weeks.

Cheers
Thank you i will have a look into that aswell i want to have everything ready so when my assesment comes back i can get straight to it Im in nsw so ill google that see what comes up .
Old Feb 12th 2012, 9:47 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Micro30
Gday

Cheers
Not sure why my factual post was confusing but as you think it was I'll remove it, and the link. I was merely answering the query about the Blue Card in Queensland.
Old Feb 12th 2012, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

https://check.kids.nsw.gov.au/#employing-staff[/url]

Im im reading this right i just have to apply for the check when i get a job . I fill out the form and my employer sends it off .