Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Changing banks - how easy?!

Changing banks - how easy?!

Old Dec 27th 2010, 7:46 am
'Made in Ulster' Member

Location: Brisbane, QLD. (Though an Ulster girl through and through!)
Jen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond reputeJen1977ni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Changing banks - how easy?!

We've been with NAB since we moved here in Feb of this year, but in all honesty we've not been overly impressed with them since day dot, for various reasons. The recent problems though were the final nail in the coffin so we've decided to go to change and maybe go to Westpac as they allowed us easy access to our money in the UK when NAB struggled to do so. My question is this, has anyone else changed recently and is it a complicated process?! Also, are Westpac ok?
Old Dec 27th 2010, 9:17 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Changing banks - how easy?!

If it is just a savings account etc, then no problem whatsoever.
Just go to the new bank, open an account, and transfer your money over, setting up new direct debits etc if you use them.

Mortgages are a different matter, but you could always leave that with the old bank anyway.

Westpac are OK, we have one account with them, which reminds me, I want to open an account with Bank of Queensland this week, they have a special account with a monthly prize draw, something like the Premium Bonds
Customers will receive one entry into the draw for every $1 they have in the account up to a maximum of 30,000 entries

Old Dec 27th 2010, 10:18 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, we did it when we bought our place as we have an offset mortgage so wanted our salaries to go into the same place. Dead easy - just leave your old one open a few months until you're sure you've transfered all your electronic payments over.

As I said on the NAB thread, don't automatically go for one of the Big Four - look into others too.
Old Dec 27th 2010, 11:31 am
ABCDiamond

If you do leave an old account open but never use it, you will, after a few years, (7 years to be precise), get a letter at your last known address telling that any money in there will be moved to ASIC, unless you do something on your account within about 5 weeks.

I got a letter today, reminding me about an account I keep forgetting about in NSW. Must go to the ATM this week and take a few dollars out to keep the account active for the next 7 years.

Old Dec 27th 2010, 3:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jen1977ni
We've been with NAB since we moved here in Feb of this year, but in all honesty we've not been overly impressed with them since day dot, for various reasons. The recent problems though were the final nail in the coffin so we've decided to go to change and maybe go to Westpac as they allowed us easy access to our money in the UK when NAB struggled to do so. My question is this, has anyone else changed recently and is it a complicated process?! Also, are Westpac ok?
I'm with Westpac, can't fault them so far. Good job really as they're the only bank/ATM in our town