Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Changing 457 visa

Wikiposts

Changing 457 visa

Old Jun 28th 2006, 1:06 am
Forum Regular

xabialonso is just really nicexabialonso is just really nicexabialonso is just really nicexabialonso is just really nicexabialonso is just really nicexabialonso is just really nicexabialonso is just really nicexabialonso is just really nice
Default Changing 457 visa

Hi all,
I have a question for you regarding my 457 visa. Currently I am employed by a third party sponsor who take a 12.5% cut of my salary. The good thing about this set up is that I have a lot of flexibility - I can change assignments without too much difficulty. However, the 12.5% cut of my salary that the sponsor takes seems a bit excessive - especially for the amount of work they do.
I had a chat with the boss of the current assignment I work on - it is a permanent position. He said that they would be willing to sponsor me directly - that way I wouldn't have to give away 1/8 of my salary. My question is
a) can they apply for a different 457 visa where they would be my direct employers - this could be the visa I would have until my PR was granted - is it possible to cancel the existing 457 and replace it with another. That way while I am waiting for PR I wouldnt have to pay 1/8 of my salary
b) how long does it normally take for PR to be granted

Thanks
Xabi
Old Jun 28th 2006, 1:19 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Changing 457 visa

Xabi,

If you are in a regional area I would suggest you consider an RSMS sponsored visa which is PR status and can be very quick. Mine was 31 days from lodging the application.
In comparison I suspect a skilled PR visa could take several months.

Another company can take over a 457 visa sponsorship but has to go through all the formalities of a new application.

You would be best advised to discuss it with DIMIA as I'm not sure how they would react to the situation as it's "just to save you money" rather than a real visa or work change.

Check the small print of the third party agreement carefully. If you fail to fulfil the visa duration there may be penalties.
Old Jun 28th 2006, 2:08 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a link to the RSMS

http://www.immi.gov.au/migration/emp...ex.htm#summary

Booklet 5 is the one with the full detail in it.
Old Jun 28th 2006, 3:02 am
Forum Regular

xabialonso is just really nicexabialonso is just really nicexabialonso is just really nicexabialonso is just really nicexabialonso is just really nicexabialonso is just really nicexabialonso is just really nicexabialonso is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bix
Here's a link to the RSMS

http://www.immi.gov.au/migration/emp...ex.htm#summary

Booklet 5 is the one with the full detail in it.

Thanks a lot for your assistance Bix