Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Changes to buying a house on temp visa

Changes to buying a house on temp visa

Old Mar 30th 2009, 9:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Changes to buying a house on temp visa

The changes to people on temp visa e.g. 457 buying a house have been brought in today (they were reported Dec '08, but not legal until now). It is no longer a requirement to get FIRB approval if it is your only and main home.

See www.firb.gov.au for details.

This makes those wishing to buy at auction much easier also.
Old Mar 30th 2009, 9:28 am
Forum Regular

scamp1976 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Changes to buying a house on temp visa

Well that's stupid. What will happen to your house when you get evicted from the country after your temporary visa expires ?
It will work for stupid people I guess... When they are evicted the PR's will get some cheap housing off their auctions...
Old Mar 30th 2009, 9:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scamp1976
Well that's stupid. What will happen to your house when you get evicted from the country after your temporary visa expires ?
It will work for stupid people I guess... When they are evicted the PR's will get some cheap housing off their auctions...

I guess that you'll sell it, may be make a profit and not have been paying $2000+ a month as dead money in rent.
Old Mar 30th 2009, 10:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Babsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by scamp1976
I think the op was referring to people who move out on temp visas such as the SIR which convert to perm. visas after a required time, not people on holiday visas or students travelling around the country.
Old Mar 30th 2009, 11:59 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Finally

Now I can transfer ownership to the wife (no stamp duty payable between husband and wife).