Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

changed our minds

changed our minds

Old Mar 31st 2006, 5:20 am
Just Joined

Sue Atkinson is on a distinguished road
Question changed our minds

Yes we changed our minds about moving to Oz. We had the TRA confirmed, flights booked and paid for at the end of May for our reccie trip. Talked and talked about it until we talked our way out of it. We cancelled the flights (lost 1200 pounds - thanks lastminute.com!!)

We have no definate idea why we didn't continue with the move (already cost us in excess of 2'500 pounds). I think that our lives here in the UK are pretty good but it was hubby's job that was a bit insecure that we thought we'd make the move. We then thought of the huge up-heavel, leaving behind family & friends, finding where we wanted to live, not knowing any one etc.. and basically decided that we'd tough out the job situation and see what happens.

I do like the UK (generally) and going somewhere else at this stage in my life (age 42) wasn't the answer. Perhaps we panicked when job situation wasn't good but moving to Oz and starting all over again - I don't think I could - don't think I am a whimp as have travelled loads and been to Oz for visits before.

We may continue with Visa application at the end of the year, visit then, get the stamp then we have 5 years to decide (I think thats all correct). I sound a bit woolly don't I?

Any body else bottled it ???

Sue
Old Mar 31st 2006, 5:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: changed our minds

Nope! I came over here on my own at age 18, no family here only an Australian boyfriend. It was hard of course but I'm glad that I did it! There have been plenty of times when I have thought about packing it all in and leaving but I have stuck with it and it gets better every day
Old Mar 31st 2006, 6:03 am
Forum Regular

dani is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Sue,

I also came here myself aged 46!! Please continue with your application as you just can't apply after 45.
I have had an experience that only few can 'enjoy', fulfilled a lifetime ambition, met more people from all walks of life and cultures and now feel the adventure is almost over (three and a half years).
I have my citizenship but need to go back 'home' to remind myself of what I left for, the hardest part is missing friends and family, but hey it's a great holiday destination!
Something must have made you want to come, you have probably got cold feet now, think it over and you may change your mind again. Fate will put opportunities in your path and if it's meant to happen it will!

Dani
Old Mar 31st 2006, 6:27 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue Atkinson
Yes we changed our minds about moving to Oz. We had the TRA confirmed, flights booked and paid for at the end of May for our reccie trip. Talked and talked about it until we talked our way out of it. We cancelled the flights (lost 1200 pounds - thanks lastminute.com!!)
If you are happy with the decision, then it's the right decision. I think I would have gone ahead with the reccie though just to really make sure or just to have a damn good holiday especially if you lost that amount :scared:

Check properly about if you can continue at a later date. I have no idea because I am a spouse visa, but does the TRA have an expiry date

I hope you don't leave it too late and then worry about the "what if's", but you can only do what's best for you.

Take care.
Old Mar 31st 2006, 7:08 am
BE Forum Addict

rammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond reputerammygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Yes

We were approved on Skilled Independent about 8 years ago and never took it up- somehow when the news came we were flat not jubilant (or possibly just scared!) we had good careers and would have had to start again with 2 young kids it all seemed a bit daunting-also we had more family then (several have since sadly died).

BUT DO WE REGRET THIS>>>>>>>>>>>>YES YES AND YES!!!

We should have been brave and gone at least to get Citizenship.

We are now faced at our ages 44 &42 with applying for temporary residence on Business Skills visa with 2 teenagers who are making our lives hell over it.

Think very carefully you may not get another chance!

Rammygirl
Old Mar 31st 2006, 9:09 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

We have no definate idea why we didn't continue with the move (already cost us in excess of 2'500 pounds). I think that our lives here in the UK are pretty good but it was hubby's job that was a bit insecure that we thought we'd make the move. We then thought of the huge up-heavel, leaving behind family & friends, finding where we wanted to live, not knowing any one etc.. and basically decided that we'd tough out the job situation and see what happens.

I do like the UK (generally) and going somewhere else at this stage in my life (age 42) wasn't the answer. Perhaps we panicked when job situation wasn't good but moving to Oz and starting all over again - I don't think I could - don't think I am a whimp as have travelled loads and been to Oz for visits before.

We may continue with Visa application at the end of the year, visit then, get the stamp then we have 5 years to decide (I think thats all correct). I sound a bit woolly don't I?

Sue
I would resist canceling anything else that will give rise to large financial losses before you have sought more independent advice.

In some ways, I see things from your perspective BUT I am simply being lazy and playing it "safe" by thinking that my comfort-zone is really the answer and the place to stay. These types of thoughts are entering my mind more and more often but it's simply because our deadline for leaving is now so close that the realism of it all has simply overwhelmed me.

I am pretty sure that we will end up regretting it if we do not go. I think that a project like this needs a real concerted effort and if you can go into the experience with your eyes wide-open and realise that initially life will seem harder, more complicated and generally nothing like the life you would be leaving behind then you are more than halfway to a happier existence. I try to view this whole experience as a "long-term investment" as the short-term will be used to invest into our new life so that we can see a return and be happier in the longer-term.
Old Mar 31st 2006, 9:33 am

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rammygirl
Yes

We were approved on Skilled Independent about 8 years ago and never took it up- somehow when the news came we were flat not jubilant (or possibly just scared!) we had good careers and would have had to start again with 2 young kids it all seemed a bit daunting-also we had more family then (several have since sadly died).

BUT DO WE REGRET THIS>>>>>>>>>>>>YES YES AND YES!!!

We should have been brave and gone at least to get Citizenship.

We are now faced at our ages 44 &42 with applying for temporary residence on Business Skills visa with 2 teenagers who are making our lives hell over it.

Rammygirl
God luck Rammy girl i really hope you fullfill you dream finally x
Old Mar 31st 2006, 9:35 am
Just Joined

helpwithvisa has a brilliant futurehelpwithvisa has a brilliant futurehelpwithvisa has a brilliant futurehelpwithvisa has a brilliant futurehelpwithvisa has a brilliant futurehelpwithvisa has a brilliant futurehelpwithvisa has a brilliant future

Hi

we came out here on temp visa to have a look around. then we did the pommie boomerang - went back to the Uk, realised our mistake and vert quickly came back on a perm visa. One thing you should remember is that a move to Oz is no longer a life sentence - if it doesn;t work out you can return to the UK - admitedly a couple of pounds poorer, but richer for the experience.

it is a difficult decision, but....

Good luck
Andy Sinclair-Ford
Old Mar 31st 2006, 9:40 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Sue
I never thought I'd say this but I agree with Moneypen, Rather than waste your ticket why not have a holiday here, It's worth a look even if I don't want to stay here. Or as the other poster said (sorry can't remember who and cant see the thread at the mo) Come and at least validate your visa and buy yourself a few more years to decide. Also maybe try it but don't give up anything in the UK, Don't sell house, car or call the boss a knob. Basically don't burn any bridges and maybe give it a try.

I know we hate it here but clearly some people do and you might be one of them. Just remember the grass isn't greener on the otherside.

good luck in whatever you decide anyway.
Old Mar 31st 2006, 9:44 am

Margaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud of

Sue
This is not me

But could have been last week

Last edited by Margaret2; Mar 31st 2006 at 9:49 am.
Old Mar 31st 2006, 9:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Margaret2
This is not me
I did wonder
Old Mar 31st 2006, 9:50 am

Margaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by WendyC
I did wonder

Reads a bit like my threads, doesn't it??
Old Mar 31st 2006, 9:54 am

Hi Sue, your post makes me realise again , we all go through these feelings, was having a wee joke about it not being me, coz i have posted similiar things like that.

Someone replied and said to me will i buy you slippers for your cold feet, made me laugh and think coz this is what it was.

Its an awful process the waiting, but at the same time makes you think of every, if, but and maybe.

Good luck whatever you decide, for me i'm going, but next week i could be staying again No matter what we decide one thing is ABSOLUTELY definate we will validate our visas, coz like you age is not on our side
Old Mar 31st 2006, 9:57 am

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Margaret2
Hi Sue, your post makes me realise again , we all go through these feelings, was having a wee joke about it not being me, coz i have posted similiar things like that.

Someone replied and said to me will i buy you slippers for your cold feet, made me laugh and think coz this is what it was.

Its an awful process the waiting, but at the same time makes you think of every, if, but and maybe.

Good luck whatever you decide, for me i'm going, but next week i could be staying again No matter what we decide one thing is ABSOLUTELY definate we will validate our visas, coz like you age is not on our side
Excellent Advise Margaret.......good luck x
Old Mar 31st 2006, 9:57 am

Rammygirl[/QUOTE]

Wish we had done it years ago as well. We too are faced moving with a teen Not easy is it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.