Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Change in tax law: losses on UK property rental now deductible in Australia

Change in tax law: losses on UK property rental now deductible in Australia

Old Jul 7th 2008, 6:58 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute
Default Change in tax law: losses on UK property rental now deductible in Australia

Given the present housing market in the UK, I'm sure this will be of interest to a few migrants:
http://www.gomatilda.com/news/article.cfm?articleid=463

Best regards.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 9:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Oz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really niceOz Rascal is just really nice
Default Re: Change in tax law: losses on UK property rental now deductible in Australia

Originally Posted by Alan Collett
Given the present housing market in the UK, I'm sure this will be of interest to a few migrants:
http://www.gomatilda.com/news/article.cfm?articleid=463

Best regards.
Thanks for the info Alan.

Just to see if I understand it correctly, if you're mortgage was £800 but your rent was only £700 you would be able to claim the loss of £100 against your income tax in Aus. If this is correct, could it reduce amount of income tax you pay per month or would it just be claimed and repaid at the end of the year in one go?
Old Jul 7th 2008, 10:49 am
Just Joined

HoofArted is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Change in tax law: losses on UK property rental now deductible in Australia

WOW! This is QUITE a change. This means that I can get back 35% of ALL losses incurred on my investments outside of Australia. Not bad as the previous laws took Capital Gains Tax but I could not claim any losses. Nice!
Old Jul 7th 2008, 10:53 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HoofArted
WOW! This is QUITE a change. This means that I can get back 35% of ALL losses incurred on my investments outside of Australia. Not bad as the previous laws took Capital Gains Tax but I could not claim any losses. Nice!
Remember that these provisions do not apply to capital losses - only losses of an income nature.

Take professional advice if you are unsure what this means.

Best regards.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 10:54 am
Migration Agent

Originally Posted by Oz Rascal
Thanks for the info Alan.

Just to see if I understand it correctly, if you're mortgage was £800 but your rent was only £700 you would be able to claim the loss of £100 against your income tax in Aus. If this is correct, could it reduce amount of income tax you pay per month or would it just be claimed and repaid at the end of the year in one go?
The claim for a deduction due to overseas losses would be made on the end of year income tax return, leading to a one off repayment after the return has been submitted to the ATO.

Best regards.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 11:06 am
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

Just a pointless question but theoretically, if your property in the UK was up for rental for 6 months but no-one rents it does that mean that you can offset the entire costs of the house as a rental property (interest on mortgage, management and maintenance costs, etc) in your Australian return ?
Old Jul 7th 2008, 11:15 am
Just Joined

HoofArted is an unknown quantity at this point

Remember that these provisions do not apply to capital losses - only losses of an income nature.

Take professional advice if you are unsure what this means.

Best regards.

I understand 100%. I mis-stated the losses. I meant ALL income losses. Interest and management fees, costs etc. This is still a HUGH change which will make keeping my property in the UK all the more worth it!

Now.. lets just hope the capital losses don't rip me a new one...
Old Jul 7th 2008, 11:21 am
Migration Agent

Originally Posted by bigAPE
Just a pointless question but theoretically, if your property in the UK was up for rental for 6 months but no-one rents it does that mean that you can offset the entire costs of the house as a rental property (interest on mortgage, management and maintenance costs, etc) in your Australian return ?
Possibly - maybe even probably. I'd have to look into this ...

Best regards.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 11:43 am
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

Possibly - maybe even probably. I'd have to look into this ...

Best regards.
Cheers Alan.

More specifically if you had been renting it up for a year up until say January and decided to put it on the market, thus making it hard to rent, although now you're about to put it back on the rental market, etc. Could that period of non-rental while attempting to sell be seen as a loss on the rental income ?
Old Jul 7th 2008, 11:46 am
Migration Agent

Not sure I wholly follow the question, but to adopt a phrase from PM Questions: I refer the honourable gentleman to my previous answer!

In other words, I have to refrain from getting involved in too technical an exchange on a forum, as I have a business to run!

Best regards.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 12:20 pm
No Clean Feed

In other words, I have to refrain from getting involved in too technical an exchange on a forum, as I have a business to run!
Already have mate, and the advice seems well worth the cost. We have also recommended your services to lots of people, including a few today as it just so happens.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 1:56 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

So, the big question. Why is the Aus tax man and by proxy the Aus tax payer subsidising* UK (foreign) renters?

* If you don't understand what I mean by subsidising. The reason Aussie rents are low in comparison to the cost of the investment mortgage is because of negative gearing. If the government got rid of negative gearing then rents would rise. The landlords are not going to subsidise the tenants out of their own pockets.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 6:34 pm
Just Joined

Codify is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
So, the big question. Why is the Aus tax man and by proxy the Aus tax payer subsidising* UK (foreign) renters?
Who cares, this is great news!
Old Jul 7th 2008, 7:46 pm
Forum Regular

alan_blue is an unknown quantity at this point

if you were planning to rent out and keep a residential mortage on the hush would this still be justified?
Old Jul 7th 2008, 9:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Techno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther

* If you don't understand what I mean by subsidising. The reason Aussie rents are low in comparison to the cost of the investment mortgage is because of negative gearing. If the government got rid of negative gearing then rents would rise. The landlords are not going to subsidise the tenants out of their own pockets.
Swings and roundabouts though isn't it? Seeing as if you own a house in the UK where the rent income is more than the interest and maintenance payments, you would have to pay Australian tax on the 'income'. It's only fair you get the relief back when it works the other way. Especially as rental income on the UK house is still taxable in the UK as well, even if you are no longer resident.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.