Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A change of plan

A change of plan

Old Oct 15th 2005, 11:03 pm
Just Joined

david hunt is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile A change of plan

Hi to all! and many thanks to all the kind soles that offers there friendship and support with our then intended move to the sunny coast.

As I'm sure you will all understand, plans can quickly change in your first few months after arriving, bearing in mind that neither of us arrived with jobs. This being the case, I have recently been offered a not to be missed job opportunity (starting Monday), as a Craftsman/Furniture maker/Boat fitter in Hemmant, South east of the Brisbane river. We are therefore looking to settle somewhere nearby, I have set my sights on Wynnum, Manly and the surrounding area.

With 2 kids of Primary age, we would be very interested hearing from any Expats who have experience of the schools and area.

Any constructive comments will be greatly appreciated, because once settled we hope to stay for good.

Dave.
Old Oct 15th 2005, 11:08 pm
Sunning it up in Benowa

Location: Body in benowa, Mind in Benowa, the whole fricking thing in benowa MAN !!!!!
Jane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A change of plan

Originally Posted by david hunt
Hi to all! and many thanks to all the kind soles that offers there friendship and support with our then intended move to the sunny coast.

As I'm sure you will all understand, plans can quickly change in your first few months after arriving, bearing in mind that neither of us arrived with jobs. This being the case, I have recently been offered a not to be missed job opportunity (starting Monday), as a Craftsman/Furniture maker/Boat fitter in Hemmant, South east of the Brisbane river. We are therefore looking to settle somewhere nearby, I have set my sights on Wynnum, Manly and the surrounding area.

With 2 kids of Primary age, we would be very interested hearing from any Expats who have experience of the schools and area.

Any constructive comments will be greatly appreciated, because once settled we hope to stay for good.

Dave.

Hi David,
Nice to see you back, Unfortunately we are not there yet but just wanted to pass on best wishes to you and your wife. Your decision whatever it is will be the right one for you
Good Luck
Jane x
Old Oct 15th 2005, 11:22 pm
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Dave.
Hi Dave

Great news about the job,well done m8

As for the areas you mentioned; we live in Wynnum which I'd describe as an old fashion Queensland area with a "villagy" feel and a mixture of old and new housing. Wynnum also has a shopping mall and a village with various shops which will cater for most [if not all] people's needs. The high street overlooks the foreshore and is lovely, with cafe's where you can sit and watch the world go by. It's in close proximity to the freeway so you can get to the Gold Coast or the Sunshine coast in an hour. Wynnum has a train station too and you can get to the city in about 40 mins on the train [hubby does it everyday and a return ticket is $27 a week return -service is 99.9% on time!]

Manly is right next door to Wynnum so to speak, with a high street and a Marina, a couple of pubs and a few restaurants. It also has the train line [one stop up from Wynnum and takes a futher two minutes longer to get to Brissy on the train i.e further away slightly].

Lota is then right next door to Manly and the houses there are also a mixture of old and new although there seem to be quite a few in the older end. I'm not so sure Lota has that many shops but I do think the local hospital is there [it's more like a country preactice type of place, for emergencies]

The drive to Hemment from where we are in Wynnum west takes about 5 mins in the car so it's a very short car journey [if that].

It's difficult to tell you about the schools around your childrens age cos my son is 17 so in the older end. However there are some good schools around here with plenty of amenaties and the kids always look smart and seem happy enough. I'm not sure of the names of the schools but if you contact Brisbane council [via their website] I'm sure they can put you in touch with some of the schools who will also probably provide you with a website.

Anyways, hopefully that helps a bit for starters.

PM me if you'd like to know more. No probs

Cheers
Phoenix
Old Oct 15th 2005, 11:46 pm
Banned

Feed the Goat will become famous soon enoughFeed the Goat will become famous soon enough

20 mm of rain so far today..

according to local weather station live on web.
Old Oct 16th 2005, 3:15 am
Just Joined

david hunt is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your reply Phoenix, its all encouraging information and I'm sure, if we move to Wynnum, we'll bump into each other in the coarse of time. I will PM if I need more info. sooner to our move.

Cheers mate!

Dave.

Originally Posted by phoenixinoz
Hi Dave

Great news about the job,well done m8

As for the areas you mentioned; we live in Wynnum which I'd describe as an old fashion Queensland area with a "villagy" feel and a mixture of old and new housing. Wynnum also has a shopping mall and a village with various shops which will cater for most [if not all] people's needs. The high street overlooks the foreshore and is lovely, with cafe's where you can sit and watch the world go by. It's in close proximity to the freeway so you can get to the Gold Coast or the Sunshine coast in an hour. Wynnum has a train station too and you can get to the city in about 40 mins on the train [hubby does it everyday and a return ticket is $27 a week return -service is 99.9% on time!]

Manly is right next door to Wynnum so to speak, with a high street and a Marina, a couple of pubs and a few restaurants. It also has the train line [one stop up from Wynnum and takes a futher two minutes longer to get to Brissy on the train i.e further away slightly].

Lota is then right next door to Manly and the houses there are also a mixture of old and new although there seem to be quite a few in the older end. I'm not so sure Lota has that many shops but I do think the local hospital is there [it's more like a country preactice type of place, for emergencies]

The drive to Hemment from where we are in Wynnum west takes about 5 mins in the car so it's a very short car journey [if that].

It's difficult to tell you about the schools around your childrens age cos my son is 17 so in the older end. However there are some good schools around here with plenty of amenaties and the kids always look smart and seem happy enough. I'm not sure of the names of the schools but if you contact Brisbane council [via their website] I'm sure they can put you in touch with some of the schools who will also probably provide you with a website.

Anyways, hopefully that helps a bit for starters.

PM me if you'd like to know more. No probs

Cheers
Phoenix
Old Oct 16th 2005, 3:37 am
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your reply Phoenix, its all encouraging information and I'm sure, if we move to Wynnum, we'll bump into each other in the coarse of time. I will PM if I need more info. sooner to our move.

Cheers mate!

Dave.
No problem, glad I could help.

Tis a great place to live. No regrets our end

Good luck with the move....and the job