British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   change over in Singapour (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/change-over-singapour-521936/)

lee10ann Mar 15th 2008 3:53 pm

change over in Singapour

Hi
we fly to Australia in August, with a stop over for 3hrs in Singapore, can anyone explain to me, when we get of the plane, do we collect our luggage and check back in for the next leg of the journey or does the airline take care of our luggage for us.:unsure:

:o Very confused

Ann

nickyjohnt Mar 15th 2008 4:12 pm

Re: change over in Singapour

Originally Posted by lee10ann (Post 6066797)
Hi
we fly to Australia in August, with a stop over for 3hrs in Singapore, can anyone explain to me, when we get of the plane, do we collect our luggage and check back in for the next leg of the journey or does the airline take care of our luggage for us.:unsure:

Ann

Ann,
your luggage usually will be on the next plane with you if all goes well. We have never had any of our bags gone elsewhere, but it does happen, Don't worry about it just make sure you have half your stuff in your other halfs case and visa versa;) just to be safe

John

CharleneG Mar 15th 2008 4:14 pm

If you are flying with the same airline you will have no problem checking it in here and won't have to see it until you get to Australia. I believe Singapore is very efficient so 3 hours between flights will be plenty of time for the handlers to take your bags to the correct terminal for your onward journey.
If you are changing airlines you will probably have to collect your bags and check in for the the second flight as well.

Hope this helps.
Charlene

CharleneG Mar 15th 2008 4:19 pm

I always split our luggage between 2 cases, OH thinks I'm mad but we met a guy in Bali once and his case had not arrived 10 days after he had :( and his wife's was fine. Needless to say he did not look happy, he'd bought the essentials but it's not always easy if you are a larger person (like me).
Luckily the only time it has happened to us was in the USA so we were fine - XXL "We Love California" T shirts from the hotel gift shop!!:thumbsup:

Charlene

lee10ann Mar 15th 2008 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by CharleneG (Post 6066849)
If you are flying with the same airline you will have no problem checking it in here and won't have to see it until you get to Australia. I believe Singapore is very efficient so 3 hours between flights will be plenty of time for the handlers to take your bags to the correct terminal for your onward journey.
If you are changing airlines you will probably have to collect your bags and check in for the the second flight as well.

Hope this helps.
Charlene

Thanks Charlene

We are flying with the same airline. When we get off the plane at Singapore do we check in for the connection flight at departures or is there like a connection check in desk???????????

Sorry for being so thick just trying to get my head round it.:huh:

Ann :confused_smile:

lee10ann Mar 15th 2008 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by nickyjohnt (Post 6066840)
Ann,
your luggage usually will be on the next plane with you if all goes well. We have never had any of our bags gone elsewhere, but it does happen, Don't worry about it just make sure you have half your stuff in your other halfs case and visa versa;) just to be safe

John

Thanks John :thumbsup:

CharleneG Mar 15th 2008 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by lee10ann (Post 6066870)
Thanks Charlene

We are flying with the same airline. When we get off the plane at Singapore do we check in for the connection flight at departures or is there like a connection check in desk???????????

Sorry for being so thick just trying to get my head round it.:huh:

Ann :confused_smile:

Ann

Don't worry.
You will get to follow the magical "transit passenger" signs.
At worst you may need to change terminals (apologies I've never been to Singapore so I don't know if there is more than 1 terminal), the terminal details should be on your ticket (if they are not, check the airline's website or Expedia is usually good for that sort of info).
As you are travelling all the way with the same airline you will probably be able to check in all the way from here so there will be no need to check in at Singapore. Just go shopping!!

You will be fine. Any room in your case for me?

Charlene

lee10ann Mar 15th 2008 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by CharleneG (Post 6066900)
Ann

Don't worry.
You will get to follow the magical "transit passenger" signs.
At worst you may need to change terminals (apologies I've never been to Singapore so I don't know if there is more than 1 terminal), the terminal details should be on your ticket (if they are not, check the airline's website or Expedia is usually good for that sort of info).
As you are travelling all the way with the same airline you will probably be able to check in all the way from here so there will be no need to check in at Singapore. Just go shopping!!

You will be fine. Any room in your case for me?

Charlene

Thanks again.

We are going to Brisbane, i see your going to .Melbourne
What about Chris u wouldnt leave him........ lol :thumbsup:

CharleneG Mar 15th 2008 5:07 pm

As I suggested in my previous posts, I am quite large and I am mindful of the weight restrictions on baggage:D so I would be prepared to make the sacrifice and go alone, anyway someone has to stay and sell the house:rofl:

sassie Mar 15th 2008 10:48 pm

Hi

Ann

Hi there. It's all very straight forward. your bags will be checked right through to Brisbane, and when you check in you will be given boarding cards for your onward connection in singapore. when you arrive in singapore, you will be directed to the transit area of the airport, i.e. you don't go through immigration or customs. plenty of things to do in transit, loads of shops, cafes, free internet etc etc. when you get off the plane in sinapore you will be told the gate number to return to and they usually require you back at the gate about 45 minutes before departure. have a good trip.

Kooky. Mar 16th 2008 3:05 am

As has been said, there will be people directing you around the transit areas, no worries.

If in doubt, look for the customer service girls - they'll be in mid-blue jackets and black skirts, and they just wander round waiting to help people.

Nozzys Mar 16th 2008 6:14 am

Hi

Ann

We flew with Singapore Airlines in October last year, had a couple of hours in Singapore Airport where we changed planes, our luggage was automatically transferred to next airplane. Singapore Airport is a great airport to spend a couple of hours in - enjoy.

Nat

ianandhelena Mar 16th 2008 7:49 am

Hi

Ann

if you need to relax you can book a room at the airport hotel, no need to go through customs or immigration:

http://www.changiairport.com/changi/...l?__locale=en#

Rosscarbery Mar 16th 2008 9:14 am

Singapore Airport has to be the easiest airport in the world for transit. The chances are you will be getting on the next plane either at the same gate you got off at, or very close nearby. When we did our reccie we were worried about what seemed like a very short transit time but it's no problem. Enjoy -:)

CharleneG Mar 16th 2008 9:36 am

Re: change over in Singapore

All this talk of Singapore makes me want to go even more now and I've not even got to the visa application stage yet!
OH is already looking at houses to buy and talking about taking a couple of weeks to get to OZ - last plan I heard was - get this - fly to Toronto, train across to Vancouver, drive (I think) to Los Angeles (for a spot of last minute shopping!) then on to OZ.