Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

for a change, a job in oz that pays more than uk equivalant

for a change, a job in oz that pays more than uk equivalant

Old Mar 12th 2006, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

rosscog will become famous soon enoughrosscog will become famous soon enough
Default for a change, a job in oz that pays more than uk equivalant

Hi, i dont really post on here very often but have been living in oz (melbourne suburbs) now for 8 months.
I often read posts here about how jobs pay significantly less here than there uk equivalant, from what i can gather these jobs are usually office, city based jobs, quite often involved in IT, and when the person involved is leaving a job in london.

I am a mech fitter and left a job in bristol which i thought was a decent wage (about 22,000 pound with a little OT), came over here and got a job within 2 weeks as a fitter and now earn about $75,000 (roughly 30,000 pound) a year (also with some OT) , i am very suprised to be earning this sort of money as i was let to believe pay was much less here, so i think it goes to show that not all jobs pay less here and in my experience manual skilled trades pay better.

This increase in my pay has allowed my wife to not have to work and instead have our second child which is something we just couldnt have afforded in the uk where she had to work full time as well as me earning a piss poor wage as a nursery nurse (even though she was qualified and had all the responsibility, she was the manager of a day care centre).

So to sum up, life is treating us good here in melbourne, there are lots of good jobs to be had out here with very good salarys and i wish anyone coming out to have a go all my luck
Old Mar 12th 2006, 8:43 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: for a change, a job in oz that pays more than uk equivalant

Originally Posted by rosscog
This increase in my pay has allowed my wife to not have to work and instead have our second child which is something we just couldnt have afforded in the uk where she had to work full time as well as me earning a piss poor wage as a nursery nurse (even though she was qualified and had all the responsibility, she was the manager of a day care centre).

So to sum up, life is treating us good here in melbourne, there are lots of good jobs to be had out here with very good salarys and i wish anyone coming out to have a go all my luck

Excellent news Ros... That's the whole point of emigrating, isn't it?! Good to hear it.
Old Mar 12th 2006, 8:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

grahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to behold

Well done and congratulations I hope that this is the start of things to come for you and your family and good look with the new addition.
I hope that when we get there we have some similar look, my hubby is an Electrician and I have been a bit :scared: looking at some of the posts regarding jobs.
Regards and best wishes for the future
Old Mar 12th 2006, 8:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, i dont really post on here very often but have been living in oz (melbourne suburbs) now for 8 months.
I often read posts here about how jobs pay significantly less here than there uk equivalant, from what i can gather these jobs are usually office, city based jobs, quite often involved in IT, and when the person involved is leaving a job in london.

I am a mech fitter and left a job in bristol which i thought was a decent wage (about 22,000 pound with a little OT), came over here and got a job within 2 weeks as a fitter and now earn about $75,000 (roughly 30,000 pound) a year (also with some OT) , i am very suprised to be earning this sort of money as i was let to believe pay was much less here, so i think it goes to show that not all jobs pay less here and in my experience manual skilled trades pay better.

That's great. Glad it's working out for you.

I have done LOTS of research into jobs etc, and have worked out that me and the Hubby will be close to the equivalent of £7000 - £8000 better off in Oz (after tax).

I think you are right about it seeming to be "white collar" jobs that seem to pay less there.

Personally though I would really rather be poor over there than poor over here anyday
Old Mar 12th 2006, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

Our whole point in emmigrating was not to have a child, our reasons were probably the same as most others, this was something we decided after being here a while and settling in money wise.

Dont get me wrong, its not all about the money, far from it, if i was money mad i would have had the wife in a full time job then we would have been raking it in lol, this whole post was for the point of making anyone whos coming out in the near future ( particulary people in a similar field to me) a little less anxious about money worries and standard of living, there are so many doom and gloom posts on here about people not getting by day to day as wages are so crap and cost of living so high, that alot of people yet to make the move must be really worried.

Dont get me wrong, if you are a family of 3 or 4 and you finf yourselfs on an income of $30,000 or something then yes you will struggle, but i am just trying to say that there are plenty of very well paid jobs, here in melbourne anyway for pepole with skilled trades
Old Mar 12th 2006, 8:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Our whole point in emmigrating was not to have a child, our reasons were probably the same as most others, this was something we decided after being here a while and settling in money wise.

Dont get me wrong, its not all about the money, far from it, if i was money mad i would have had the wife in a full time job then we would have been raking it in lol, this whole post was for the point of making anyone whos coming out in the near future ( particulary people in a similar field to me) a little less anxious about money worries and standard of living, there are so many doom and gloom posts on here about people not getting by day to day as wages are so crap and cost of living so high, that alot of people yet to make the move must be really worried.

Dont get me wrong, if you are a family of 3 or 4 and you finf yourselfs on an income of $30,000 or something then yes you will struggle, but i am just trying to say that there are plenty of very well paid jobs, here in melbourne anyway for pepole with skilled trades
Ooo I hope you didn't think I was having a go when I said I would rather be poor there than here. I wasn't honest.

Just giving my take on it before someone had a go at me
Old Mar 12th 2006, 9:04 pm
Forum Regular

no, wendy i was not referring to your post at all, i was actually referring to ipoms reply which sounded a tad sarcastic with the ? and !.

I totally agree with you, with my wife not working we are actually not any better of here but do seem to have a little more disposible cash than in the uk, but have a much happier lifestyle, my little girl gets taken to school and picked up by her mum every day which is something that never happened in uk, we eat tea together every day as a family, also unheard of back home, the weather (usually) lets us get out on the weekends and do alot of stuff that is free anyhow.

I would have put the quote in but am not that good at the whole computer thing.
Old Mar 12th 2006, 9:33 pm
Forum Regular

martinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to allmartinw01908 is a name known to all

Thanks for that post, its good to know that not all jobs pay less. I was worried about this. I have been trying to find salaries online but most jobs seem not to quote them. I am manual skilled, in electronics repair so I hope pay will be better out there.

Does anyone know what a typical salary would be for someone who fault finds PCBs?
Old Mar 12th 2006, 10:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Luma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond repute

You can try and see if you can find your job here - I've put both UK and Oz so then people can do the comparisons themselves.

UK salary survey
http://www.hays.com/common/salary-survey.aspx

Oz salary survey
http://www.hays.com.au/salary/default.aspx
Old Mar 12th 2006, 10:49 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Luma
You can try and see if you can find your job here - I've put both UK and Oz so then people can do the comparisons themselves.

UK salary survey
http://www.hays.com/common/salary-survey.aspx

Oz salary survey
http://www.hays.com.au/salary/default.aspx
Useful comparison links, just ran one myself:

Based on a Credit Controller with 2-5 years experience

UK £12,500 (North East) to £23,000 (Central London)
Aus $33,000 (Townsville) to $45,000 (Sydney)

Move from North East UK to Sydney and you get a 50% increase on your UK salary, but move from London to Townsville, and you go down by 40%.

Old Mar 12th 2006, 11:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Great! For ages people said it was the tradies who benefitted out here, but it looks like the tables have turned, or the evidence was wrong, seemingly, because I find that professionals outside the higest brackets do OK.

A mate of mine builds 'skyscrapers', he's been offered 180,000k in Melly, 80GBP in London. He can't wait to get out here, this is his 3rd visit in 5 months! He loves eating out and spends all his time in Melbourne's inner East.

His rent on his paid for flat in London pays a fair proportion of his mortgage here.
Old Mar 12th 2006, 11:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Really pleased for you, my hubby was self employed gas fitter/plumber in UK we was quite well off. Over here he earns half as much, but the same as he would earn if he worked for british gas. We knew before we came over what he would earn [we was sponsored]. so what would be the point in moaning about it. When he has done his 2 years we will be better off.
Denise
Old Mar 13th 2006, 12:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Sorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond reputeSorchar has a reputation beyond repute

no, wendy i was not referring to your post at all, i was actually referring to ipoms reply which sounded a tad sarcastic with the ? and !.

I totally agree with you, with my wife not working we are actually not any better of here but do seem to have a little more disposible cash than in the uk, but have a much happier lifestyle, my little girl gets taken to school and picked up by her mum every day which is something that never happened in uk, we eat tea together every day as a family, also unheard of back home, the weather (usually) lets us get out on the weekends and do alot of stuff that is free anyhow.

I would have put the quote in but am not that good at the whole computer thing.
Good to hear a success story. No point in earning loads of dosh if you can't get to spend time together as a family, children grow up and away so quickly. As a mum myself, I would have loved to have been in a position to have been able to stay home and care for my kids instead of having to go out to work. Should have moved over years ago.
Old Mar 13th 2006, 1:18 am
C&V
Sydneysider

C&V is an unknown quantity at this point

We're the same - my hubby is a screen printer/ production manager and now earns 8k more in Sydney than he did in the UK!!!

C&V