Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

change of career?

change of career?

Old Jun 14th 2006, 8:15 pm
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point
Default change of career?

As my wife and I sit awaiting the result of my TRA, she has expressed a desire (after a particularly stressful day!) to have a complete career change if we make it to oz. " i want to be a f+++++g florist!" she spat at me, as if I had somehow been to blame, completely oblivious to the fact that florists or anyone else can have a crap day and it's not the exclusive role of programme managers! Has anyone else done this? I'd be interested to hear if it worked out for any of BE members. Thanks.
Old Jun 14th 2006, 9:04 pm
We're here and it's fab

Mark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to allMark & Ali is a name known to all
Default Re: change of career?

Hi there

I'm still in the UK at present, however I have spent 24 years working as a Business Systems Manager for a Bank. I'm due to be made redundant in September. I've decided when I get to Oz I'm changing career completely. I've recently undertaken an interior design diploma and want to do something along these lines, or just retire altogether and enjoy the sea, sand and sunshine!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ali X
Old Jun 14th 2006, 9:07 pm
toplad

Originally Posted by Mark & Ali
Hi there

I'm still in the UK at present, however I have spent 24 years working as a Business Systems Manager for a Bank. I'm due to be made redundant in September. I've decided when I get to Oz I'm changing career completely. I've recently undertaken an interior design diploma and want to do something along these lines, or just retire altogether and enjoy the sea, sand and sunshine!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ali X
at the moment i work for a rather large company as a customer advisor, however when we move i would really like to be a car salesperson. don't know why it's just something i've never tried.

tracy

Old Jun 14th 2006, 9:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't changed career as such as I am retraining after raising the kids so at the moment am a student, but, I don't think I would ever have got round to retraining in the UK as life was so busy.
Old Jun 14th 2006, 9:23 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

This question crops up quite a lot.

Why do people imagine it will be any easier to change careers in Australia than in the UK?

I would think, as an immigrant, it would be more difficult.

G
Old Jun 14th 2006, 9:29 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by toplad
at the moment i work for a rather large company as a customer advisor, however when we move i would really like to be a car salesperson. don't know why it's just something i've never tried.

tracy
Come to Melbourne and work for Volvo. Then I'll be your first customer
Old Jun 14th 2006, 9:32 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
This question crops up quite a lot.

Why do people imagine it will be any easier to change careers in Australia than in the UK?

I would think, as an immigrant, it would be more difficult.

G
Fair point I guess - but I think that, since everything else is changing so drastically, it seems like a good time for many people to do it. They may have been thinking about changing careers for ages and so since, in many cases, they'll be starting from scratch anyway - it's a good time to do it. Couple that with the fact that if you're bringing sufficient equity with you and therefore you can get by on far less (having no mortgage or very low repayments) it's possible for people to take college courses etc.
Old Jun 14th 2006, 9:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
Fair point I guess - but I think that, since everything else is changing so drastically, it seems like a good time for many people to do it. They may have been thinking about changing careers for ages and so since, in many cases, they'll be starting from scratch anyway - it's a good time to do it. Couple that with the fact that if you're bringing sufficient equity with you and therefore you can get by on far less (having no mortgage or very low repayments) it's possible for people to take college courses etc.

I agree. I also think that you get stuck in a rut and find it difficult to be able to make that kind of leap. Whilst it's no harder than doing it here, I think the main difference is that for most there is no job to go to and also not as many commitments for a while.
Old Jun 14th 2006, 9:40 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Couple that with the fact that if you're bringing sufficient equity with you and therefore you can get by on far less (having no mortgage or very low repayments) it's possible for people to take college courses etc.
I agree with that part Hutch.

However if you don't have equity I would think it would be very difficult.

G
Old Jun 14th 2006, 10:16 pm
Forum Regular

draper5 is just really nicedraper5 is just really nicedraper5 is just really nicedraper5 is just really nicedraper5 is just really nicedraper5 is just really nicedraper5 is just really nicedraper5 is just really nicedraper5 is just really nicedraper5 is just really nicedraper5 is just really nice

Yes, I think you're right. As everything is changing it seems a good time to get out of the "comfortzone/rut" that you're used to and bite the bullet and do something different.
personally I am a primary teacher (18 years experience) and although I love my job her, have considered for some time becoming a speech therapist, but can't afford to give up the job here, whereas over there (hopefully) we'll have a bit more equity, which we could live on whilst I retrained...asssuming of course I could get accepted by a uni over there to do the training (at the ripe old age of 40!)
Old Jun 14th 2006, 11:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
I agree with that part Hutch.

However if you don't have equity I would think it would be very difficult.

G

Lots of posts about people changing careers in Aus so plenty must give a shot, but they're probably the ones with the equity
Old Jun 14th 2006, 11:42 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
Lots of posts about people changing careers in Aus so plenty must give a shot, but they're probably the ones with the equity

I have sod all equity and I'm trying to open my own business at the moment. I've done lots of things in my life so far, but I've been doing an awful lot of child care recently for my 3 and I fancy running my own business. I found a gap in the market and I'm currently working to exploit that gap. I have no real experience in running a retail site or selling to 'buyers' of stores, but I will have in a few months time!

I think it's probably easier to switch gears mentally here because you're switching companies. No one has any real idea of who you are, what your qualifications really mean, and it's quite refreshing to walk into a bank, give them a presentation and hear them say 'yes' to finance.
Old Jun 15th 2006, 12:08 am
Account Closed

savanna454 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thats exactly right! Having spent 20+ years treating coughs and colds I don't feel inclined to pay vast amounts of money to be allowed to jump through the same hoops that I did in the UK 25 years ago! Happy at present to soak up the sun and enjoy family life

Ken
Old Jun 15th 2006, 12:21 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Actually I think its EASIER to in Australia to make that career change. Principally you are starting a new life anyway. Your mindset is that of a complete change of lifestyle, location and the whole thing. Why not change your career whilst you are it ?

Moving from your comfort zone of a career you have always been in and good at takes a lot of guts to do. Somehow it is easier since your already out of your comfort zone with everything going on in your life anyway.

In the UK I used to own a couple of stressful businesses in the security/debt industry and now I'm a remedial massage therapist. That way I can combine my hobby of working out/sports with a job where people are actually pleased to see me on a daily basis and look forward to appointments. Whilst the former may have been more profitable the latter is complete job satisfaction helping people with injuries and the like. I now enjoy my job rather than grimacing through everyday with the lure of financial reward.

So there you go - a small tale of why I did it and if it worked for me why not other people ?

Go for it i say - you may just surprise yourself.
Old Jun 15th 2006, 7:23 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: change of career?

Originally Posted by thebears
Come to Melbourne and work for Volvo. Then I'll be your first customer
I thought you already bought the car mate?

Buzzy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.