Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The chance for a new comer to let a house/unit (Sydney)

The chance for a new comer to let a house/unit (Sydney)

Old Oct 5th 2007, 12:59 am
Just Joined

joejohn_guyon is an unknown quantity at this point
Question The chance for a new comer to let a house/unit (Sydney)

Hi all, wish you'd be so kind to ease my other headache If i'm coming to Sydney without any job on hand, would it be possible to get a house/unit to let within the first 1-2 weeks? Are there any other considerations than the 100 point check list? How much help a personal reference (friend) can do? And how to increase my chance to secure the unit?

Thanks in advance.
Cheers.
Old Oct 5th 2007, 3:37 am

gedge has disabled reputation
Default Re: The chance for a new comer to let a house/unit (Sydney)

Originally Posted by joejohn_guyon
Hi all, wish you'd be so kind to ease my other headache If i'm coming to Sydney without any job on hand, would it be possible to get a house/unit to let within the first 1-2 weeks? Are there any other considerations than the 100 point check list? How much help a personal reference (friend) can do? And how to increase my chance to secure the unit?

Thanks in advance.
Cheers.
we secured a rental before jobs
if you can show that you're financially secure with some bank statements then that'll probably cover the unemployed aspect
obviously when you talk to the agent/landlord you'd tell them that you're actively looking for work and expect to be in full tie employment very soon yadda yadda...

also if you can supply any written references from previous employers or even landlords that'll be a bonus
basically anything you can think of that will show you in a good light

other things that come to miind in securing the let would be to show eagerness, show up early, get the paperwork filled out in advance if poss... you can get one from the agent's office before hand
look presentable, be friendly and if you really want the place perhaps offer an extra five/ten bucks a week on the quoted rent
good luck
Old Oct 5th 2007, 4:09 am
Just Joined

joejohn_guyon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gedge
..... be friendly and if you really want the place perhaps offer an extra five/ten bucks a week on the quoted rent
good luck
Thanks for the hints.

However, coincendently, I've just read an article at: http://www.domain.com.au/Public/Arti...ugh%20it%20out

It says that such practice (silent rental auction) is inappropriate, and the agent may get problems with his/her license But, is it getting more common now? Should I go with the flow......
Old Oct 5th 2007, 5:13 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by joejohn_guyon
Thanks for the hints.

However, coincendently, I've just read an article at: http://www.domain.com.au/Public/Arti...ugh%20it%20out

It says that such practice (silent rental auction) is inappropriate, and the agent may get problems with his/her license But, is it getting more common now? Should I go with the flow......
i didn't realise it was a problem as such
a couple of agents have suggested it to us in the past and then we decided whether we thought it was a reasonable suggestion for the property
if you think it isn't worth it then don't go there, i wouldn't be adverse to putting in a lower offer too if the place has been listed for a while