Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Challenges facing IT industry in Australia

Challenges facing IT industry in Australia

Old Jul 28th 2010, 11:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Challenges facing IT industry in Australia

Originally Posted by hoofie2002
Funnily enough we are having major problems at work finding senior Java developers [you know, the proper language not the toytown one...]. All we want is someone who has been around a while and can work on a J2EE server from scratch with a smattering of other skills if possible. [We don't want someone who been in app support for 5 years, we want someone who really can get into the nitty-gritty].

After advertising 3 times, we have found 1 person who is a brand-new immigrant. He is bloody good and a real lucky find but all the others interviewed have not been up to scratch i.e. the CV says one thing but the interview says something else. All have been corporate drones who can't pass a basic java test or have any exposure or even general interest in the fields we are interested in.

Ok it is a contract position [at the moment which could become a permie] - still no-one is biting and the coin on offer is very good.

All the lads in the office have come to the conclusion that all the experienced people are sitting tight at the moment - everyone I know in that area doesn't want to move jobs.
Have you considered using a good headhunter?
Old Jul 28th 2010, 11:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bibbs
What do you think of the IT industry in Perth in general can I ask?
Small and incestuous.
Old Jul 29th 2010, 2:58 am
Account Closed

Kayelem is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi. We have been here a month and hubby working damn hard to get a job he's an IT guy. He has found that alot of the job ads he sees need VM Ware. I have no idea what it is but he doesn't have any so putting him at a dissadvantage. Also agents always want to know his age when they call him I told him to question why but he's to polite. Another pointer, in the UK CVs are generally a couple of pages but agents have told him here to put far more indepth detail into his CV over here. So far no luck on the jobs front apart from a one day job moving PCs from one office to another.
Old Jul 29th 2010, 3:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Kayelem
Also agents always want to know his age when they call
Actually it's illegal for agents to ask his age due to anti-discrimination laws. Agents can't even accept a CV if it has the date of birth on it.

Another pointer, in the UK CVs are generally a couple of pages but agents have told him here to put far more indepth detail into his CV over here.
He would ideally need a CV of about 5 pages in length.
Old Jul 29th 2010, 9:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Bibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
Small and incestuous.
Hmm, thats not good.

I'd been having a search about, and I'd been hearing favorable things.

Shame I've got no friends in IT over there.

Has anyone got any advice of what I can do before coming over to help me find a job?

I've been in touch with a few agiencies, and they have said for me to contact them a few weeks before arrival and they will arrange interviews for as soon as I land.
Old Jul 29th 2010, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

Shot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Kayelem
Hi. We have been here a month and hubby working damn hard to get a job he's an IT guy. He has found that alot of the job ads he sees need VM Ware. .
i know what you mean about VM ware! all the jobs i have been looking at from over here are after VMware skills, sods law being just as i was about to start my training on it i got made redundant in my last place,
best thing for him to do would be to down load it from the VMware site have a play around and put it on his CV as basic, thats what i have done, only got the chance to play around with it for a while but im sure if he understands how it works etc... it should not be an issue.
my other draw back is the stupid microsoft stuff.... which i havent done my exams on etc.... so trying to squeeze in my windows 2008 and exchange 2007 exam before i get out there, but the way work is going / home life etc... not dont think its gonna happen.

Shot81