Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Challenges facing IT industry in Australia

Challenges facing IT industry in Australia

Old Jul 22nd 2010, 8:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

itxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Challenges facing IT industry in Australia

I don't know all the answers but I moved here a few months ago and work for a big investment bank that prides itself on hiring the cream of the crop. Not sure what I am doing there but one thing I've been surprised about is how few australians work there. They are all from the UK, SA, few from India (but only if their comms are good). There is maybe 1 ozzie in every 10. Maybe they are a bit behind...
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 9:37 pm
Just Joined

miss_moss is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't think it's behind at all, I think it's the nature of how it works in such a transient place.

Like I said, good Aussies move overseas, primarily to earn more and get more international experience hence the constantly diminishing talent pool. I haven't come across a bank yet who have explicitly asked for Australian candidates; the incliniation seems to be to hire the right person regardless of where they are based and ship them over here - visas permitting of course.

Banks will always want to hire candidates with prior banking experience and unfortunately the market here is small and Australia is yet to be taken seriously as a true financial hub - but I think this is changing with the current strong economic status. Let's hope so anyway!
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 9:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Syedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I hear you.

The truth is, it varies....I've met some great developers here. If a company does not use aspects of 3.5 so what.

I find a lot of 3.5 mumbo jumbo...and good OO and design is far more important than lamda expressions.

In my current role I've used MVC, Jquery and WPF all to a high level. The future is bright and agents are excited...

You cannot say so things like so what if you don't use some feature of 3.5??

I agree that OO design is critical (speciall if you're involved in design and architecting process) but and here is the but features in 3.5 like lambda expression SIMPLIFIES the coding lines from 3/4 lines into a single line, in the process it also OPTIMISES the application. It results in an app that is much faster and streamlined.

You're argument reminds me how when vb.net came out, the VB ppl would not embrace OO paradigm because they were happy in how sloppy they were as long as the app worked!!

The improvements in 3.5 matter and you need to know what they are. If you use multi-threading for example, there is a set of library called "Parallel" which helps immensely with this.

I agree that JQuery is exciting but this is old news...Sorry!

Obviously some of the senior roles involve mentoring and reviewing the work of junior staff so high level .net framework experience is still desirable given the advanced nature of some of our work.

Agreed that to mentor junior, you need to understand the .net framework itself. I have been mentoring juniors since 1998 when I was Microsoft technical consultant at a large multinational company in Brighton.

Some good points made here and not just technical stuff.

My summary would be:

If you need code MONKEY by all means get someone who can recite the System.web namespace in the tuoe of Beethoven 5th symphony and a la parrot fashion.

If you want someone who will be far more useful, get someone who understands the concepts too.
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 10:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Syedney
You cannot say so things like so what if you don't use some feature of 3.5??

I agree that OO design is critical (speciall if you're involved in design and architecting process) but and here is the but features in 3.5 like lambda expression SIMPLIFIES the coding lines from 3/4 lines into a single line, in the process it also OPTIMISES the application. It results in an app that is much faster and streamlined.

You're argument reminds me how when vb.net came out, the VB ppl would not embrace OO paradigm because they were happy in how sloppy they were as long as the app worked!!

The improvements in 3.5 matter and you need to know what they are. If you use multi-threading for example, there is a set of library called "Parallel" which helps immensely with this.

I agree that JQuery is exciting but this is old news...Sorry!

Agreed that to mentor junior, you need to understand the .net framework itself. I have been mentoring juniors since 1998 when I was Microsoft technical consultant at a large multinational company in Brighton..
Sometimes the code is harder to read and understand for maintenance it is so optimised that's all I said.. I've used these shortcuts nonetheless. I don't necessarily disagree with your other points. I mentioned jquery because I think you did. For some critical apps the garbage collector will slow you down in any case. We do a lot of mission critical stuff running multi-threaded apps and we still have a fair bit of C++. We use a fair few threading patterns which many a monkey would struggle with so when we come to use the NET 4 stuff we will understand it better.

My argument has nothing to do with VB - c# is a much better language and I jumped in quickly.. I understand the CLR in ways many wouldn't.

Anyhow, mate, how do I know that you are not yet another IT pleb. Bet your shirt has a pocket on it's breast and you're not as svelte as me! Ya boo!

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Jul 22nd 2010 at 10:30 pm.
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 10:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed (to disagree!)

I am sure my experience is tinged with the disappointment of not getting a job yet...As well as the fact that I have 28 days to do so too

Thanks
I now see your pain.........
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 10:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Syedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond reputeSyedney has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes the code is harder to read and understand for maintenance it is so optimised that's all I said.. I've used these shortcuts nonetheless. I don't necessarily disagree with your other points. I mentioned jquery because I think you did. For some critical apps the garbage collector will slow you down in any case. We do a lot of mission critical stuff running multi-threaded apps and we still have a fair bit of C++. We use a fair few threading patterns which many a monkey would struggle with so when we come to use the NET 4 stuff we will understand it better.

My argument has nothing to do with VB - c# is a much better language and I jumped in quickly.. I understand the CLR in ways many wouldn't.

Anyhow, mate, how do I know that you are not yet another IT pleb. Bet your shirt has a pocket on it's breast and you're not as svelte as me! Ya boo!

Ok, so you just yelled out stuff and you half accuse me of being a pleb

Seriously though, I was trying to resonate with the ppl who are here and who are saying that getting an expert in reciting system.web namespace is not and should not be the criteria to get someone who is just more than a code monkey (ie a senior top grade .net person).

Trust me, with delegates, lambda expressions and anonymous functions, code is much more readable, streamlined and faster.

Why on earth do you mention GC? if GC is critical in your app, you can implement IDispose yourself and do your own garbage collection!!

For multi-threadedness, look at the Parallel library.

About my shirt, trust me you're wrong!...Not even close.

Bet your shirt has a pocket on it's breast and you're not as svelte as me
Ah IT stereotypes?

Maybe you're stiff-spined nerd with thick glasses!
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 11:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ok, so you just yelled out stuff and you half accuse me of being a pleb

Seriously though, I was trying to resonate with the ppl who are here and who are saying that getting an expert in reciting system.web namespace is not and should not be the criteria to get someone who is just more than a code monkey (ie a senior top grade .net person).

Trust me, with delegates, lambda expressions and anonymous functions, code is much more readable, streamlined and faster.

Why on earth do you mention GC? if GC is critical in your app, you can implement IDispose yourself and do your own garbage collection!!

For multi-threadedness, look at the Parallel library.

About my shirt, trust me you're wrong!...Not even close.

Ah IT stereotypes?

Maybe you're stiff-spined nerd with thick glasses!
Shouting - no way - you were the one getting excited..I was thumbing along on a little E71...

I use IDipose a lot infact. But forgive me - isn't that mostly for hardware and the like - db connections and IO..maybe unmanaged code - you don't actually free up the resource in memory...(if you see what I mean). It's not as if you can free up a custom class. Say you have a class called WhatAMonkeyIAm : IAmAClueeless, IDispose you still don't get to destroy it even in the Dispose implementation. I need to sit down now.

What's your pattern like? Plenty of room for monkies to stuff that one up. I saw a bloke use a C++ style deconstructor not realising that he was just specifying the method which the runtime uses when it's time for collection. It was me about 4 years ago...didn't do that again.

If you can move to Melbourne PM me. We might have a position for you.

I'm glad about your shirt.
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 11:29 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

My shirt is a $14 special from Target with a pocket on the breast complete with 12 pens.

I am also teaching myself .NET and the ukelele, my latest purchase is this:
http://music.amandapalmer.net/album/...agical-ukulele

Anyway, back on topic ...
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 11:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by DeadVim
My shirt is a $14 special from Target with a pocket on the breast complete with 12 pens.
It's good to know that we can rely on you mate.

The joke is of course not about pens in pockets, but having any pocket on a smart shirt. Pet peeve of the month.
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 11:44 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

It's good to know that we can rely on you mate.

The joke is of course not about pens in pockets, but having any pocket on a smart shirt. Pet peeve of the month.
Well, I don't own any smart shirts ... I like my pocket, it's somewhere to store the Go Card.

Looking around the gaff I don't think I'm underdressed for Brisbane
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 11:49 pm
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

I think you find a lot of 'non-Aussies' in IT roles because 1 in 5 people in Australia were born overseas. There simply aren't many Australian's here.
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 12:10 am
Forum Regular

littda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nicelittda01 is just really nice

Only been here 2 weeks, work for an IM consultancy. My new company cannot find Aussie talent, there just isn't enough out there. As a result has to recruit (people like me ) from overseas. Just recruited a few more from Europe and S Africa.

Have noticed the same issue generally in IT in Mel.

That said, coding is always commodity - shortsighted companies will always look to the cheapest option, and these days there's lots of them. Same is true most places in the world now.
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 12:31 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by littda01
Only been here 2 weeks, work for an IM consultancy. My new company cannot find Aussie talent, there just isn't enough out there. As a result has to recruit (people like me ) from overseas. Just recruited a few more from Europe and S Africa.

Have noticed the same issue generally in IT in Mel.

That said, coding is always commodity - shortsighted companies will always look to the cheapest option, and these days there's lots of them. Same is true most places in the world now.
If you've got the experience, there are still many IT jobs in Adelaide for under $60k.
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 12:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Shouting - no way - you were the one getting excited..I was thumbing along on a little E71...

I use IDipose a lot infact. But forgive me - isn't that mostly for hardware and the like - db connections and IO..maybe unmanaged code - you don't actually free up the resource in memory...(if you see what I mean). It's not as if you can free up a custom class. Say you have a class called WhatAMonkeyIAm : IAmAClueeless, IDispose you still don't get to destroy it even in the Dispose implementation. I need to sit down now.

What's your pattern like? Plenty of room for monkies to stuff that one up. I saw a bloke use a C++ style deconstructor not realising that he was just specifying the method which the runtime uses when it's time for collection. It was me about 4 years ago...didn't do that again.

I'm glad about your shirt.

You're actually alluding to memory management as such and not resource freeing up. Subtle but important distinction. (I think?)

In its default implementation, GC is quite efficient in freeing up memory so you wouldn't and probably shouldn't try to do away with not using specially in the case of .net classes.

What you may want to do is use Finalize() and override this and do your clean up. (If you're wanting to clean up yourself and not wait for GC).

However, if your app has memory leaks and is suffering from slow response (specially after a few runs), you need to get a memory visualization and use a profiler to do this.

It will give you an idea of which .net object using how much memory and how often does a function get called.

One of the things to look out for is if you declare an event handler somewhere in your code, make sure you remove it!
This is because the GC will not collect the EH because it still is effectively 'live'.

Anyway memory profiling is only a part of optimisation process.

About IDispose, just because the language runtime doesn't force a usage pattern on you doesn't mean it isn't important.

If the object you are using implements IDisposable (or even just a public Dispose method),

you should properly scope the code and then dispose of the resource in a try/finally block.

Without the try/finally block, the call to Dispose will never be reached if the calling methods cause an exception.

I saw a bloke use a C++ style deconstructor not realising that he was just specifying the method which the runtime uses when it's time for collection
This is really funny. D'oh!

I appreciate your offer mate The one who thinks she is the boss needs to be consulted first though so hold the offer...Cheers though.

Last edited by Syedney; Jul 23rd 2010 at 12:35 am.
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 1:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

I appreciate your offer mate The one who thinks she is the boss needs to be consulted first though so hold the offer...Cheers though.
If you have to ask her permission then she would definitely classify as THE BOSS!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.