Reload this Page >

certified copy of degree certificate

certified copy of degree certificate

Old May 20th 2002, 10:00 am
Forum Regular

pete2002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default certified copy of degree certificate

Hi guys,

Just a simple one I hope. I'm gathering together the documentation needed for a skills assessment.

With regards to the certified copy of my degree certificate, I spoke to the Uni and they said just to send some photocopies of my certificate to them and they would certify them and send them back.

They've done this and the copies are dated and certified by the Dean of the faculty.

My question - is this ok or would I be better getting them done by a solicitor?

Surely a certification from the awarding institution is as good (if not better?) than one from a solicitor who knows nothing about it?!

Please advise folks!
Old May 20th 2002, 10:09 am
BE Enthusiast

SuzeM is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: certified copy of degree certificate

Hi Pete
We used an agent for our application and were told that the certifying person must have legal qualifications, so I took my degrees, diplomas, cycling proficiency certificate (just kidding) etc to a local solicitor who certified the job lot for £10. Hope this was useful.
Sue
Old May 20th 2002, 5:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

sophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nice

Hi there,

Sue is right I think it has to be either a Notary Public (don't use these as they charge the earth from what I've seen on this site!!) or a solicitor (for some reason they aren't allowed to charge the earth for this...ours charged ZERO!)

You would think the Dean would be good enough wouldn't you? But there you go!!

love sophia x
Old May 20th 2002, 5:28 pm
Hot and sweaty member!!

yvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
I used a solicitor to certify my docs...He was going to charge £5 per certification!!!!!!!!!!!!...I nearly had a fit and said but there are going to be about 40...so he charged me by the hour....£100...god Im in the wrong job..........
It took him 3/4hr..ie £75.........much more than SueandIan

I should've looked round perhaps...but as ever wanted it doing yesterday......got a bee in my bonnet and had to send skills assessment like NOW.I have to say...............40 documents was getting ready for things for visa application too...so that as soon as skills assessment comes back I can whizz to the post office and send it off...................hopefully before fee goes up at beg of july!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old May 20th 2002, 10:20 pm
Jaj

If you had rung around you've have been able to find solicitors willing to charge
GBP5 or GBP10 for certifying a whole sheaf of documents.

45 mins is a long time to certify 40 pieces of paper, in my opinion.

Jeremy

>On 20 May 2002 18:20:19 GMT, yvsie <[email protected]> wrote: Hi, I used a
    >solicitor to certify my docs...He was going to charge £5 per
    >certification!!!!!!!!!!!!...I nearly had a fit and said but there are going to be
    >about 40...so he charged me by the hour....£100...god Im in the wrong job..........
    >It took him 3/4hr..ie £75.........much more than SueandIan
    >
    >I should've looked round perhaps...but as ever wanted it doing yesterday......got a
    >bee in my bonnet and had to send skills assessment like NOW.I have to
    >say...............40 documents was getting ready for things for visa application
    >too...so that as soon as skills assessment comes back I can whizz to the post office
    >and send it off...................hopefully before fee goes up at beg of
    >july!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    >
    >
    >
    >--
    >Yvonne
    >
    >BBQ & VB
    >
    >Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old May 21st 2002, 7:54 am
Forum Regular

iancurtis is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't know if this is just in Scotland but I went down to our local Sheriff Court and got the Justice of the Peace (a sort of magistrate) to do it for nothing.
Old May 21st 2002, 8:23 am
Forum Regular

pete2002 is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks everyone,

I guess the Dean's effort gets lobbed in the bin then. Off to find a cheap and cheerful solicitor now..... hoo hum.