British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Certified Copies - can the police do this ? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/certified-copies-can-police-do-106719/)

windsordave Feb 20th 2002 10:47 am

Certified Copies - can the police do this ?

Hello all

firstly, youre all brilliant ! this site is the dogs !

second, Im about to send my ACS docs in but want to know if anyone has had thier documents certified by a police officer AND if that was acceptable to the ACS (and ultimately to the Immigration office).

I know similar questions have been posted before but I cant find confirmation on this point

ta muchly

Dave

Daves Feb 20th 2002 2:46 pm

Re: Certified Copies - can the police do this ?

No, a Police officer will not do. It has to be a Notary Public here in the UK.
They're listed in the Yellow Pages and are generally solicitors who have a special
registration to allow them to certify documents and charge you an arm-and-a-leg in
the process.

One piece of advice is to get ALL your documents together that you're going to need
certified and get it done in one go. My NP charged on a time basis rather than number
of copies. Try to include everything, not just that required for the ACS.

"windsordave" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Hello all
    >
    > firstly, youre all brilliant ! this site is the dogs !
    >
    > second, Im about to send my ACS docs in but want to know if anyone has had thier
    > documents certified by a police officer AND if that was acceptable to the ACS (and
    > ultimately to the Immigration office).
    >
    > I know similar questions have been posted before but I cant find confirmation on
    > this point
    >
    > ta muchly
    >
    > Dave
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

@boy Feb 20th 2002 3:27 pm

x

x

sophia Feb 20th 2002 4:42 pm

Our solicitor didn't charge us for certifying our documents, only thing we were charged for was our statutory declarations (think only applies to spouse visas) and that was £5 each.

Jamie Corr Feb 20th 2002 7:05 pm

A notarised copy is a very different thing to a certified copy - a notarised copy is
as good as the original document, whereas a certified copy is merely something that
someone official (in Australia it can be nearly anybody) has certified is a true
copy. DIMA only requires a certified copy, presumably because they reserve the right
to request original documents where they feel like it.

Regards

Jamie Corr

"DaveS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > No, a Police officer will not do. It has to be a Notary Public here in the UK.
    > They're listed in the Yellow Pages and are generally solicitors who have a special
    > registration to allow them to certify documents and charge you an arm-and-a-leg in
    > the process.
    >
    > One piece of advice is to get ALL your documents together that you're going to need
    > certified and get it done in one go. My NP charged on a time basis rather than
    > number of copies. Try to include everything, not just that required for the ACS.
    >
    > "windsordave" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Hello all
    > >
    > > firstly, youre all brilliant ! this site is the dogs !
    > >
    > > second, Im about to send my ACS docs in but want to know if anyone has had thier
    > > documents certified by a police officer AND if that was acceptable to the ACS
    > > (and ultimately to the Immigration office).
    > >
    > > I know similar questions have been posted before but I cant find confirmation on
    > > this point
    > >
    > > ta muchly
    > >
    > > Dave
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > --
    > > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Protect The Inn Feb 20th 2002 8:45 pm

I had the local policewoman in good old brentwood, essex certify my docs and I have a
nice letter from the ACS saying that I am accepted.

Get the cops to do it - they do bugger all and they didn't charge me for
it. - charge me - gettit!!!

Dave "windsordave" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Hello all
    >
    > firstly, youre all brilliant ! this site is the dogs !
    >
    > second, Im about to send my ACS docs in but want to know if anyone has had thier
    > documents certified by a police officer AND if that was acceptable to the ACS (and
    > ultimately to the Immigration office).
    >
    > I know similar questions have been posted before but I cant find confirmation on
    > this point
    >
    > ta muchly
    >
    > Dave
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Daves Feb 21st 2002 10:05 am

Apologies for the inaccurate post..I definitley should have asked the same question
myself before proceeding..never mind, hopefully it'll produce the same result (with a
little extra cost on my side) good luck dave "Jamie Corr" <[email protected]> wrote
in message news:[email protected]...
    > A notarised copy is a very different thing to a certified copy - a
notarised
    > copy is as good as the original document, whereas a certified copy is
merely
    > something that someone official (in Australia it can be nearly anybody)
has
    > certified is a true copy. DIMA only requires a certified copy, presumably because
    > they reserve the right to request original documents where they
feel
    > like it.
    >
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Jamie Corr
    >
    >
    > "DaveS" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > No, a Police officer will not do. It has to be a Notary Public here in the UK.
    > > They're listed in the Yellow Pages and are generally solicitors who have a
    > > special registration to allow them to certify documents and charge you an
    > > arm-and-a-leg in the process.
    > >
    > > One piece of advice is to get ALL your documents together that you're going to
    > > need certified and get it done in one go. My NP charged on a time basis rather
    > > than number of copies. Try to include everything, not just that required for
    > > the ACS.
    > >
    > > "windsordave" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > Hello all
    > > >
    > > > firstly, youre all brilliant ! this site is the dogs !
    > > >
    > > > second, Im about to send my ACS docs in but want to know if anyone has had
    > > > thier documents certified by a police officer AND if that was acceptable to the
    > > > ACS (and ultimately to the Immigration office).
    > > >
    > > > I know similar questions have been posted before but I cant find confirmation
    > > > on this point
    > > >
    > > > ta muchly
    > > >
    > > > Dave
    > > >
    > > >
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Posted via http://britishexpats.com
    > >
    >

windsordave Feb 21st 2002 6:08 pm

Thanks all ... been down the station .... job done for nothing !

Now I can have a 6 week break from bloody forms !

Dave