Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Certified Birth Certificates

Certified Birth Certificates

Old Sep 20th 2005, 7:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

joanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud of
Default Certified Birth Certificates

Evening everyone, We are almost ready to send everything to our agent for the visa application. Have just returned from solicitors today to get everything certified for application. The problem i had though was he wouldn't certify the kids birth certificates as they were copies of the originals, (I only ever had the short version originals) so had to request a copy of each from the registry office. Apparently the solicitor says there is a copyright law for signing them as they are not originals!!! Has anyone heard of this before? and if so how do i get around the problem??
Thanks jo
Old Sep 20th 2005, 8:19 pm
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Certified Birth Certificates

Originally Posted by joanneS
Evening everyone, We are almost ready to send everything to our agent for the visa application. Have just returned from solicitors today to get everything certified for application. The problem i had though was he wouldn't certify the kids birth certificates as they were copies of the originals, (I only ever had the short version originals) so had to request a copy of each from the registry office. Apparently the solicitor says there is a copyright law for signing them as they are not originals!!! Has anyone heard of this before? and if so how do i get around the problem??
Thanks jo
Ok I asked the same question of my solicitor. The copies you get from the registry office say "Certified Copy of the Original" across the top - these are in fact the originals as far as Joe Public is concerned as the Original Originals are kept at Somerset House in London. You need the birth certs to be the LONG versions anyhow not the short ones..... so you would have needed to get those from the registry office....
Old Sep 20th 2005, 8:58 pm
Yume No Chikara

davecon will become famous soon enoughdavecon will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Jonahs_mummy
Ok I asked the same question of my solicitor. The copies you get from the registry office say "Certified Copy of the Original" across the top - these are in fact the originals as far as Joe Public is concerned as the Original Originals are kept at Somerset House in London. You need the birth certs to be the LONG versions anyhow not the short ones..... so you would have needed to get those from the registry office....
hi
do i need the long version for the TRA? iam sending copy of passport as well?
thanks
sue
Old Sep 20th 2005, 9:18 pm
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davecon
hi
do i need the long version for the TRA? iam sending copy of passport as well?
thanks
sue
Yes it has to be the long version as it needs to state your parents details - its about proving your "heritage" I think
Old Sep 20th 2005, 9:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

Our solicitor signed the photo copies. I actually bought a second set of birth certificates just incase we had to send originals off anyway, but as soneone else said even though it says certified copy on the top they are taken as originals
Old Sep 21st 2005, 3:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

joanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by mand8002
Our solicitor signed the photo copies. I actually bought a second set of birth certificates just incase we had to send originals off anyway, but as soneone else said even though it says certified copy on the top they are taken as originals
Thanks for the replies! I have got the long version certificate copies it was the short originals i had from birth but the solicitor says he cant sign the copies because of a new law!! Has anyone else had this problem recently???
thanks jo
Old Sep 21st 2005, 4:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for the replies! I have got the long version certificate copies it was the short originals i had from birth but the solicitor says he cant sign the copies because of a new law!! Has anyone else had this problem recently???
thanks jo
I've never heard of this as far as I am aware all birth certificates say they are a certified copy because that is exactly what they are. Solicitors should be able to certify a photocopy as being a copy of the certified copy birth certificate.

Have you tried calling another solicitor and seeing what they say.
Old Sep 21st 2005, 6:03 pm
Living & Loving in Perth

hoops is a splendid one to beholdhoops is a splendid one to beholdhoops is a splendid one to beholdhoops is a splendid one to beholdhoops is a splendid one to beholdhoops is a splendid one to beholdhoops is a splendid one to beholdhoops is a splendid one to beholdhoops is a splendid one to beholdhoops is a splendid one to beholdhoops is a splendid one to behold

Thanks jo

Hi

Is this the same for adults - hubby only has short version, and as for me I can't find mine :scared: - so if anyone has any ideas how I get a copy (born in Kent, live in Somerset) would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Hoops (mrs)
Old Sep 21st 2005, 6:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hoops
Hi

Is this the same for adults - hubby only has short version, and as for me I can't find mine :scared: - so if anyone has any ideas how I get a copy (born in Kent, live in Somerset) would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Hoops (mrs)
Yes it is the same for everyone who is to be included on the visa. Contact the local registry office where you were born and they will send you a copy of a full one for a fee (can't remember exactly how much I paid though). and in answer to the above thread i think i will contact another solicitor tomorrow!!!! Thanks for your help jox
Old Sep 21st 2005, 6:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute

You should be able to get the birth certificates certified using copies provided by the registry office no problems. We have just had ours done and we had to get copies for 3 of the family as they didn't have the long versions and had no comments about it being a problem. I would just ask elsewhere. Good luck.
Old Sep 21st 2005, 6:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NickyP
You should be able to get the birth certificates certified using copies provided by the registry office no problems. We have just had ours done and we had to get copies for 3 of the family as they didn't have the long versions and had no comments about it being a problem. I would just ask elsewhere. Good luck.
Thanks for that Nicky, will definitely look for another solicitors tomorrow! and then I can relax and worry!!!! for the next few months!!!
Old Sep 21st 2005, 7:24 pm
Forum Regular

micnic is a jewel in the roughmicnic is a jewel in the roughmicnic is a jewel in the roughmicnic is a jewel in the roughmicnic is a jewel in the rough

Thanks jo
Definitely seek the services of another solicitor. I am a solicitor in the South and have on numerous occasions signed certified copies of birth certificates. I am not aware of any new law that prevents this. (am now praying that I am right and am not made to look completely stupid!).
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 3:15 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Thanks
Hoops (mrs)
Take a look at this page:
http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/ind...re_to_get.html

Jeremy
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 3:41 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks jo
just go to register office and get full b. cert. it cost about 7 pound
Old Sep 22nd 2005, 4:41 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Hi

Thanks
Hoops (mrs)
You can also do it online if you want . You can get it from the main GRO instead of the local reg office where you were registered.
It costs just 7 pounds from them if you provide the ref numbers for your birth entry, which I assume you haven't got - I could get your ref numbers for you if your willing to say your name and when you were born etc , I have a few spare credits on 1837 so could search for the ref numbers for you, but obviously I wouldn't give out those details to a stranger if I were you -I could be a mass murder or something lol

It will cost you just a few extra pounds ( 11.50) for the birth cert without the ref volume page number from the GRO online .
Haven't got a clue about the local reg offices prices , I always use the GRO's online ordering to order all my certficates.

My certifcates usually take around two weeks to get here by post to Aus, should be a lot quicker there in the uk of course.

I'm always ordering certified Birth, Marriage and deaths certs off them ( geneology purposes)
I actually ordered and got my own one ( my birth not my death lol) just a few weeks ago as I've never had a full one for my own birth, I had just a short one. I've never needed my full one in the past. I didn't need my full one here for my Pr visa here a few years back, or when I took out my citizenship and also got my Aussie passport - I need my full one now for a Irish passport I'm applying for ( by decent, my mum is Irish) - I collect passports lol

Anyway here is the direct link if you want to order your full certified birth cert online from the England and Wales GRO, and if you haven't got the time to go to the local registry office in Kent where you were born
http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificate/

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/ce.../faqs.asp#bmd3 ( explains it all for you)

ref numbers below online ,if you want to find your birth ref and volume number and just pay the 7 pounds from the GRO instead of the 11.50 pounds without the ref numbers :
http://www.1837online.com/Trace2web/resources/births/ ( pay for site)

cheers

Last edited by Ceri; Sep 22nd 2005 at 5:38 am.