Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cerebral Palsy ?

Cerebral Palsy ?

Old Apr 5th 2007, 8:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Phoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to behold
Default Cerebral Palsy ?

So i'm doing the goodbyes and stuff - my only sister said something tonight that made me wonder.

She was saying how lucky we were to be going - and how she could never have that chance.

Her daughter has CP aged 9. I don't know if there is correct term but my nieces problems extend to physical ones only - she is mentally as bright if not more so than her peers. She does require the use of a motorised wheelchair which she manouvers herself and goes to mainstream school.

My musings were - Is it out of the question like my sis thinks ?

I know there is the medical condition not putting a strain on healthcare but to be honest I don't recall exactly the last time she was in hospital for any significant length of time in the last 6 years at least. Her needs are more physical and in Aus that would be my sis' responsibility i'd have thought?

Certainly not at any stage like asking an agent - was just my thoughts really in regard to what she said about never having the chance.
Old Apr 6th 2007, 10:09 pm
Forum Regular

cardmaker2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cerebral Palsy ?

Your sister's daughters CP should not be too much of a problem.

We have a daughter with CP and had similar concerns and found it did not affect our application.
Old Apr 7th 2007, 3:47 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by phoenix_uk
So i'm doing the goodbyes and stuff - my only sister said something tonight that made me wonder.

She was saying how lucky we were to be going - and how she could never have that chance.

Her daughter has CP aged 9. I don't know if there is correct term but my nieces problems extend to physical ones only - she is mentally as bright if not more so than her peers. She does require the use of a motorised wheelchair which she manouvers herself and goes to mainstream school.

I know there is the medical condition not putting a strain on healthcare but to be honest I don't recall exactly the last time she was in hospital for any significant length of time in the last 6 years at least. Her needs are more physical and in Aus that would be my sis' responsibility i'd have thought?

Certainly not at any stage like asking an agent - was just my thoughts really in regard to what she said about never having the chance.
They look at more than just health cost. Community support costs are also taken into consideration.

Unless it's a spouse/child visa where a health waiver applies, I would think that this condition would be a show-stopper in most cases. But if she wants to know for sure, she'd need to discuss with an agent who deals in medical issues regularly. For example, Peter Bollard.
Old Apr 7th 2007, 7:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Phoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by cardmaker2
Your sister's daughters CP should not be too much of a problem.

We have a daughter with CP and had similar concerns and found it did not affect our application.
Are you in Aus now ? If so - how are you finding things with your daughter ?
Old Apr 7th 2007, 12:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

mbike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Notwithstanding the immigration issues, if she was thinking of coming to WA, she might like to check out the website of the Centre for Cerebral Palsy here:
http://www.cpawa.com.au/content.php?page=1
They are a lovely lot who do stuff for people with CP and their families. It would give her an idea of rest-of-life services for her daughter.

Good luck

Mark
Old Apr 7th 2007, 2:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mbike
Hi,

Notwithstanding the immigration issues, if she was thinking of coming to WA, she might like to check out the website of the Centre for Cerebral Palsy here:
http://www.cpawa.com.au/content.php?page=1
They are a lovely lot who do stuff for people with CP and their families. It would give her an idea of rest-of-life services for her daughter.

Good luck

Mark
Thank you for the link
Old Apr 7th 2007, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

cardmaker2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Are you in Aus now ? If so - how are you finding things with your daughter ?
we are not in Oz at the moment but have had our visa now for a couple of years. We plan to move when it suits our eldest daughters education which is inthe very mear fuiture.