Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Ceramic Tiler heading for Perth

Ceramic Tiler heading for Perth

Old Apr 24th 2007, 9:25 pm
Forum Regular

Daxver will become famous soon enoughDaxver will become famous soon enough
Default Ceramic Tiler heading for Perth

Hi all, I am new to this so be gentle with me!

Just looking for some help and advice..My husband is a qualified tradesman, Ceramic Wall and Floor Tiler with 18 yrs experience, Self employed here. We have gone through the TRA process (thank god thats over!!) and have lodged our visa applications. We hope to be Perth bound Oct/Nov time but Jan 08 at the latest, and we will have 3 wee ones in tow!!

Can anyone advise if there is work out there for tilers?? and any area we should look at first? Also, any ideas of the going rate and would David look to be self-employed out there or is there a chance of working for a company?

Any advice on areas etc would be greatly appreciated as I am going through the whole "Oh my god, are we doing the right thing" way of thinking right now.

Thanks very much
Michelle

By the way, would love to come to the next meet up with fellow scots, is there anything arranged for the future?
Old Apr 25th 2007, 1:00 am
Short Term Holiday Rental

cedar cottage has a spectacular aura aboutcedar cottage has a spectacular aura aboutcedar cottage has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Ceramic Tiler heading for Perth

Originally Posted by Daxver

Just looking for some help and advice..My husband is a qualified tradesman, Ceramic Wall and Floor Tiler with 18 yrs experience, Self employed here. We have gone through the TRA process (thank god thats over!!) and have lodged our visa applications. We hope to be Perth bound Oct/Nov time but Jan 08 at the latest, and we will have 3 wee ones in tow!!

Can anyone advise if there is work out there for tilers?? and any area we should look at first? Also, any ideas of the going rate and would David look to be self-employed out there or is there a chance of working for a company?

Any advice on areas etc would be greatly appreciated as I am going through the whole "Oh my god, are we doing the right thing" way of thinking right now.

Thanks very much
Michelle

By the way, would love to come to the next meet up with fellow scots, is there anything arranged for the future?
I cant help with rates etc, but there is a lot of work for all trades in Perth at the moment. Good luck with all your plans. Suzette.
Old Apr 25th 2007, 7:05 am
Forum Regular

sam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nice

Thanks very much
Michelle

we are looking at perth to! oh tiler 18 years exp ! geordies just doon the road ! if you have enough funds until he gets his own work subbing to builders go for that! otherwise hit the tiling firms a.s.a.p! he has worked in queensland before so has oz exp. the rates vary so shop around first $30 phr is good and $20-30 p m2 p.s there is a lot of silicone work! get a price for that to !!!!!!!
Old Apr 25th 2007, 8:06 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the advice and the best wishes!

To Sam Mick Kurt, have you any idea when you are heading out, how far through the process are you?? Hubby asking if you have any idea if it is the same adhesives and grouts that they use out there and is there a lot of screeding? Sorry for all the questions!!

michelle
Old Apr 26th 2007, 12:29 pm
Forum Regular

nzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nicenzer57 is just really nice

Oz flooring systems rely heavily on tiling. No shortage of work and there's always a shortage of skilled labour.

Work for someone when you/he gets here and get the lay of the land, network, connections, sources etc then he shouldn't have too much trouble establishing himself in his own right.

Perth will see a steady demand for new housing for the foreseeable future due to the heavy demand here for labour especially in mining and resources. He could expect to see constant demand for at least 10 years.
Old Apr 26th 2007, 1:52 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Most builders insist on their tilers following the Australian Standards or the Building Code of Australia. As a tilers we all have to follow AS 3740, you can buy a copy online from AS.
As for adhesives, it's all called glue here, if you ask for adhesive you'll get a blank look. The norm is that on concrete floors you should use a rubber modified. On timber floors you use either a 2 part isoflex or similar, there is a new one part out that's suitable it only remains potable for about 20 mins though so it's a pain to use. AS stipulate that any area longer than 9m has to have a silicon movement joint in it, I'm sure that distance could have been lowered as we now place movement joints every four linear metres for a couple of the builders we work for. For walls we use a non slump mastic on most areas, it's easy to spring a line and work downwards with. For areas fully wet sealed I personally use a rubber modified or a one part isoflex type product. Within the shower hob floor the only suitable glue is a cement based one we use standard or super tile set.
Screeding is only required in Qld if there is a living area below ie it's required on 1st floor bathrooms etc. I wouldn't know about what's the norm in WA it's a different state with it's own regs someone will give you a definitive answer though.
The links below will give you an idea of the various products available here in Australia. They are two or the major suppliers.
Good luck
http://www.ardexaustralia.com/
http://www.constructionchemicals.com.au/
Old Apr 26th 2007, 3:59 pm
Essex Staffy

daveplumber has a brilliant futuredaveplumber has a brilliant futuredaveplumber has a brilliant futuredaveplumber has a brilliant futuredaveplumber has a brilliant futuredaveplumber has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by cresta57
Most builders insist on their tilers following the Australian Standards or the Building Code of Australia. As a tilers we all have to follow AS 3740, you can buy a copy online from AS.
As for adhesives, it's all called glue here, if you ask for adhesive you'll get a blank look. The norm is that on concrete floors you should use a rubber modified. On timber floors you use either a 2 part isoflex or similar, there is a new one part out that's suitable it only remains potable for about 20 mins though so it's a pain to use. AS stipulate that any area longer than 9m has to have a silicon movement joint in it, I'm sure that distance could have been lowered as we now place movement joints every four linear metres for a couple of the builders we work for. For walls we use a non slump mastic on most areas, it's easy to spring a line and work downwards with. For areas fully wet sealed I personally use a rubber modified or a one part isoflex type product. Within the shower hob floor the only suitable glue is a cement based one we use standard or super tile set.
Screeding is only required in Qld if there is a living area below ie it's required on 1st floor bathrooms etc. I wouldn't know about what's the norm in WA it's a different state with it's own regs someone will give you a definitive answer though.
The links below will give you an idea of the various products available here in Australia. They are two or the major suppliers.
Good luck
http://www.ardexaustralia.com/
http://www.constructionchemicals.com.au/
Keeping an eye on this 1 for Western Australia
Old Apr 26th 2007, 6:16 pm
Forum Regular

sam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nice

Thanks for the advice and the best wishes!

To Sam Mick Kurt, have you any idea when you are heading out, how far through the process are you?? Hubby asking if you have any idea if it is the same adhesives and grouts that they use out there and is there a lot of screeding? Sorry for all the questions!!

michelle
we are just starting process again! the adhesive and grout are pretty much the same just not rapid setting! they have ardex and mapei over there to but the ozzy stuff is no bad! the wall stuff ready mixed is like piss but it hangs the tiles because they use cement sheets in the bathrooms!!! you will only have to screed inside the shower base to the drain!''easy'' anything more dont hesitate to ask!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Apr 26th 2007, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

Huge thanks to everyone for their advice, its been great and the links will be really useful.

Just one last thing though (maybe, well for this post anyway!) what is the rough average area that is expected to be tiled each day? ie here I would lay, tile and grout 25 m2 (walls) 35 m2 (floors) a day, is this still possible?

Thanks again

Michelle (with Davie shouting instructions at me!)
Old Apr 26th 2007, 8:57 pm
Essex Staffy

daveplumber has a brilliant futuredaveplumber has a brilliant futuredaveplumber has a brilliant futuredaveplumber has a brilliant futuredaveplumber has a brilliant futuredaveplumber has a brilliant future

Huge thanks to everyone for their advice, its been great and the links will be really useful.

Just one last thing though (maybe, well for this post anyway!) what is the rough average area that is expected to be tiled each day? ie here I would lay, tile and grout 25 m2 (walls) 35 m2 (floors) a day, is this still possible?

Thanks again

So £20 per metre here on walls and £25 on floors what you going to oz for mate, you aint goin to earn the same money there ???????????????
Old Apr 26th 2007, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

Sorry, thats not money that was area tiled per day!

Davie
Old Apr 26th 2007, 11:58 pm
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

Can anyone advise if there is work out there for tilers?? ?
Do I like Stella Artois?

Fill yer boots ... and you want a minimum of $45/m2.

You'll be rich ... rich I tell you.

Old Apr 27th 2007, 6:04 am
Forum Regular

Thanks again

just work your average day mate! you dont always do 25m2 a day as you know it varys!!! and you dont get $45 a m2 everywhere ''thats a good price'' beware some prices include glue and grout per m2 and silicone that you supply!!!!! you will do well! but keep your feet on the ground and eyes wide open.
yes you can make $3500-4500 a week!! but you know what price work is like !!! the rough with the smooth!! consentrate on spot on work and no come backs!! cant stress that enough!!!!! even if you do 15m2 a day thats still good wedge!!!! '' but if your on the books you will get less''
$64000 a year for hourly rate!! $1230 a week! and thats more than then average wage for some blue collar workers!
if you get there before me just make sure your graft is spot on and keep some for me !!!! micky .a
Old Apr 27th 2007, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

thanks again evryone. I know exactly what u mean micky, we are hoping to be there January at the very latest what about you? I heard a lot about needing liability insurance etc over there or the builder does not pay, is this true? and roughly how much, is it better to work in a team or solo I know doing big areas it is better to work in two's.
loads 'o' questions i know but better to be ready for things

Cheers

Davie
Old Apr 27th 2007, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

thanks again evryone. I know exactly what u mean micky, we are hoping to be there January at the very latest what about you? I heard a lot about needing liability insurance etc over there or the builder does not pay, is this true? and roughly how much, is it better to work in a team or solo I know doing big areas it is better to work in two's.
loads 'o' questions i know but better to be ready for things

Cheers

Davie
alright davie! if the graft is there its better to work as a pair! you get through the graft quicker wich means your reputation gets around faster!! thats how i work at the moment over here, started own firm in september and its flyin! 2man team and maybe a boy !!! but all depends on the rate of work you can pick up!! should make decent wedge in oz but like here it may be feast or famine!! at least if you dont have a full week of work you can take the family for a day oot! p.s what type or car/ute you lookin at???
i was thinkin about a second hand nissan patrol ''big enough for work and the family'' cheap to ! and they are good offroad. get 1 for $4000-10,000

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.