British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Centrelink Payment ????? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/centrelink-payment-685008/)

Wendy Sep 13th 2010 12:24 pm

Re: Centrelink Payment ?????

Originally Posted by milly123 (Post 8844676)
Doing great, we move to the Gold Coast in nov, Hubby in WA karatha 4on 1of. Do you still do the meet ups.

Yeah, Clare told me you'd moved. Glad it's been good for you.

I don't really have time to do meet ups these days. Although I do meet the Northern girls for cake now and again. I think the last real 'biggish' meetup I arranged must be well over 18 months ago now.

I seem to go to lots of dinner dances and stuff with work though...love my job :D

milly123 Sep 13th 2010 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by Wendy (Post 8844685)
Yeah, Clare told me you'd moved. Glad it's been good for you.

I don't really have time to do meet ups these days. Although I do meet the Northern girls for cake now and again. I think the last real 'biggish' meetup I arranged must be well over 18 months ago now.

I seem to go to lots of dinner dances and stuff with work though...love my job :D

Nice to see someone who does, I am still at DEWER ( goverment dept) Arrr

Wendy Sep 13th 2010 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by milly123 (Post 8844694)
Nice to see someone who does, I am still at DEWER ( goverment dept) Arrr

I work very closely with DTEI - they are our client. That's probably the closest I'll come to working with the government :D

Bix Sep 13th 2010 12:32 pm

An Indian friend of mine is in a similar situation right now having lost his job.

He already received child benefit but cannot claim Newstart allowance as he has not completed the 2 years on PR.

He is also now able to claim rent assistance but it is just that - assistance.

It does not cover the whole rent as he and his wife do not count. It is a proportional allowance just for the 2 children but I don't know what proportion.

milly123 Sep 13th 2010 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by Wendy (Post 8844702)
I work very closely with DTEI - they are our client. That's probably the closest I'll come to working with the government :D

Good sence :)

dave99 Sep 14th 2010 11:18 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 8844596)
Exactly, Bunnings is a bit like Coles, Woolies, BiLo etc - they want the youngsters cos they are cheaper to employ. Not the same as back home where supermarkets, B&Q etc were always good standbys for work. I tried all of them when I first came here but the kids were their preference.

Nah they want anyone whos willing to work, in most bunnings you will see a range of all ages, from young kids to retired any anything else between

As for qualifications, theres no such thing as being over qualified. My friend whos a qualified accountant 35 years old went to work at bunnings for a year doing basic customer service work, manning the tills, service desks etc

Dorothy Sep 14th 2010 11:26 am

Originally Posted by dave99 (Post 8847142)
Nah they want anyone whos willing to work, in most bunnings you will see a range of all ages, from young kids to retired any anything else between

As for qualifications, theres no such thing as being over qualified. My friend whos a qualified accountant 35 years old went to work at bunnings for a year doing basic customer service work, manning the tills, service desks etc

Fantastic if you can get it. My husband was turned down at Bunnings, Mitre 10, Coles, Woolies, local bike shop, corner store, and just about every other job just to tide us over. The feedback from them was that they knew he wouldn't be sticking around once he found a job in his field so they preferred to hire someone who would stay for more than a couple of weeks.

Wendy Sep 14th 2010 11:31 am

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 8847152)
Fantastic if you can get it. My husband was turned down at Bunnings, Mitre 10, Coles, Woolies, local bike shop, corner store, and just about every other job just to tide us over. The feedback from them was that they knew he wouldn't be sticking around once he found a job in his field so they preferred to hire someone who would stay for more than a couple of weeks.

Yep, same answer my friend got.

Pollyana Sep 15th 2010 8:17 am

Not in my experience - or it seems the experience of others on the forum. I also know Aussies in the 30s and 40s who have tried numerous supermarkets, Bunnings etc and had no luck and been told its because they aren't kids, they aren't likely to stay, were too highly qualified etc.
I'm sure some people do manage to get jobs there, not doubting it, but as a general rule they prefer youngsters.

elice_in_oz Sep 16th 2010 9:16 pm

I attended a talk by Bunnings' national HR manager, and he made it clear that although it's great to work there, it very hard to get in as they tend to keep people on a long time as Polly and others have said. I chatted with him afterwards and he did confirm that you'd most likely have to apply for an advertised position as they don't hire walk-ins.