Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Centrelink Payment ?????

Centrelink Payment ?????

Old Sep 13th 2010, 1:12 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Centrelink Payment ?????

When I came here in 1983 (yes, I know things have changed since then) on a PR visa I could ( and did) claim unemployment benefit after the first 2-3 months. I had 6 weeks work in the first 7 months before landing a full-time temporary position from which I moved into a permanent job.

In the last 27 years I have repaid any benefits many times over in income tax, GST, fuel excise, etc and feel no guilt about having received support from the government whilst getting established here.
Old Sep 13th 2010, 4:34 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
she loves chicken
Yeah my mutt too!

"just get a job doin anything!"

In the UK you can do this. Over here jobs at Bunnings, Macca's, KFC, Coles, Woolies etc etc etc are sought after ...

Boy's been looking / applying for 9 months without an interview ...
Old Sep 13th 2010, 6:21 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by PaulandNic
Yeah my mutt too!

"just get a job doin anything!"

In the UK you can do this. Over here jobs at Bunnings, Macca's, KFC, Coles, Woolies etc etc etc are sought after ...

Boy's been looking / applying for 9 months without an interview ...
Too many migrants arriving taking the jobs

Old Sep 13th 2010, 10:11 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Too many migrants arriving taking the jobs
Indeed! ...

Incidently, he's at last got an interview with KFC tomorrow ...
Old Sep 13th 2010, 10:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Indeed! ...

Incidently, he's at last got an interview with KFC tomorrow ...
That's a start, hope he gets it

My son works at Macca's. He waited for about 2 months for an interview, then eventually got one. They told him he had the job but had to do something online - a bit like a health and hygiene cert - then they would call him with details of his first shift. His first shift was 4 weeks later

They're certainly not in a hurry

Gotta say though, he loves working there. Mind you apart from the manager he's probably the oldest there...he's 17
Old Sep 13th 2010, 10:59 am
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
Mate, to be fair english is his second language. If any of us can speak and write his language as good as he does ours, then maybe we can criticize.

geting a job in Aus during a recession aint easy, and less so if english is not your first language. You just need to keep trying and sometimes start from the bottom. Good luck to the OP and anyone else looking
Regardless if English is your second language, if your applying in an English speaking country you need to have a good standard of it. I wouldn’t travel to France or Russia and expect them to put up with me not being able to speak or write their languages very well. I wouldn’t expect to get a job there if my applications made little sense.

I have recently gone through a period of unemployment and had to deal with the struggle to get work again, fighting through all the agencies nonsense.

If you want work there is always some around though. If you are as desperate as the OP made it sound, that he has to sign on and is going to struggle to feed his kids. He could walk into Bunnings and get a job straight away, with a reasonable wage and the only requirements being that you turn up and do some work.
Old Sep 13th 2010, 11:14 am
BE Forum Addict

camacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nice

Originally Posted by dave99
Regardless if English is your second language, if your applying in an English speaking country you need to have a good standard of it. I wouldn’t travel to France or Russia and expect them to put up with me not being able to speak or write their languages very well. I wouldn’t expect to get a job there if my applications made little sense.

I have recently gone through a period of unemployment and had to deal with the struggle to get work again, fighting through all the agencies nonsense.

If you want work there is always some around though. If you are as desperate as the OP made it sound, that he has to sign on and is going to struggle to feed his kids. He could walk into Bunnings and get a job straight away, with a reasonable wage and the only requirements being that you turn up and do some work.
i really dont think it would be that easy!!!!
Old Sep 13th 2010, 11:20 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Wendy
That's a start, hope he gets it

My son works at Macca's. He waited for about 2 months for an interview, then eventually got one. They told him he had the job but had to do something online - a bit like a health and hygiene cert - then they would call him with details of his first shift. His first shift was 4 weeks later

They're certainly not in a hurry

Gotta say though, he loves working there. Mind you apart from the manager he's probably the oldest there...he's 17
Cheers Wendy ...

Yeah Macca's took months and 2 interviews to tell me they couldn't employ me on a temp visa ...
Old Sep 13th 2010, 11:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave99

I know someone who applied at Bunnings for a job. Got told he was over qualified.

Cheers Wendy ...

Yeah Macca's took months and 2 interviews to tell me they couldn't employ me on a temp visa ...
Sounds about right. Burgers are better at Hungry Jacks anyway
Old Sep 13th 2010, 11:28 am
Account Closed

Sounds about right. Burgers are better at Hungry Jacks anyway
Agreed! ...
Old Sep 13th 2010, 11:32 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I know someone who applied at Bunnings for a job. Got told he was over qualified.

Exactly, Bunnings is a bit like Coles, Woolies, BiLo etc - they want the youngsters cos they are cheaper to employ. Not the same as back home where supermarkets, B&Q etc were always good standbys for work. I tried all of them when I first came here but the kids were their preference.
Old Sep 13th 2010, 11:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Exactly, Bunnings is a bit like Coles, Woolies, BiLo etc - they want the youngsters cos they are cheaper to employ. Not the same as back home where supermarkets, B&Q etc were always good standbys for work. I tried all of them when I first came here but the kids were their preference.
Exactly.

It took me 2 years to find work, and I'm only in accounts! Hardly rocket science

I had to temp for over 12 months. Luckily I impressed my current boss enough that he head hunted me. Took a while to get through the 'employment process' with the company though. They would have rather kept me as a temp and not had to pay holidays etc.
Old Sep 13th 2010, 12:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

milly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to all

Exactly.

It took me 2 years to find work, and I'm only in accounts! Hardly rocket science

I had to temp for over 12 months. Luckily I impressed my current boss enough that he head hunted me. Took a while to get through the 'employment process' with the company though. They would have rather kept me as a temp and not had to pay holidays etc.
Hi, how r u , clare said she met up with you while she was in the north. My youngest works at Macs , she has been there nearly a yr now loves it , its like a youth club they get paid for.
Old Sep 13th 2010, 12:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by milly123
Hi, how r u , clare said she met up with you while she was in the north. My youngest works at Macs , she has been there nearly a yr now loves it , its like a youth club they get paid for.
Hello stranger

Yeah, I met Clare when she was up here. She's so lovely. How are you anyway? it's been such a long time since I spoke with you last? (maybe you should either PM me or post on my thread in the Barbie - I don't want to get shouted at )

Chris is loving he job too. He wanted to finish school and work there full time he's only got 8 weeks of school left silly boy he is lol

I obviously told him NO!
Old Sep 13th 2010, 12:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

milly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to all

Hello stranger

Yeah, I met Clare when she was up here. She's so lovely. How are you anyway? it's been such a long time since I spoke with you last? (maybe you should either PM me or post on my thread in the Barbie - I don't want to get shouted at )

Chris is loving he job too. He wanted to finish school and work there full time he's only got 8 weeks of school left silly boy he is lol

I obviously told him NO!
Doing great, we move to the Gold Coast in nov, Hubby in WA karatha 4on 1of. Do you still do the meet ups.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.