Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Centrelink Payment ?????

Centrelink Payment ?????

Old Sep 12th 2010, 11:09 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Centrelink Payment ?????

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I don't think the OP is trying to rely on benefits. He's asking a simple question; whether he as a PR is entitled to child benefit and rent assistance. The same things many - no, most - of the other permanent residents on this site have taken advantage of. If you came here with young children you would have been entitled just like we were/are and it's most likely you would have applied just like the rest of us have.
The OP stated this "My wife and 6 month old child will come in Nov, so i have to plan for worst case by that time. Thats y i ask this question. Because i can't keep my child starving here"

This implies he has no money to keep his child from starving. Child Tax benefit hardly pays the food bills never mind living expenses.

And for information, I did come with young children. We did receive child benefit. Rent assistence was not applied for as we didn't need it. we paid our own way. And the child benefit was in no way intended nor used to stop our kids from starving. We did that by making sure we had enough to keep us going for at least two years knowing we couldn't claim. And given we'd paid no Aus tax's at that time, we figured that was about right.
Old Sep 12th 2010, 12:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by muditha
I doubt you are in Australia. Because then you should have known the situation here. I'll tell the thing to you to understand. I came to Dandenong, Victoria on end of July. Since then i'm searching for jobs and couldn't find at least a part time. My wife and 6 month old child will come in Nov, so i have to plan for worst case by that time. Thats y i ask this question. Because i can't keep my child starving here.

My friend, if you know an answer to a question, then give the answer to it rather than telling other things. Because neither you gave me visa nor you give me centrelink payments.

I'll not going to reply you, though what ever you post for my thing. Because its a waste of my time.
Not being funny but if you apply for jobs in the same way you write here then its not suprising you cannot find work. I am no writing expert myself, but you at least need to be able to string sentences together so they make sense.

There are plenty of jobs all over australia that anyone can do. If you are not finding work in your chosen area go get a part time job in Bunnings or somewhere else like that while you continue looking for work.
There is always work for people who are willing and since you sound quite desperate just pick up a job at Bunnings while you carry on applying for others.
I would suggest also taking a part time course in english and writing, which you can possibly get for free from Tafe. It will improve your prospects greatly if people can understand you.
Old Sep 12th 2010, 12:44 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave99
Not being funny but if you apply for jobs in the same way you write here then its not suprising you cannot find work. I am no writing expert myself, but you at least need to be able to string sentences together so they make sense.

There are plenty of jobs all over australia that anyone can do. If you are not finding work in your chosen area go get a part time job in Bunnings or somewhere else like that while you continue looking for work.
There is always work for people who are willing and since you sound quite desperate just pick up a job at Bunnings while you carry on applying for others.
I would suggest also taking a part time course in english and writing, which you can possibly get for free from Tafe. It will improve your prospects greatly if people can understand you.
Mate, to be fair english is his second language. If any of us can speak and write his language as good as he does ours, then maybe we can criticize.

geting a job in Aus during a recession aint easy, and less so if english is not your first language. You just need to keep trying and sometimes start from the bottom. Good luck to the OP and anyone else looking
Old Sep 12th 2010, 5:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

milly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Total nonsense.
Well they did up to three yrs ago, when i was last working in the goverment system in the uk, I also work in the same area of unemployment here in OZ, I do speak from experience.
Old Sep 12th 2010, 5:31 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by milly123
Well they did up to three yrs ago, when i was last working in the goverment system in the uk, I also work in the same area of unemployment here in OZ, I do speak from experience.
I do find it hard to believe that everyone who migrates to the uk lives on handouts - you only have to look at some experiences in the Moving Back to the UK forum to see how hard it is for some people to get any kind of support, even if they lived in the UK previously at one time and have paid into the NI/tax system in the past. Surely its the same as Australia, where some people do admittedly move with the intention of living on benefits, yet others intend - as does the OP here - to support themselves and may just need an initial helping hand, and benefits to which they are entitled. Is it not much the same as here where new arrivals are entitled to certain benefits, in order to ensure children are cared for and housed, for instance, whilst other benefits have various qualifying times etc?
Old Sep 12th 2010, 5:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

milly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I do find it hard to believe that everyone who migrates to the uk lives on handouts - you only have to look at some experiences in the Moving Back to the UK forum to see how hard it is for some people to get any kind of support, even if they lived in the UK previously at one time and have paid into the NI/tax system in the past. Surely its the same as Australia, where some people do admittedly move with the intention of living on benefits, yet others intend - as does the OP here - to support themselves and may just need an initial helping hand, and benefits to which they are entitled. Is it not much the same as here where new arrivals are entitled to certain benefits, in order to ensure children are cared for and housed, for instance, whilst other benefits have various qualifying times etc?
The problem in the uk is normaly linked to new residents from other countries, that are given large handouts, if a returing uk citizen or higly skilled migrant has proven recourses than no help will be given.
With reference to the Australian system, its your long time unemployed not your new migrant, the part timers that know they only have to work small amount of hours, or under take courses / education to gain more benifits.
The goverment here never shows its true unemployment rate due to part time workers, ie a mother with young children only have to work a minimum of 6hrs a week to meet requirements, this would then remove the individual of the unemployment stats, although they would still be claiming maximum benifits.
Another common stat is a person who is required to work full time but is presently working 15hrs a week, the job seeker would still be claiming benifits. The Employer would be offered upto $3300 for 13 weeks if they gave the person more hours to meet the requirments ( may be an extra 8hrs a week)the person will still be able to claim a small amount of benifit, the employer gets his monies and it removes the person from the unemployed- meeting requirments status.
If you are claiming benifits and you are streamed high, and live rural the goverment will pay for driving lessons, monies to basic transport etc, the list goes on.
Old Sep 12th 2010, 6:25 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by milly123
The problem in the uk is normaly linked to new residents from other countries, that are given large handouts, if a returing uk citizen or higly skilled migrant has proven recourses than no help will be given.
With reference to the Australian system, its your long time unemployed not your new migrant, the part timers that know they only have to work small amount of hours, or under take courses / education to gain more benifits.
The goverment here never shows its true unemployment rate due to part time workers, ie a mother with young children only have to work a minimum of 6hrs a week to meet requirements, this would then remove the individual of the unemployment stats, although they would still be claiming maximum benifits.
Another common stat is a person who is required to work full time but is presently working 15hrs a week, the job seeker would still be claiming benifits. The Employer would be offered upto $3300 for 13 weeks if they gave the person more hours to meet the requirments ( may be an extra 8hrs a week)the person will still be able to claim a small amount of benifit, the employer gets his monies and it removes the person from the unemployed- meeting requirments status.
If you are claiming benifits and you are streamed high, and live rural the goverment will pay for driving lessons, monies to basic transport etc, the list goes on.
Thanks for the extra details With reference to the UK, it does seem though that even if returnees have no resources on which to fall back they are often given no help at all - long waits to prove residence again, and one of the problems that is often seen in the UK forum is the issue of getting NHS care. Even as a former resident when returning to live in the UK many people are reporting problems when trying to re-register with GPs - I don't mean those just going back to get free treatment, I mean families returning home.
Old Sep 12th 2010, 6:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for the extra details With reference to the UK, it does seem though that even if returnees have no resources on which to fall back they are often given no help at all - long waits to prove residence again, and one of the problems that is often seen in the UK forum is the issue of getting NHS care. Even as a former resident when returning to live in the UK many people are reporting problems when trying to re-register with GPs - I don't mean those just going back to get free treatment, I mean families returning home.
This will be due to Recourses, as i said, family that can help out etc, with reference to medical and doctors not my area.
If the returnees did put up a strong proven case of having no assets, no family etc, as the new migrants do then the income support have to assist.
The British goverment would not allow a family with children to live on the street and starve .
The returning Brits will have divulged, some asset or family known or friend, This tiny bit of help is what would hinder them,
But as i have said i have been out of the uk for over 3.5 yrs, thing change hopefully they have tightened up the process.
Old Sep 12th 2010, 11:33 pm
ABCDiamond

Even as a former resident when returning to live in the UK many people are reporting problems when trying to re-register with GPs - I don't mean those just going back to get free treatment, I mean families returning home.
I will assume that this is a 'recent' change in the UK.

Back in 1996 when I returned to the UK, there was no trouble in resuming GP and NHS services.
Even further back I recall a £10 pom who came back for a holiday in 1984'ish, and was able to get free medical treatment at the time. I do recall that it did not seem right to me back then.

Old Sep 12th 2010, 11:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

camacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nice

[QUOTE=dave99;8842633]Not being funny but if you apply for jobs in the same way you write here then its not suprising you cannot find work. I am no writing expert myself, but you at least need to be able to string sentences together so they make sense.

I would suggest also taking a part time course in english and writing, which you can possibly get for free from Tafe. It will improve your prospects greatly if people can understand you.[/QUOT

it is not that easy getting any kind of job here! took me 6 months to get a job and not in what i normally do! couldnt even get a job delivering papers as 100's applied every week!!!
Old Sep 12th 2010, 11:58 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by camacazi
it is not that easy getting any kind of job here! took me 6 months to get a job and not in what i normally do! couldnt even get a job delivering papers as 100's applied every week!!!
We have just been though a very bad unemployment rate period, where it went up to nearly 6% overall. Although it did hit 6.15% in Aug 2009 for full time workers.

Do they still deliver newspapers these days ?

Old Sep 13th 2010, 12:09 am
BE Forum Addict

camacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nicecamacazi is just really nice

[QUOTE=ABCDiamond;8843594]We have just been though a very bad unemployment rate period, where it went up to nearly 6% overall. Although it did hit 6.15% in Aug 2009 for full time workers.

Do they still deliver newspapers these days ?[/QUOTE

sorry, meant the property magazines.......the ones that get thrown in your garden lol, and the junk mail!, couldnt even get a job doing that!!!

usually work in childcare, but couldnt get anything, eventually got a job working in Night Owl and i have now been made manager woo hoo!! getting somewhere at last ( 1 1/2 years later lol)
Old Sep 13th 2010, 12:16 am
ABCDiamond

sorry, meant the property magazines.......the ones that get thrown in your garden lol, and the junk mail!, couldnt even get a job doing that!!!

usually work in childcare, but couldnt get anything, eventually got a job working in Night Owl and i have now been made manager woo hoo!! getting somewhere at last ( 1 1/2 years later lol)
You wouldn't want a job like that. We have a friend who recently arrived, and she looked at that, but I worked out the income per time spent, as it is all self employed, and it came out to about $2 per hour. Great if you want to be paid for exercising, but not too good if you want to do it for an income.

She got a job cleaning instead, $25 ph.

Talking about Night Owl, our local one sells frozen chickens for $4 each, but the receipt states "BBQ Chicken Pet food". We were wondering last night what that 'really' means, as they don't say they are for pets

Old Sep 13th 2010, 12:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
You wouldn't want a job like that. We have a friend who recently arrived, and she looked at that, but I worked out the income per time spent, as it is all self employed, and it came out to about $2 per hour. Great if you want to be paid for exercising, but not too good if you want to do it for an income.

She got a job cleaning instead, $25 ph.

Talking about Night Owl, our local one sells frozen chickens for $4 each, but the receipt states "BBQ Chicken Pet food". We were wondering last night what that 'really' means, as they don't say they are for pets
i was getting desperate to do anything lol

OMG, surely they must be pet food??
Old Sep 13th 2010, 12:59 am
ABCDiamond

i was getting desperate to do anything lol

OMG, surely they must be pet food??
I am beginning to wonder, but they used to sell them for $8 each, cooked, and marked up as BBQ Chicken.

Now they no longer do them cooked, just frozen, from the normal food freezer, next to the frozen Pizza I think.

I am wondering if their remaining stock is past its use by date ? And they are covering themselves by stating pet food on the receipt. However, they don't always hand over the receipt.

By pure co-incidence, we actually get them for our dog, as she loves chicken.

I think I am taking this off topic

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.