Reload this Page >

Centrelink Claim if part year in Australia

Centrelink Claim if part year in Australia

Old Oct 3rd 2006, 2:39 am
Just Joined

Jokat will become famous soon enoughJokat will become famous soon enough
Default Centrelink Claim if part year in Australia

Hi all,

A couple of queries that you may be able to help with before I take myself down to the local Centrelink Office........

We arrived November 2005, part way through the 05/06 financial year. we want to put in an application to Centrelink for Family Tax Credit for 05/06, and for the current financial year.

I'm sure I've read that as part of the application we have to state our UK income for 05/06, and its added to the OZ income to make up the total for 05/06.

We were both self employed in the UK so what documentary evidence will we be required to show what our net profits were? We haven't yet received our self assessment statements from the UK Inland Revenue for 05/06, but we do have our profit and loss accounts showing net profit, subject to tax, due for payment Jan 2007.

Also because the UK financial year start and end dates are different to Oz, would it be ok to take our UK net profit less tax figure calculated for April to 30 Sept 2005, divide it by 6, then multiply it back by 4 to give a ball part figure for the first 4 months of the OZ financial year from June to Sept 05? (we dont want to overstate our income, and end up with a lesser award)

Finally, how honest do we have to be regards the UK income in 05/06- sounds awful I know to ask this, but we've earned diddly squat in comparison since we got here, and are finding ourselves financially stretched more than we ever were in the uk!!

Any advice would be much appreciated!
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 3:28 am
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Centrelink Claim if part year in Australia

Originally Posted by Jokat
Hi all,

A couple of queries that you may be able to help with before I take myself down to the local Centrelink Office........

We arrived November 2005, part way through the 05/06 financial year. we want to put in an application to Centrelink for Family Tax Credit for 05/06, and for the current financial year.

I'm sure I've read that as part of the application we have to state our UK income for 05/06, and its added to the OZ income to make up the total for 05/06.

We were both self employed in the UK so what documentary evidence will we be required to show what our net profits were? We haven't yet received our self assessment statements from the UK Inland Revenue for 05/06, but we do have our profit and loss accounts showing net profit, subject to tax, due for payment Jan 2007.

Also because the UK financial year start and end dates are different to Oz, would it be ok to take our UK net profit less tax figure calculated for April to 30 Sept 2005, divide it by 6, then multiply it back by 4 to give a ball part figure for the first 4 months of the OZ financial year from June to Sept 05? (we dont want to overstate our income, and end up with a lesser award)

Finally, how honest do we have to be regards the UK income in 05/06- sounds awful I know to ask this, but we've earned diddly squat in comparison since we got here, and are finding ourselves financially stretched more than we ever were in the uk!!

The only thing I would say to you is not to bother with Centrelink in Mandurah, they really don't want to know. I showed up with all documentation and the fully completed application forms and was told to ring the call centre first.

Instead I'm off to Rockingham where, hopefully, there's more than one person who can and wants to deal !
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 5:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jokat
Hi all,

I'd be honest, if your self employed somewhere along the line you will be asked for books/accountants figures to prove your income. Also you said in another post you made a large profit on a property in perth, if you only owned it 4 months thats taxable income too and is taken into account on your centerlink claim.
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 6:13 am
BE Forum Addict

donna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to behold

I had to tell them what mine and hubbies income ,before tax was for each month,they then have the figures for each month to calculate the differing exchange rate.Good Luckand dont worry it will be less complicated next year.
Donna
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 9:55 am
Just Joined

Jokat will become famous soon enoughJokat will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by jad n rich
...............Also you said in another post you made a large profit on a property in perth, if you only owned it 4 months thats taxable income too and is taken into account on your centerlink claim.
Hi - is this the case even though it was our main home, not owning any other property or land, and it wasn't originally bought with the intention of only being in it for 4 months?? I was told that we wouldn't be subject to capital gains tax, but no one we asked for advice mentioned it would be counted as taxable income - we might have hung on longer before moving if we'd known that. I'm starting to feel slightly faint................!
Old Oct 4th 2006, 12:00 am
BE Enthusiast

clougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond repute

When we got here I was honest about our UK wages and we didn't get much. A friend said that the lady at Centrelink hinted to her to put whatever she thought as they can't check anyway. I think she put about £20k and got a decent amount of FTB.

Jo
Old Oct 11th 2006, 6:53 pm
Forum Regular

shaakq is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by clougherty family
When we got here I was honest about our UK wages and we didn't get much. A friend said that the lady at Centrelink hinted to her to put whatever she thought as they can't check anyway. I think she put about £20k and got a decent amount of FTB.

Jo

i thought that u cannot get any benefits from centerlink until u have resided in OZ for 2yrs ??? is this not correct or am i confusing centerlink with something else ???
Old Oct 12th 2006, 7:54 am
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shaakq
i thought that u cannot get any benefits from centerlink until u have resided in OZ for 2yrs ??? is this not correct or am i confusing centerlink with something else ???
You can claim Family Tax Benefit from when you arrive.