Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Centrelink....Anyone in the know?

Centrelink....Anyone in the know?

Old Aug 10th 2005, 2:36 am
gsb
Cake or Death

gsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond repute
Default Centrelink....Anyone in the know?

This is a post to those in the know with regard to what can be claimed for.

As some of you may be aware, we have been here for three weeks and are loving it! We are now looking at ways to claw back some cash (if possible) I recognise that you have to support yourself for two years but was under the impression (or is that misaprehension), that we would be able to claim for "some things" even if they were minor. I called centrelink and they politely said that there was absolutely nothing I/we could claim for at all. And this would be the case for 104 weeks.

To be honest I was somewhat shocked, not that I disagree with the policy as I think it should be adopted in the UK. But I did think that we could claim something, albeit possibly a paltry amount. But anyting is better than nothing.

Anyhow, if any of you can offer help or advice on what can and cannot be claimed for. Or indeed simply verify that what Centrelink said is indeed the case, then I would be very grateful. Oh and just a thought, is there any way we could claim the tax back on some purchases, be they items for the house or utilities? Just thinking that this may be another way for minimising our outlay.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Cheers, G
Old Aug 10th 2005, 2:39 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Centrelink....Anyone in the know?

Originally Posted by gsb
I called centrelink and they politely said that there was absolutely nothing I/we could claim for at all. And this would be the case for 104 weeks.
Why not use the Centrelink website as a resource? Calling public enquiry lines is not generally the best way to get reliable information.

http://www.centrelink.gov.au

It will tell you whether the new residents 2 year waiting period applies to a particular benefit or not. It does apply to most benefits, but there are a few exceptions like Family Tax Benefit and Rent Assistance.

Jeremy
Old Aug 10th 2005, 2:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Billabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really nice

Are you renting a house at the moment, if so you can claim rent assistance.

Do you have kids, if so, you can claim some family assistance.

I would actually go into one of the offices and sit down with someone.
Old Aug 10th 2005, 2:53 am
BE Forum Addict

woodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Billabong
Are you renting a house at the moment, if so you can claim rent assistance.

Do you have kids, if so, you can claim some family assistance.

I would actually go into one of the offices and sit down with someone.
I found them very helpfully when we went there. We could claim for family assistance A and B but we never claimed for rent assistance. The only thing that you have to be careful for is that at the end of the tax year you may have to pay a section back as things are worked out on a yearly wage! Any income over $103,000 (approx) will stop all forms of benefit.

You are entitled to this regardless of how long you are here for, as long as you are permanent residence's - I think!!!
Old Aug 10th 2005, 2:58 am
gsb
Cake or Death

gsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers guys.

Thanks for the info.

I will have a look at the website and also go into the centrelink office to see what they have to say. There is one in Capalaba which is only 3k's from us.

G
Old Aug 10th 2005, 3:03 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gsb
Cheers guys.

Thanks for the info.

I will have a look at the website and also go into the centrelink office to see what they have to say. There is one in Capalaba which is only 3k's from us.

G

Gary,

I know this is not on topic, but did you have any luck with any of those jobs Janet emailed you???

Helen
Old Aug 10th 2005, 3:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Tass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by gsb

As some of you may be aware, we have been here for three weeks and are loving it! We are now looking at ways to claw back some cash (if possible) I recognise that you have to support yourself for two years but was under the impression (or is that misaprehension), that we would be able to claim for "some things" even if they were minor. I called centrelink and they politely said that there was absolutely nothing I/we could claim for at all. And this would be the case for 104 weeks.

To be honest I was somewhat shocked, not that I disagree with the policy as I think it should be adopted in the UK. But I did think that we could claim something, albeit possibly a paltry amount. But anyting is better than nothing.

Anyhow, if any of you can offer help or advice on what can and cannot be claimed for. Or indeed simply verify that what Centrelink said is indeed the case, then I would be very grateful. Oh and just a thought, is there any way we could claim the tax back on some purchases, be they items for the house or utilities? Just thinking that this may be another way for minimising our outlay.

Cheers, G
Hi ,
You cannot claim for anything like you have already said for 2 years BUT if you have children you are entitled to family benefit. It all depends on age of your kids and how much you earn.
You cannot claim any tax back on anything before the end of the tax year (I believe) and only then if its purchases you have bought related to work.
Sorry to hear that you've spent so much already ! We came out with a small amount of money but we got jobs within 2 weeks and have managed to do ok.We never expected to claim for anything as it was made very clear on all the immigration stuff and , well , it's just never been our way , to go looking for money from state handouts.
BUT ,it'll be a l-o-n-g time before we buy a house !
Hope you manage to get yourself out the rut.
All the best to you,
Tass.
Old Aug 10th 2005, 3:10 am
gsb
Cake or Death

Hi Hels

I reviewed the job specs and looked to match against my skills and experience. To be honest I did not see many links. But I did email Janet thanking her and also asking what her husband thought of the CV. She also gave me contact details for an agency, which I intend to follow up.

I may well give her a call as well.

Hope that all is well with you and thanks for forwarding my details to Janet, it was really appreciated.

I will be online on MSN when we get broadband sorted. We can chat more then.

Cheers, G

Originally Posted by Hels
Gary,

I know this is not on topic, but did you have any luck with any of those jobs Janet emailed you???

Helen
Old Aug 10th 2005, 3:17 am
gsb
Cake or Death

Originally Posted by Tass
Hi ,
You cannot claim for anything like you have already said for 2 years BUT if you have children you are entitled to family benefit. It all depends on age of your kids and how much you earn.
You cannot claim any tax back on anything before the end of the tax year (I believe) and only then if its purchases you have bought related to work.
Sorry to hear that you've spent so much already ! We came out with a small amount of money but we got jobs within 2 weeks and have managed to do ok.We never expected to claim for anything as it was made very clear on all the immigration stuff and , well , it's just never been our way , to go looking for money from state handouts.
BUT ,it'll be a l-o-n-g time before we buy a house !
Hope you manage to get yourself out the rut.
All the best to you,
Tass.
Hi Tass

Thanks for the reply. I respet your view and know others who feel the same way. My personal view is that if we are able to legally claim for things then I would like to do so. As mentioned, I agree with the Oz policy on migration support and only wish that the UK would follow suit. Ideally you should not be able to claim from that which you have not contrubuted to.

Oh and thanks for your concern, but not in a rut at all. Really enjoying things here; the scenery, the people and the general way of life. My initial post was meant to save me time trawling websites and hoping to benefit form the wealth of knowledge that exists in this forum.

Cheers and all the best, G
Old Aug 10th 2005, 3:19 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gsb
Hi Hels

I reviewed the job specs and looked to match against my skills and experience. To be honest I did not see many links. But I did email Janet thanking her and also asking what her husband thought of the CV. She also gave me contact details for an agency, which I intend to follow up.

I may well give her a call as well.

Hope that all is well with you and thanks for forwarding my details to Janet, it was really appreciated.

I will be online on MSN when we get broadband sorted. We can chat more then.

Cheers, G

Gary,

Thats great. I wasnt sure if it would be suitable for you, but you cant have enough contacts in a new place and I guessed that if the jobs werent right she might be able to direct you better than I can as I am not in Brissy anymore.

Let me know how you get on and we can definatly chat more when your broadband is connected

Hels
xxx
Old Aug 10th 2005, 3:20 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by gsb
Cheers guys.

Thanks for the info.

G
The majority of new Migrants to Australia will have to wait a period totalling 104 weeks of residence before becoming eligible for most Government Benefits. However, there are a few that are available without this qualifying waiting period, and these do relate to Families with Children.

The main benefits consist of:

* Family Tax Benefit Part A - for parents or carers to help with the cost of raising children. http://www.centrelink.gov.au/interne...ents/ftb_a.htm

* Family Tax Benefit Part B - for single income families or sole parents. http://www.centrelink.gov.au/interne...ents/ftb_b.htm

* Child Care Benefit - for families to help with the cost of child care.
http://www.centrelink.gov.au/interne...re_benefit.htm

* Rent Assistance may also be paid, if you get more than the base rate of Family Tax Benefit Part A and pay rent privately.
http://www.centrelink.gov.au/interne...assistance.htm

These benefits are Income tested. - http://www.centrelink.gov.au/interne...ts/pay_iat.htm

Details are available at the CENTRELINK website and offices. Call Centre telephone number is 13 1021 from in Australia only. - http://www.centrelink.gov.au/interne...g_payments.htm

Note: The following quote is from http://www.centrelink.gov.au/interne...ly_arrived.htm as at 11th November 2004.
For other benefits you will have to serve a waiting period if you have not been an Australian resident, and in Australia, for periods totalling 104 weeks. Periods spent in Australia as an Australian resident at any time in your life can be counted towards the waiting period.
Let me know if you need any other help on this aspect

Old Aug 10th 2005, 3:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Tass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to behold

My initial post was meant to save me time trawling websites and hoping to benefit form the wealth of knowledge that exists in this forum.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guess that won't be me then.
All the best,
Tass.
Old Aug 10th 2005, 5:25 am
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gsb

Cheers, G
if you are permanent residents , yes you can clain, but you are not then i dont think you can. It is means tested, so anything is better than nothing.
Old Aug 10th 2005, 5:38 am
BE Enthusiast

JJL family will become famous soon enoughJJL family will become famous soon enough

we've been here 8 weeks now, and we get $67 a fortnight........and that includes rent assistance. it's not much, but its there.......but we're more than happy.. has we did'nt think we could claim anything.

lesley