Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Central coast NSW?!?!

Central coast NSW?!?!

Old Oct 9th 2008, 6:40 am
Forum Regular

Brentacc is just really niceBrentacc is just really niceBrentacc is just really niceBrentacc is just really niceBrentacc is just really niceBrentacc is just really niceBrentacc is just really niceBrentacc is just really niceBrentacc is just really nice
Default Central coast NSW?!?!

Dear All,

Just a quick question. Why do I hear or read so little about the central coast region of NSW. I admit I have not personally been there but on paper it looks fabulous, lovely lakes and parks, great beaches, very affordable homes, nice quiet little towns and Sydney only an hour away for a fi of big city life.

So, am I missing something here or does anyone have insider knowledge that wouls put me off?

As always, any and all opinions gratefully received.

Best regards,

Russell.
Old Oct 9th 2008, 6:45 am
Forum Regular

TrentEnd will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Central coast NSW?!?!

The Central Coast is great in my opinion - I've been up there loads of times from Sydney. There are some nice coastal towns eg: Terrigal, and some ok regional town centres like Gosford as well. I suppose one of the main advantages is the proximity to Sydney. Can't speak for getting work there though - it depends on what you do.
Old Oct 9th 2008, 6:48 am
Simply happy in Sydney!

LittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of lightLittleKittyCat is a glorious beacon of light

Hi. We went to Central Coast on our reccie at the beginning of September. It is lovely. We stayed in a place called Forresters Beach and all of us had a great time, so much so, that we are moving to Sydney in December (hopefully). It has beautiful beaches, is great for kids, nice little towns etc.

We are moving to the south of Sydney when we go back. The only thing I would say about Central Coast is that it is commutable to Sydney, but I couldn't imagine doing it every day if I lived there but worked in Sydney. It took about 1 1/2-2hours to get there in the traffic. One day my oh had a meeting in Sydney and left there at 4pm but didn't get back to Forresters Beach until nearly 7pm, although it was a Friday.
Old Oct 9th 2008, 7:18 am
Harrip

harrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Brentacc
Dear All,

Just a quick question. Why do I hear or read so little about the central coast region of NSW. I admit I have not personally been there but on paper it looks fabulous, lovely lakes and parks, great beaches, very affordable homes, nice quiet little towns and Sydney only an hour away for a fi of big city life.

So, am I missing something here or does anyone have insider knowledge that wouls put me off?

As always, any and all opinions gratefully received.

Best regards,

Russell.
It's one of the best places in Australia and the locals know this so they don't advertise the fact too much

I moved up here just over a year ago from Sydney and no regrets. Whilst in theory it is commutable to Sydney, an hour and a half each way at least is not, in my opinion, practical and probably the reason a lot of folk don't move here. Its also the same distance roughly to Newcastle - hence 'Central' Coast.

Personally I find Gosford a bit run down although there are efforts underway to tackle this.
Old Oct 9th 2008, 8:16 am
Just Joined

TimeForAChange is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been to Terrigal and Avoca but aint house prices astronomical up there unless yopu live in Gosford in land a bit.
Old Oct 12th 2008, 1:07 am
Harrip

harrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by TimeForAChange
I've been to Terrigal and Avoca but aint house prices astronomical up there unless yopu live in Gosford in land a bit.
There are AUD$2.1M beach front houses if you want them, but also lots of cheaper places. Damn site cheaper than Sydney - with a better lifestyle.
Old Oct 12th 2008, 2:46 am
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TimeForAChange
I have lived here since moving over in May 05 and love it. House prices are much more affordable up here and for around 500K you can get a 4 bed with pool. Terrigal and Avoca are more expensive as are some of the hidden villages. But we like Umina, bit run down in some places. Close to Train if you need to commute fast one to Sydney takes approx 1 hours 10 min from Woy Woy. As the previous poster says, we keep quiet. Lots of people dont like it up here though. I used to commute to Sydney till I found local job and hubby drives to North Ryde for his. Friday's coming home are bad as Sydney siders flock up here for weekends. Same as Sunday's down.

Jo
Old Oct 12th 2008, 4:28 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by harrip
There are AUD$2.1M beach front houses if you want them, but also lots of cheaper places. Damn site cheaper than Sydney - with a better lifestyle.
Yup, We'd love to live up there but are stuck down here for a while yet...
Old Oct 12th 2008, 9:38 pm
An Australian Citizen !!

Jimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by joho
I have lived here since moving over in May 05 and love it. House prices are much more affordable up here and for around 500K you can get a 4 bed with pool. Terrigal and Avoca are more expensive as are some of the hidden villages. But we like Umina, bit run down in some places. Close to Train if you need to commute fast one to Sydney takes approx 1 hours 10 min from Woy Woy. As the previous poster says, we keep quiet. Lots of people dont like it up here though. I used to commute to Sydney till I found local job and hubby drives to North Ryde for his. Friday's coming home are bad as Sydney siders flock up here for weekends. Same as Sunday's down.

Jo
If there are any Sydneysiders listening - its RUBBISH up here - you're better off going down to the beaches in the "Shire" instead - especially over the summer school hols

The train times cannot get any faster until a new, straight line is built but as the NSW government appears to be broke, that's not going to happen any time soon.

Jim

ps hello Jo - how are you going?
Old Oct 13th 2008, 9:11 am
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jimclevs
If there are any Sydneysiders listening - its RUBBISH up here - you're better off going down to the beaches in the "Shire" instead - especially over the summer school hols

The train times cannot get any faster until a new, straight line is built but as the NSW government appears to be broke, that's not going to happen any time soon.

Jim

ps hello Jo - how are you going?
Mr Jimminy Cricket I see you are back from the old country. Way to go on the put them off stakes Must get together soon so we can discuss the pains of living in such a shoddy place.

Jo