Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Central Coast - Areas to live

Central Coast - Areas to live

Old Dec 12th 2019, 9:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Central Coast - Areas to live

Originally Posted by rabble_rouser
I'd even take Brisbane over the Central Coast.
Ho ho ho. Tell me one good thing about Brisbane? Not a chance.

Each to their own I guess.
Old Dec 12th 2019, 9:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elbow271
Food for thought, altho i assumed 'clammy' came with the sunny weather in these parts. Its pretty clammy here just above Brisbane so im assuming its the norm for the east coast. Yeah the beach conundrum is just that. Im hoping that after working somewhere built up all week, it will be a nice place to escape, clear the lungs a little (altho probably impossible atm re the fires). We're pretty happy to get out and about too, so wouldn't spend all our time there. right now, i cant think of any other options that are not on by the sea. Bundeena looks ok but a bit pricey and could present travel-time issues as i suspect most of my work will be north of central. We really want to live by the sea, and fairly close to central - thats the requirement.
Not sure about this "clammy" thing. Is it humidity? If you live near Brisbane then the humidy down south is not nearly as bad.

Port Stephens is lovely but as was mentioned it might not appeal to live permantly. Holidaying there is awesome. If you are struggling for work in Brisbane then it's unlikely Newcastle can offer better.

You say you could put up with a commute then lock yourself down near a beach on weekends. This describes the Northern Beaches to a tea. But we warned, to get to the city from there is a long commute, to get to Parramatta is insane. Macquarie Park would need a drive and a parking spot.

Bundeena is nice but it's tucked in the national park on the other side of river which means a long drive around to get anywhere. Cronulla or nearby would be a more sensible option.

Old Dec 15th 2019, 4:39 am
Forum Regular

PittwaterPrincess is an unknown quantity at this point

I think the Northern beaches area now is quite expensive. The garden is for the 3 cats - Love them but theyre certainly a responsibility! We are currently in QLD and have a front/back garden and yes, the mowing is a challenge but its so dry here, it hardly grows.
Yes. The Northern Beaches is ridiculously expensive for buying and I could never afford to buy here. I am renting in Avalon for $500 a week. Have a massive front and back garden for my two cats. The landlord pays for a gardener to come round weekly, so I don't have to worry about that. It is a bit of a commute to be sure, but that is the sacrifice that I am prepared to make, for living in such a lovely beachy location. If I didn't live here, I would chose the Central Coast instead.
Old Dec 15th 2019, 10:53 pm
Forum Regular

rabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond repute

Beach on a budget in australia has huge negative implications that outweigh any benefit the beachfront brings. Imo if you arent loaded dont bother trying to be walking distance to a beach.
Old Dec 15th 2019, 10:56 pm
Forum Regular

rabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Ho ho ho. Tell me one good thing about Brisbane? Not a chance.

Each to their own I guess.
It has an international airport, with only medium length queues.
Old Dec 15th 2019, 11:41 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

well i guess thats ur opinion, we all have them
Agree. As the saying goes, they really are like assholes
Old Dec 15th 2019, 11:45 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

BNE is indeed a decent airport as Australian airports go - unlike SYD, MEL and PER - although the latter is getting better all the time
Old Dec 16th 2019, 10:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Which queue are you talking about? The holding patterns are not great. I suppose they are trying to build another runway to sort that out.
Old Dec 29th 2019, 11:56 pm
Just Joined

Star2020 is an unknown quantity at this point

I've lived on the Central Coast for 4 years, lived at Terrigal and Copa, worked near Gosford. Never had any issues here and really preferred it to where we lived before ( Melbourne) I have friends at Umina Beach and they are really happy there
Old Dec 29th 2019, 11:59 pm
Just Joined

Should of added, I also did the commute to Sydney - Gosford on a regular basis and never had an issue. Lots of families are moving up from sydney to that is pushing the house prices up but still a lot of options
Old Dec 30th 2019, 4:09 am
Just Joined

elbow271 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Star2020
I've lived on the Central Coast for 4 years, lived at Terrigal and Copa, worked near Gosford. Never had any issues here and really preferred it to where we lived before ( Melbourne) I have friends at Umina Beach and they are really happy there
Hey thanks for your input - Are there any parts of umina to avoid?
Can you swim in the sea there without fear of shark attacks etc?
Looking at Terrigal, the trek into Sydney central looks a bit long, maybe 2.20hrs by car then train. Not sure what the drive would be like? On a normal commute for work etc
Also what/where is Copa?

Massive thanks for your help
Old Dec 30th 2019, 4:35 am
Just Joined

Should of added, I also did the commute to Sydney - Gosford on a regular basis and never had an issue. Lots of families are moving up from sydney to that is pushing the house prices up but still a lot of options
So what is Gosford like? Busy, noisy or a mixed bag depending where you settle? Perhaps east is nicer that west etc?
Old Dec 30th 2019, 4:55 am
Just Joined

Hey thanks for your input - Are there any parts of umina to avoid?
Can you swim in the sea there without fear of shark attacks etc?
Looking at Terrigal, the trek into Sydney central looks a bit long, maybe 2.20hrs by car then train. Not sure what the drive would be like? On a normal commute for work etc
Also what/where is Copa?

Massive thanks for your help

So Copa = Copacabana a suburb next to Avoca Beach. Probably a bit far out but an amazing suburb.

I always went by train, 25min drive to Gosford Stan, 1 hour 20’mins to Central Stn. LOTS of people do it.

no issues with Sharks etc. a few sightings every now and then but nothing to stress about.
Old Dec 30th 2019, 4:56 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Beoz
Not sure about this "clammy" thing. Is it humidity? If you live near Brisbane then the humidy down south is not nearly as bad.

Port Stephens is lovely but as was mentioned it might not appeal to live permantly. Holidaying there is awesome. If you are struggling for work in Brisbane then it's unlikely Newcastle can offer better.

You say you could put up with a commute then lock yourself down near a beach on weekends. This describes the Northern Beaches to a tea. But we warned, to get to the city from there is a long commute, to get to Parramatta is insane. Macquarie Park would need a drive and a parking spot.

Bundeena is nice but it's tucked in the national park on the other side of river which means a long drive around to get anywhere. Cronulla or nearby would be a more sensible option.
So far its still looking like Central coast - Don't mind a commute, but certainly not a mission as per the norther beaches etc - Thanks again for your tips
Old Dec 30th 2019, 5:03 am
Just Joined

So Copa = Copacabana a suburb next to Avoca Beach. Probably a bit far out but an amazing suburb.

I always went by train, 25min drive to Gosford Stan, 1 hour 20’mins to Central Stn. LOTS of people do it.

no issues with Sharks etc. a few sightings every now and then but nothing to stress about.
Ah yes Copacabana! Not the showgirl then - Im now thinking perhaps Gosford could do and looking at the map, Terrigal or close by for some beach is pretty close by - thanks for the help

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.