Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Celtic supporters clubs

Wikiposts

Celtic supporters clubs

Old Sep 22nd 2006, 12:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Stephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Celtic supporters clubs

[QUOTE=sassenach]
Originally Posted by framac
HaHa. Its happened already. I booked a holiday and the girl taking the booking called me a fellow POM. I'll need to be putting her right on that one. It also happened while working in Holland. The prob was that its the English language even though no English can understand me. I used to say to the Dutch "So you are Belgian" They didn't like that one bit and surprisingly learned quickly that the 2 countries were seperate [/QUOTEb
i have this debate witha scottish mate of mine ,he reckons only the english are poms ,i reckon all those from the british isles are poms .My reasoning is ,if the word pom is a shortened version of pohm then i would bet my house on it that there was at least one scotsman sent on the prison boats ,thus making them poms

The Poms are 'English'...not Scots or Irish. And that is from Aussies I have spoke with.

Hail Hail....7 points clear
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 12:07 am
Banned

sassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by kiltedjedi
yeah but just call them southern shandy drinking poofters and it's all banter.

taking offence at that, wait till you're called english down under
Im english ,and i got to agree with u on that ,my scottish mate does his effin nut ,of course i find it laughable .
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 12:08 am
Banned

sassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=Stephen]
Originally Posted by sassenach

The Poms are 'English'...not Scots or Irish. And that is from Aussies I have spoke with.

Hail Hail....7 points clear
must be a different bunch of aussies to the ones i know then .
The unions here in WA are run by scottish and some irish ,guess what the aussies say ''why is it always the effin poms causing all this union shite ''
i dont know about hail hail i reckon itll be bail bail

Last edited by sassenach; Sep 22nd 2006 at 12:12 am.
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 12:47 am
Wanderer

Location: Australia, Scotland, NZ, China, Spain, Scotland again wha hae!
saoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to behold

I'd say most Aussies think that only English are poms cos they think you're ALL English...to be historically accurate the original POHMs were quite possibly MOSTLY Irish and Scots,given that it was the English doing the locking up and transporting...

But, as we Aussies can be a bit thick when it comes to differentiating between the peoples in the 'united kingdom' I'd have to agree that most Australians would think they were referring to English when they used the word Pom and would hastily apologise if you revealed yourself to be Scottish, Irish or Welsh.

I am curious as to why Aussies seem to dislike the English as much as the rest of you do...surely we're as much English as Scots, Irish and Welsh?

Oh well...I'm an Invershnecky fan so will be able to straddle the fence tomorrow (ha! is that even possible???)

all the banter in here has made me really miss sitting in on the old boys sessions in the pubs on Skye...when Lenny would start shouting and threatening to tek off Hamish's head and then Hamish's missus (in full Rangers strip glory) would waltz into the fray...and the manager would have to put 2 tellies on in the bar - one for the Celtic fans and one for Rangers...so they'd have their backs to each other and hopefully ease a bit of the tension...

But then they all ended up in a brawl anyhoo cos the Celts were offended that they'd been offered the smaller telly!

love it. can't wait to go back!
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 12:58 am
Banned

Originally Posted by matildaskye
I'd say most Aussies think that only English are poms cos they think you're ALL English...to be historically accurate the original POHMs were quite possibly MOSTLY Irish and Scots,given that it was the English doing the locking up and transporting...

But, as we Aussies can be a bit thick when it comes to differentiating between the peoples in the 'united kingdom' I'd have to agree that most Australians would think they were referring to English when they used the word Pom and would hastily apologise if you revealed yourself to be Scottish, Irish or Welsh.

I am curious as to why Aussies seem to dislike the English as much as the rest of you do...surely we're as much English as Scots, Irish and Welsh?

Oh well...I'm an Invershnecky fan so will be able to straddle the fence tomorrow (ha! is that even possible???)

all the banter in here has made me really miss sitting in on the old boys sessions in the pubs on Skye...when Lenny would start shouting and threatening to tek off Hamish's head and then Hamish's missus (in full Rangers strip glory) would waltz into the fray...and the manager would have to put 2 tellies on in the bar - one for the Celtic fans and one for Rangers...so they'd have their backs to each other and hopefully ease a bit of the tension...

But then they all ended up in a brawl anyhoo cos the Celts were offended that they'd been offered the smaller telly!

got to agree with most of that ,i think with the english its all the about the historical klonking on the head business ,when a lot of the time every body was klonking each other .Its just i suppose we where a devious bunch of bastards and stirred the pot up where ever we went and anyway westminster is run by scots know isnt it ,so really we arnt robbing the scots oil anymore .Ah celtic v rangers is quite pathetic at times but great fun too if not taken too seriously .
I think with the aussies like to side with little man ,and although the scots ,irish,welsh are small nation wise in comparison to the english
they have always carried more than thir fair share and are well respected fighters and the aussies love that i think
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 1:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Stephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond reputeStephen has a reputation beyond repute

.to be historically accurate the original POHMs were quite possibly MOSTLY Irish and Scots,given that it was the English doing the locking up and transporting...

I am currently reading this book on the history of Australia

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Concise-Hist...e=UTF8&s=books

and by and large the vast majority of the convicts were English, then a small amount of Irish and then Scots!
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 1:06 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Stephen

and by and large the vast majority of the convicts were English, then a small amount of Irish and then Scots!
Well that sort of confuses things for the irish and scots i think ,us english have always know we are poms ,now the irish and scots may have to come to terms with dreded word.
Mind u i would advocate that the aussies are the poms as the early ones where most definetly poms , and us free migrant are scottish,irish,welsh or english men/women .
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 1:13 am
Home.

mackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond repute

Hello there,

Just wondering where you lived on Skye? My family are from Broadford & Elgol.

With regards to Aussies not knowing anything about the United Kingdom, most BRITS couldn't properly tell you about the United Kingdom!
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 1:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mackinnon
Hello there,

With regards to Aussies not knowing anything about the United Kingdom, most BRITS couldn't properly tell you about the United Kingdom!
lol mackinnon

One things for sure...Its NOT a United kingdom.
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 1:28 am
Home.

mackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond repute

lol mackinnon

One things for sure...Its NOT a United kingdom.
Ah'll be staying oot of any political discussions!
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 1:32 am
Wanderer

saoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to beholdsaoghalbeag is a splendid one to behold

Broadford? Yay! Yay for Sutherlands Garage...an ingenious piece of aesthetic development! My future house is in Broadford...but don't tell anyone or they'll steal it out from under me...I've got a friend who lives there keeping an eye on it for me...if it comes up for sale I'm going to sell my soul and go buy it...

Love Elgol...just trying to think of who I know that comes from there??? The primary school is fantastic. Did you grow up on Skye or do you just have family there? I know a few ppl from Breakish/Waterloo...I lived in Kyleakin for about a year (doing the typical Aussie backpacker thing) before I got a life and moved to Portree (ha!) but I've always had a soft spot for Broadford, despite the garage. And the shop that's a bakery on the one side and a butcher on the other...and the mad guy in the video store...

Regarding the Poms, sorry was exaggerating about them being mostly Irish and Scottish - I'd have to agree they were mostly English. Was alluding to the fact that being an English crown (technically) and government that the easiest way for them to rid themselves of any ursurpers was to send them a million miles away to a land of dust and flies...so YES it's actually the Australians who are POHMs, not the Brits but I guess that's just popular culture for you, we'll never win that debate! Are they mostly English by percentage or actual numbers?

Have you read A Short History of Australia by Manning Clark? He's some sort of authority on Aust history (or so I'm told) Was forced to read it by his protege whilst at uni...was young and foolish then so didn't pay much attention but now I realise it was quite good. He has (had, i think he died) some interesting perspectives on the original purpose and design of the Australian colony (if you're into that sort of thing!). Far off in Sunlit Places is another good one - tells the history of the Scottish migrants in Australia and New Zealand.

I think I may have bought that last book in Broadford Garage...
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 1:50 am
Home.

Broadford?
Have you read A Short History of Australia by Manning Clark? He's some sort of authority on Aust history (or so I'm told) Was forced to read it by his protege whilst at uni...was young and foolish then so didn't pay much attention but now I realise it was quite good. He has (had, i think he died) some interesting perspectives on the original purpose and design of the Australian colony (if you're into that sort of thing!). Far off in Sunlit Places is another good one - tells the history of the Scottish migrants in Australia and New Zealand.

I think I may have bought that last book in Broadford Garage...
I'm reading "Australia: A Biography of a Nation" by Phillip Knightley just now.

I'll have a look out at the library for that one you mentioned, it's quoted from quite frequently in the book I'm reading just now.
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 2:01 am
Wanderer

I'm reading "Australia: A Biography of a Nation" by Phillip Knightley just now.

I'll have a look out at the library for that one you mentioned, it's quoted from quite frequently in the book I'm reading just now.
I knew it! I knew the old guy they dragged in to lecture us on Australian history was onto something (if it's Manning Clark you're referring to). The most bizarre thing was this lecturer looked about 200 years old and was the SPITTING IMAGE of the photograph of Manning Clark on the front cover. God it was trippy...will never forget the book tho!
Old Sep 22nd 2006, 2:37 am
UK is Home

Sunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond repute

Not a bad statement for a cellic fan, you are to be comended mate

Will you take my HAND and shake it?

Oh! i hope that Avatar aint a photo of you cause that is one ugly guy

Old Sep 22nd 2006, 2:42 am
UK is Home

Sunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond repute

United Kingdom? Is that in England? So far i only dream of being an Ozzie

Hello there,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.