Reload this Page >

Celebrate St Georges Day 23 April

Celebrate St Georges Day 23 April

Old Apr 15th 2003, 1:25 pm
Just Joined

Kendoddsdadsdog is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Celebrate St Georges Day 23 April

St George's Day

To be born English is to have won first prize in the lottery of life.

To be English is to be part of the world's richest culture. From this sceptred isle sprang talents as diverse as Orwell and Chaplin, Kipling and Shakespeare, Nelson and Joe Strummer.

In every field, in every era, the evidence of English greatness is there for all to see, from the enduring genius of Elgar to the magic of Michael Owen's goal against the Argies. As Ian Dury once sang: "There are jewels in the crown of England's glory, too numerous to mention, but a few."

OK, not many of us know more than the first two lines of There'll Always Be An England, but we do know that our country gave the world football, cricket, rugby, tennis, the Beatles and Dickens.

As a people we are not given to chest beating. Reserve and restraint are as much English qualities as inventiveness and enterprise. But we do resent the way Englishness is sneered at by the chattering classes. For them, the cross of St George is tainted by memories of empire (even though the Royal Navy smashed the slave trade). It has been like this for decades. More than 50 years ago, George Orwell wrote that "England is perhaps the only great country whose intellectuals are ashamed of their nationality."

These sniggering fools don't even know the roots of their own radicalism. For every Francis Drake in English history there was a Wat Tyler. For every Wellington there was a Captain Swing. Military achievement understandably shaped our self image. The stout Yeomen of England have been beating off invaders for centuries. We saw off Bonaparte and smashed the Spanish Armada. But England gave the world parliamentary democracy and the trade unions too.

We are strong-willed people, rightly proud of our traditions of free speech and tolerance. Our defining national characteristic is "constructive bloodymindedness" according to Keith Waterhouse, one of the greatest living Englishmen. Illustrated by the phrase "thus far and no further", it is why most of us refuse to take Europe seriously. European? Never. I was born English and I will die English, (unless Newcastle achieves independence).

A soggy croissant will never replace egg, bacon and buttered toast. Whether your England is summed up by a bowler hat or a pit helmet, punk rock or Morris dancers, there are few national tapestries as rich as our beloved Albion's.

My England is bubble and squeak and foaming pints of Boddingtons. It is Les Dawson and Barbara Windsor, Max Miller and Page Three. My England is pie and mash and Aston Martins, Derby day and Arfur Daley, Mods and Suedeheads, Lennie McLean and Carry On films. My England stretches from Dennis Skinner to Roger Scruton, from Peggy Mount to Beki Bondage. It's Blackpool beach, Charlie Drake, Middlesbrough FC, roast beef, imperial measurements and vindaloo. It's defiance. Whether it be King Alfred standing up to the Vikings, Colonel H at Goose Green, or the Metric Martyrs giving the finger to Brussels. No-one likes us! We don't care!

And of course it is a national disgrace that TV gives St George a blank.

But what do they know? How often do they get anything right?

If you are English turn off the TV on April 23rd and get down the pub, preferrably in a fine Longshanks shirt. As Chesterton wrote: "St George he was for England and before he slew the dragon, he drank a pint of English ale out of an English flagon."

Enjoy yourself this St. George's Day. And remember, there will always be an England.
Old Apr 16th 2003, 11:32 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Celebrate St Georges Day 23 April

Originally posted by Kendoddsdadsdog
St George's Day

To be English is to be part of the world's richest culture. From this sceptred isle sprang talents as diverse as Orwell and Chaplin, Kipling and Shakespeare, Nelson and Joe Strummer.

In every field, in every era, the evidence of English greatness is there for all to see, from the enduring genius of Elgar to the magic of Michael Owen's goal against the Argies. As Ian Dury once sang: "There are jewels in the crown of England's glory, too numerous to mention, but a few."

OK, not many of us know more than the first two lines of There'll Always Be An England, but we do know that our country gave the world football, cricket, rugby, tennis, the Beatles and Dickens.

As a people we are not given to chest beating. Reserve and restraint are as much English qualities as inventiveness and enterprise. But we do resent the way Englishness is sneered at by the chattering classes. For them, the cross of St George is tainted by memories of empire (even though the Royal Navy smashed the slave trade). It has been like this for decades. More than 50 years ago, George Orwell wrote that "England is perhaps the only great country whose intellectuals are ashamed of their nationality."

These sniggering fools don't even know the roots of their own radicalism. For every Francis Drake in English history there was a Wat Tyler. For every Wellington there was a Captain Swing. Military achievement understandably shaped our self image. The stout Yeomen of England have been beating off invaders for centuries. We saw off Bonaparte and smashed the Spanish Armada. But England gave the world parliamentary democracy and the trade unions too.

We are strong-willed people, rightly proud of our traditions of free speech and tolerance. Our defining national characteristic is "constructive bloodymindedness" according to Keith Waterhouse, one of the greatest living Englishmen. Illustrated by the phrase "thus far and no further", it is why most of us refuse to take Europe seriously. European? Never. I was born English and I will die English, (unless Newcastle achieves independence).

A soggy croissant will never replace egg, bacon and buttered toast. Whether your England is summed up by a bowler hat or a pit helmet, punk rock or Morris dancers, there are few national tapestries as rich as our beloved Albion's.

My England is bubble and squeak and foaming pints of Boddingtons. It is Les Dawson and Barbara Windsor, Max Miller and Page Three. My England is pie and mash and Aston Martins, Derby day and Arfur Daley, Mods and Suedeheads, Lennie McLean and Carry On films. My England stretches from Dennis Skinner to Roger Scruton, from Peggy Mount to Beki Bondage. It's Blackpool beach, Charlie Drake, Middlesbrough FC, roast beef, imperial measurements and vindaloo. It's defiance. Whether it be King Alfred standing up to the Vikings, Colonel H at Goose Green, or the Metric Martyrs giving the finger to Brussels. No-one likes us! We don't care!

If you are English turn off the TV on April 23rd and get down the pub, preferrably in a fine Longshanks shirt. As Chesterton wrote: "St George he was for England and before he slew the dragon, he drank a pint of English ale out of an English flagon."

Enjoy yourself this St. George's Day. And remember, there will always be an England.

Will do old boy there are some Pubs who are putting on a do for this day in Perth only a few though , never understood why St Pats day is a bigger event I mean what have the spud pickers ever done?

Old Apr 17th 2003, 12:24 am
BE Enthusiast

muppetking is on a distinguished road

I've always found it ironic that St George's day is either overlooked or mumbled about. St Patrick's day is widely celebrated and he was a Romano-British aristocrat! Every other country talks with pride about their heritage but we have to tread lightly. Shame really.
Old Apr 17th 2003, 12:29 am
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough

St George's Day

A good ploughmans lunch and an ice cold beer at an old country pub, that's my England. And the British sense of humour. They'll never stop an Englishman laughing. Mind you, they did come bloody close with the 'Poll Tax' !
Old Apr 17th 2003, 2:28 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

St George's Day

"England gave the world parliamentary democracy" - that's a new one to me - and here's me thinking it was Greece was the first governmental democracy in the world - the word actually means something like people power, or rule by the people (democracy)
Trade unions - very debatable, but I know some of the very first union leaders in the UK were Scottish and Welsh people besides English.

Why should they celebrate St Georges day? they don't have celebrations for St David's day, or St Andrew either - St David's day passed here in Aus last month (1st march) . Never mind I always raise my glass to St Paddy - a fine Welsh man (he wasn't Irish - thought to be born in Wales or even Cornwall area) The only saint in Britain who was actually born in the country he represents was St David. It's all load of b*llocks anyway - outdated rubbish . St this and that.

cheers
Old Apr 17th 2003, 2:37 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by pommie bastard
I mean what have the spud pickers ever done?

annoyed you by the look of it

cheers
Old Apr 17th 2003, 2:39 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Ceri
"England gave the world parliamentary democracy" - that's a new one to me - and here's me thinking it was Greece was the first governmental democracy in the world - the word actually means something like people power, or rule by the people (democracy)
Trade unions - very debatable, but I know some of the very first union leaders in the UK were Scottish and Welsh people besides English.

Why should they celebrate St Georges day? they don't have celebrations for St David's day, or St Andrew either - St David's day passed here in Aus last month (1st march) . Never mind I always raise my glass to St Paddy - a fine Welsh man (he wasn't Irish - thought to be born in Wales or even Cornwall area) The only saint in Britain who was actually born in the country he represents was St David. It's all load of b*llocks anyway - outdated rubbish . St this and that.

cheers
Slow down my Welsh lovely do not your people wave the odd leak around on St Davids day?
Being a natural drunk I need no special day to get tanked up , but I think we English have given the World more than any other nation so why not drink to a Saint as do the Irish at lest ours fought Dragons.

Old Apr 17th 2003, 2:46 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Slow down my Welsh lovely do not your people wave the odd leak around on St Davids day?
Being a natural drunk I need no special day to get tanked up , but I think we English have given the World more than any other nation so why not drink to a Saint as do the Irish at lest ours fought Dragons.

nope - it's a load of b*llocks. Debatable , I would say Greece has given the world the most (must go play with my wheel). Even the Egyptians too, or even the Chinese.

I'm not religious - so I do not celebrate any Saint, I'd rather celebrate Glyndwr

cheers

Last edited by Ceri; Apr 17th 2003 at 2:49 am.
Old Apr 17th 2003, 2:48 am
Banned

annoyed you by the look of it

cheers
No the spud pickers are great fun spent many a weekend in Dublin around Temple Bar area , headly days a people who know what crack is.

Old Apr 17th 2003, 2:52 am
Banned

nope - it's a load of b*llocks. Debatable , I would say Greece has given the world the most. Even the Egyptians too, or even the Chinese.

I'm not religious - so I do not celebrate any Saint, I'd rather celebrate Glyndwr

cheers
Your points as ever have truth , but the modern world has its roots in Great Britain the industrial revolution started there plus we started what is now called free trade also a place called America that now rules us all.

Old Apr 17th 2003, 3:17 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Your points as ever have truth , but the modern world has its roots in Great Britain the industrial revolution started there plus we started what is now called free trade also a place called America that now rules us all.

Ever heard of "David Thomas: Iron Man from Wales" ? (from Neath originally)He was a Welshman who was responsible for the US industrial might during the 19th century.

If Nye Bevan was here today - he would have "Sh*t his pants" - lol (responsible for the NHS -don't shoot me please!)

Just making a point when you said England has given more to the world than any other nation. No one sole nation in the world can claim this

As for America - the trick is to let them think they rule

Got to go now - my head is hurting !

cheers
Old Apr 17th 2003, 6:59 am
Banned

Ever heard of "David Thomas: Iron Man from Wales" ? (from Neath originally)He was a Welshman who was responsible for the US industrial might during the 19th century.

If Nye Bevan was here today - he would have "Sh*t his pants" - lol (responsible for the NHS -don't shoot me please!)

Just making a point when you said England has given more to the world than any other nation. No one sole nation in the world can claim this

As for America - the trick is to let them think they rule

Got to go now - my head is hurting !

cheers

No but being Welsh I am afraid that makes the guy British , try Thomas Telford he did his bit too .
Before him Thomas Newcomen , Richard Arkwright ,Charles Parsons, Michael Faraday , the list is endless.
Quite a lot of the things that changed the way we live came from the UK , not forgeting the Empire that changed the worlds map , we are at fault for creating Iraq as it is today.

http://britannia.com/panorama/ideas.html

THE BRITISH are commonly acknowledged to be among the best in the world when it comes to inventions. Over the past 50 years, according to Japanese research, more than 40 per cent of discoveries taken up on a worldwide basis originated in the United Kingdom. And at an important exposition of inventions in the United States recently, the UK won four of the top prizes.

PS We gave the world its first engineering standards that did change the world .

Last edited by pommie bastard; Apr 17th 2003 at 7:05 am.
Old Apr 17th 2003, 7:11 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Are you saying that you are proud that Britain was the Mother of all roots.
Old Apr 17th 2003, 7:15 am
Banned

Originally posted by Megalania
Are you saying that you are proud that Britain was the Mother of all roots.
Tooks time to let that sink in son , we are not talking about the same root but I would say Australia is rooted.

Old Apr 17th 2003, 7:21 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Tooks time to let that sink in son , we are not talking about the same root but I would say Australia is rooted.

And still the Future Eaters come to tourture themselves, each other and this Once Was Wonderland. Golums the lot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.