British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   CDR Help (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/cdr-help-111035/)

struc_engr Sep 5th 2002 4:22 pm

CDR Help

Good Day!

I am from the Philippines and I am about to prepare my CDR for IEAust assessment. Can somebody please tell me some tips on how to make a good CDR or can somebody share me a draft or example.

Its very easy to follow instructions from IEA on how to prepare the CDR, the thing is starting one. Thanks guys and regards.
:)

Nathan Pye Sep 5th 2002 11:34 pm

Re: CDR Help

I have recently received mine back with a Professional Engineering recomendation, so
I guess I must have done something right!

I started off with the narratives for each career episode. Be as truthful as you can
and write about what YOU did, not a group or division. Expand on the work that you
undertook and performed, and how you applied engineering principals to problems etc.
Also explain how you used engineering principles to evaluate and overcome unexpected
problems. I don't think that they expect you to be perfect - I certainly wasn't. They
are looking for how you were able to apply your engineering knowledge to the problem.
Stick to the suggested layouts and word counts for each section, you will find that
it all flows fairly simply.

The competencies claimed part of the CDR is actually the toughest. I'm still unsure
to this day if they require you to cover all of the individual elements - thankfully
I managed to! Use the table tool in word to lay the charts out neatly - An example of
mine was like so:

Element | How & where demonstrated | Paragraph ref

TC1.1 | During all my career episodes I have | CE 1.2.2, CE 3.3.5
| worked in an engineering capacity etc | CE 3.3.4, CE 1.3.9
etc........

You can claim more than one performance criteria for each element, and from different
paragraphs in different career episodes, and you must highlight which ones you are
claiming in the paragraph ref, as above.

Unfortunately, the CDR is a fairly massive undertaking, and it took me about 6 weeks
from start to finish. It is without doubt the hardest part of the entire migration
process. If you make a good job of it though, it's actually quite rewarding.

As for process times, they turned mine around in less than 3 weeks, though I did
deliver it by hand when visiting friends. That may have had something to do with it.

Hope that this helps, and the best of luck. Write back if you need any more advice!

Nathan.

struc_engr <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > Good Day!
    > I am from the Philippines and I am about to prepare my CDR for IEAust assessment.
    > Can somebody please tell me some tips on how to make a good CDR or can somebody
    > share me a draft or example.
    > Its very easy to follow instructions from IEA on how to prepare the CDR, the thing
    > is starting one. Thanks guys and regards.
    > :)

struc_engr Sep 8th 2002 4:11 am

Re: CDR Help

Thanks for your help Nathan. :)