Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cavity Brick construction in Perth

Cavity Brick construction in Perth

Old Sep 23rd 2006, 1:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cavity Brick construction in Perth

Is it true that in Perth most houses are cavity brick. (Why?) I've now seen this on a site external to this one. (Must be true then)

Shouldn't this speak volumes for the insulation properties?

B

PS When I take my daughter for a walk, I've been having a sticky beak at a local home construction in our lane - first house built in 15 odd years - and looking at the framing timber used and the pre-assembled roof tresses as well.

People often comment on shoddy Aussie trademanship, and you know what I think? There are only so many ways you can joint one piece of 90x45(or 35mm ) crapiata pine to another. I've done it myself accurately and strongly on my workbench.

I think it is more the issue with the method not the trade.
Old Sep 23rd 2006, 3:02 pm
UK is Home

Sunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cavity Brick construction in Perth

Just curious how they joined theirs

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Is it true that in Perth most houses are cavity brick. (Why?) I've now seen this on a site external to this one. (Must be true then)

B

PS When I take my daughter for a walk, I've been having a sticky beak at a local home construction in our lane - first house built in 15 odd years - and looking at the framing timber used and the pre-assembled roof tresses as well.

People often comment on shoddy Aussie trademanship, and you know what I think? There are only so many ways you can joint one piece of 90x45(or 35mm ) crapiata pine to another. I've done it myself accurately and strongly on my workbench.

Old Sep 23rd 2006, 11:42 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack

B

I think your confusing tresses with trusses:
Pre stressed trusses are engineer designed and the timber used is the bare minimum dimension wise, they're joined usually with a nail plate that is a metal plate with integral nail shapes, or holes for nails, designed to join the timbers together. I've not seen anyone cut a traditional roof for years as the engineered trusses are so much cheaper and quicker.
Crapiata Pine is only a slang word here in Qld used by DIYers & hobby woodworkers to describe the shockingly warped and twisted timber available at Bunnings or Mitre10. One of the old blokes that often comes around the sites scrounging off cuts to make kids toys has a saying about it. I couldn't possible type it on here though Nice old bloke he spends hours making kids toys and donates them all to charity, I often drop longer off cuts at his house for him if they're to big to strap on his pushbike.
Old Sep 24th 2006, 10:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
I think your confusing tresses with trusses:
Pre stressed trusses are engineer designed and the timber used is the bare minimum dimension wise, they're joined usually with a nail plate that is a metal plate with integral nail shapes, or holes for nails, designed to join the timbers together. I've not seen anyone cut a traditional roof for years as the engineered trusses are so much cheaper and quicker.
Crapiata Pine is only a slang word here in Qld used by DIYers & hobby woodworkers to describe the shockingly warped and twisted timber available at Bunnings or Mitre10. One of the old blokes that often comes around the sites scrounging off cuts to make kids toys has a saying about it. I couldn't possible type it on here though Nice old bloke he spends hours making kids toys and donates them all to charity, I often drop longer off cuts at his house for him if they're to big to strap on his pushbike.
Indeed I am (typo). Trusses. Thankyou.

I know the actual framing pine is made to a standard. MGP10 (sic)

I was joking about the crapita. We had to understand roof construction as part of our fire fighting structural course.

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Sep 24th 2006 at 10:35 am.