Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Caution - Too Much Information

Caution - Too Much Information

Old May 23rd 2005, 3:53 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default Re: Caution - Too Much Information

Originally Posted by darkless
I know that diary discussions have been done to death recently and that there is a range of opinion as to their appropriateness etc. I am not going to go over old ground, but I did want to share some concerns/thoughts that a friend and I were discussing recently regarding the amount of information we all give away in our posts, specifically diary posts.

BE is an open forum whereby there are no check as to who signs up, it is open to the whole of the www etc. That means that whilst I am sure that 99.999% of posters are all good people (i don't have figures to back this up) with only the intention of gaining and giving information, meeting new friends etc, there is always the small chance that someone could visit the forum whose motives are not innocent. We read about dodgy people on the Internet all the time and BE has no protection from them.

My point is that quite often we post information on this forum about our lives which in itself is innocent, but which when combined with a history of comments (and potentially photos), builds up a picture of someones life. Lots of posters are quite careful about the information they give away, others not so.

I am only making this point as I wonder if people are aware of the pictures of their lives which they are building up which potentially could be exploited by evil people. I am not trying to scare anyone, but I did think it was important to make people aware that what they post is available for anyone on the Internet to see.

Things which I would advise that people don't mention:

* Exact time and dates of meet-ups / night-outs etc - I know that is difficult on here as that is what many posts are about, but that info combined with other info (see below) which may have been posted previously could indicate to a burglar that a house is empty on a certain day/time. Although more awkward it would be better to email or PM this info
* Details of partners being away from home
* Address & land line phone details
* Information which could be used to ascertain an address (e.g. the exact date details of a pool installation)
* Photos with captions naming the people in them

Although each one of these things on its own would mean diddly squat, if you were to combine several I am sure you can see that this can build up quite a nice little picture for a potential burglar, etc

Again, I have NOT posted this to scare anyone, I merely thought that in todays society it is worth being a bit vigilant. It is easy to feel that BE is one big family of like-minded individuals, which for the most part it probably is. The problem is you just don't know who is reading the site!

Your Cyber-Neighbourhood Watch Officer

Dave
Totally agree. Do you know how easy it is to find some peoples addresses? in the UK especially as this can be done online . You don't need to be the worlds greatest detective to do this.

All you need is two things; their real name and the general area they are living in. "easy" in some cases. With the more common names , it will take you bit longer to find the right person that's all.. You'll get the info online with the UK , with a search and a couple of quid to access the official info.

I've done it myself , nothing sinister about my motives for my searches; one was to track down a "lost" rellie (a grandmothers brother), all I had is his name, and the council area he was living in - I found the rellie within half hour.I needed the address to get in contact with him. Australia , again you can do this ( but not online), Just means going to the council offices that's all.

It amazes me how much info people do give out, pictures, names, the smaller area where they live - down to the estate they are in. All it takes is a nutter who has s a grudge.

Not trying to scare anyone either, and the chances of something happening are small, but it does happen.
Old May 23rd 2005, 4:10 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ceri
Totally agree. Do you know how easy it is to find some peoples addresses? in the UK especially as this can be done online . You don't need to be the worlds greatest detective to do this.

All you need is two things; their real name and the general area they are living in. "easy" in some cases. With the more common names , it will take you bit longer to find the right person that's all.. You'll get the info online with the UK , with a search and a couple of quid to access the official info.
Yep, I think not putting your last name is definetly the most important.
Old May 23rd 2005, 4:56 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Simone
Yep, I think not putting your last name is definetly the most important.
Most definitely. That's all you need for some people plus the general area.

Having tracked someone's exact address down in the past for threatening my life, just in case I needed it to hand over to the police if this person took it further . The person had used their surname plus the general area where they are from , and even a picture; Not the smartest move by this person to use threats having given out all that info about themselves in the past, but there again these people who make threats tend not to be the brightest bulbs in the box.
Some people are easy to track down. It's a small world these days.
Old May 23rd 2005, 6:41 am
Merlot

Originally Posted by Ceri

I've done it myself , nothing sinister about my motives for my searches; one was to track down a "lost" rellie (a grandmothers brother), all I had is his name, and the council area he was living in - I found the rellie within half hour.I needed the address to get in contact with him. Australia , again you can do this ( but not online), Just means going to the council offices that's all.

It amazes me how much info people do give out, pictures, names, the smaller area where they live - down to the estate they are in. All it takes is a nutter who has s a grudge.

Not trying to scare anyone either, and the chances of something happening are small, but it does happen.
If you have a website you can see on "whoisit" or similiar to get someone's address.

M

Old May 24th 2005, 10:18 am
Down Under and Lovin It

Jacko1 will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up Re: Caution - Too Much Information

I know that diary discussions have been done to death recently and that there is a range of opinion as to their appropriateness etc. I am not going to go over old ground, but I did want to share some concerns/thoughts that a friend and I were discussing recently regarding the amount of information we all give away in our posts, specifically diary posts.

BE is an open forum whereby there are no check as to who signs up, it is open to the whole of the www etc. That means that whilst I am sure that 99.999% of posters are all good people (i don't have figures to back this up) with only the intention of gaining and giving information, meeting new friends etc, there is always the small chance that someone could visit the forum whose motives are not innocent. We read about dodgy people on the Internet all the time and BE has no protection from them.

My point is that quite often we post information on this forum about our lives which in itself is innocent, but which when combined with a history of comments (and potentially photos), builds up a picture of someones life. Lots of posters are quite careful about the information they give away, others not so.

I am only making this point as I wonder if people are aware of the pictures of their lives which they are building up which potentially could be exploited by evil people. I am not trying to scare anyone, but I did think it was important to make people aware that what they post is available for anyone on the Internet to see.

* Exact time and dates of meet-ups / night-outs etc - I know that is difficult on here as that is what many posts are about, but that info combined with other info (see below) which may have been posted previously could indicate to a burglar that a house is empty on a certain day/time. Although more awkward it would be better to email or PM this info
* Information which could be used to ascertain an address (e.g. the exact date details of a pool installation)

Although each one of these things on its own would mean diddly squat, if you were to combine several I am sure you can see that this can build up quite a nice little picture for a potential burglar, etc

Again, I have NOT posted this to scare anyone, I merely thought that in todays society it is worth being a bit vigilant. It is easy to feel that BE is one big family of like-minded individuals, which for the most part it probably is. The problem is you just don't know who is reading the site!

Dave
Totally sound advice!! and something we had overlooked on a couple of items on our own site.

We have modified our website to suit and are wondering if it is possible to password protect all but say the home page? Then give password to trusties, ours ie just really a page for the relies

Dave will give you a ring later this week

Speak soon

Paul J
Old May 24th 2005, 10:25 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Good one Paul, I've been meaning to bump this up all day

A tip for everyone: to check you haven't put your surname in any old posts, use the search function.
If you find some, and the post is to old to edit, pm a moderator to edit it for you.

I found somewhere where I had used it(it was from a newspaper article I typed up about my family), and I believe someone is has changed their username because of this thread.
Old May 24th 2005, 10:47 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

...while some of us have just barricaded the door against them pesky burglar types..... :scared:
Old May 24th 2005, 10:55 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

If you see any lions in Queensland it isn't me

But if you see any zebras I would be glad to here from you.

Please send notification to my personal email address

[email protected]

or you may wish to view my website WWW.lionking.com.au

Very valid points BTW Darkless
Old May 24th 2005, 3:38 pm
Walla's bird

marie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of lightmarie66 is a glorious beacon of light

Dave
Thank you our kindly Neighbourhood Watch Officer!!

I agree with your concerns and have done from the start of joining this forum - which is why I did not use my 'real name' as my user name. Must admit though there are times when I have been drawn into or pm's/ discussions when it falls by the way side and feel the need to say 'my name is not Marie' and even then (especially with pm's suddenly think 'who is this person I am giving this info to??) In hindsight(although I have met a few from this sight through a couple of 'meets' and who were quite 'sane & normal' albeit a mit 'mad'!! (just like me!!)I am sure if someone really wanted to follow my life they could do it from this site (and I feel I've been a little over cautious!!)
It's probably because I have second hand experiences of horrendous things happening to people via the 'net' as to why I remain very wary of giving away too much detail or information. Must stress though this site does become a bit of a comfort zone for those attempting to get to Aus or for those of us lucky buggers that are here, but sometimes we do feel the need to relate/communicate with people who have shared the same experiences!!

Without freaking peole out my bad experiences of the net (albeit second hand) are :-
1) Hubby's best mate was murdered by someone she met via a web site - she met him, did not like him but he stalked her and then murdered her in her own home
2) My sister's neighbour (UK) (who is a police constable btw) is awaiting trial at Crown Court for downloading indecent pictures of children - 145!! of which he transposed from a variety of sites - imagine my sisters anxiety and stress finding out this when her 8 yr old & 3 yr old have been friends with his kids since they all moved onto the same estate 6 years ago.

Anyway- as I said -agree with the word of caution - even though I beleive the majority of people who post are good, decent honest citizens whether in the UK or here in Aus- just be careful because you just never know.
Old May 24th 2005, 4:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

darkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Jacko1
Totally sound advice!! and something we had overlooked on a couple of items on our own site.

We have modified our website to suit and are wondering if it is possible to password protect all but say the home page? Then give password to trusties, ours ie just really a page for the relies

Dave will give you a ring later this week

Speak soon

Paul J
Hello mate,

Look forward to speaking to you. Just in case you forgot it my number is 93.... haha only kidding!!

I can regail you with stories of my f**ked motor and the repair costs. If only I had that Haynes manual of yours!!