British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Caulfield Cup - Predictions (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/caulfield-cup-predictions-260307/)

NJJ Oct 15th 2004 9:48 am

Caulfield Cup - Predictions

OK so it's Caulfield Cup day tomorrow and every "true blue" aussie's going to be having a punt. To make sure you fit in I have devised this poll so You will at least have a guide to the favourites, so when the vest-wearing Draught-swilling collingwood fan / TAB patron approaches you tommorow and asks "who yer backin POM" you will at least have some idea of the race. The top horses are listed here with numbers, name and approximate odds... Good luck and happy punting!!

Nick

PS - FYI Horse 1 (Mummify) was winner last year, horse 5 (Elvstroem, or Elvis to those in the know) is this year's favourite.

PPS - I was thinking of having e/w on Distinction as it was the only English horse in the race but this is now scratched.

ScuntoBris Oct 15th 2004 10:25 am

Re: Caulfield Cup - Predictions

PPS - I was thinking of having e/w on Distinction as it was the only English horse in the race but this is now scratched.[/QUOTE]

Hugs Dancers used to be trained in Lincolnshire prior to moving over to Australia (earlier this year I think). So therefore got to be Hugs Dancer, wish I was on when he won at $25 3 starts back, did not know he was running though.

TrickyTree Oct 15th 2004 10:34 am

Going for Desert War.
Lets hope it can make me some money!!! :D

TT

Originally Posted by NJJ
OK so it's Caulfield Cup day tomorrow and every "true blue" aussie's going to be having a punt. To make sure you fit in I have devised this poll so You will at least have a guide to the favourites, so when the vest-wearing Draught-swilling collingwood fan / TAB patron approaches you tommorow and asks "who yer backin POM" you will at least have some idea of the race. The top horses are listed here with numbers, name and approximate odds... Good luck and happy punting!!

Nick

PS - FYI Horse 1 (Mummify) was winner last year, horse 5 (Elvstroem, or Elvis to those in the know) is this year's favourite.

PPS - I was thinking of having e/w on Distinction as it was the only English horse in the race but this is now scratched.

NJJ Oct 15th 2004 11:16 am

Originally Posted by TrickyTree
Going for Desert War.
Lets hope it can make me some money!!! :D

TT

Good call. I think every horse I listed has at least a decent chance of getting placed. I can't decide on a winner now, I'm tempted on Elvis as I've seen his last few races and he has been really impressive. At those short odds thoguh (and as i'm an $10 or less punter ;->) I this I'll stick 3 in the box tri and see what happens..

NJJ Oct 17th 2004 4:41 am

Race result:

1st/Elvstroem (as predicted ;->)
2nd/Makybe Diva (was gaining on Elvstroem near the finish but lost by half a head)
3rd/Grey Song (Another steady race from this consistent horse)

Other horses mentioned in other posts:

Hugs Dancer 8th - This horse prefers firmer ground. Seems to do best on Good tracks.

Desert War 17th - A surprisingly poor effort from this Gai Waterhouse horse.

It's the greatest wfa race of the year next Saturday so lookout for a Cox Plate post later on in the week!!