Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Caught my first huntsman

Caught my first huntsman

Old Aug 27th 2007, 8:30 am
Just Joined

Pippilongstocking has a brilliant futurePippilongstocking has a brilliant futurePippilongstocking has a brilliant futurePippilongstocking has a brilliant futurePippilongstocking has a brilliant futurePippilongstocking has a brilliant future
Default Re: Caught my first huntsman

They are friendly and great for keeping the flies and cockroaches under control.
I once took one to England in my case by mistake - it survived the plane trip fine but my sister annihilated it when she spotted it crawling out of the case towards her 2 year old.
Old Aug 27th 2007, 10:08 am
Just Joined

clancy is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Caught my first huntsman

I have lived here (bribie island) all of my 55 yrs.. spiders won't bother you
if you don't bother them. Relax and enjoy your own personal bug killer.
Old Aug 27th 2007, 3:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Babsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud ofBabsw has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by clancy
I have lived here (bribie island) all of my 55 yrs.. spiders won't bother you
if you don't bother them. Relax and enjoy your own personal bug killer.
have to admit you do get used to them after a while and they don't bother anyone, prefer them to the ants- now i found they bugged me more but its a case of you have to learn to live with them all coz they are part of life in Aus. and they're not in your house that much. I felt huntsmen were much less common than spiders were in my house in UK and we never got around to spraying our house but friends who did said they never got anything in their house.
Old Aug 27th 2007, 4:12 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

I think the UK is trying to toughen me up before I go as we have had some enormous spiders in the last few days my son was amazed at the size of them
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 1:31 am
A Returning Member!!

Sham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to behold

We have our first Huntsman hanging on the kitchen window, he is well lets say rather large, but for some reason he has sat there for about 3 days now and not moved, BUT he is still alive when I summoned up the courage to tap the window from the other side to the spider (well he is big!!! ) he moved all his legs, anyone know what he might be doing??

I said he/she might be waiting to have her babies???
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 2:50 am
Forum Regular

DCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really nice

He's distracting you whilst all his mates come into your house and find all the best hiding spots int your bedroom.
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 3:27 am
sel
~~~

sel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sham Williams
We have our first Huntsman hanging on the kitchen window, he is well lets say rather large, but for some reason he has sat there for about 3 days now and not moved, BUT he is still alive when I summoned up the courage to tap the window from the other side to the spider (well he is big!!! ) he moved all his legs, anyone know what he might be doing??

I said he/she might be waiting to have her babies???
Could be getting ready to become even BIGGER
Attached Thumbnails Caught my first huntsman-dsc01069.jpg  
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 5:18 am
Forum Regular

Location: Chichester, England, Auckland, NZ, Gold Coast, Oz. Going back to UK 17th Oct
DebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud ofDebiE has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sel
Eww, that's scaaary!! For the last 2 nights, while OH at work I've seen something big, black and moving very fast. But it moves so fast I haven't been able to see what it is. When OH came home he turned the house upside down looking for it, but to no avail.

From what I can make out it's the size of a Cane Toad and very black...I know Cane Toads don't move that quick, so what the hell is it???

Let's hope it comes back tonight so we can capture it.
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 5:25 am
BE Enthusiast

kitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sel
What the hell is that picture? Is it shedding its skin or something?
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 5:43 am
sel
~~~

sel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond reputesel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kitty4
What the hell is that picture? Is it shedding its skin or something?
Yes its a huntsman spider thats shed its skin. Quite amazing to see
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 6:47 am
Account Closed

emelems is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sel
Yes its a huntsman spider thats shed its skin. Quite amazing to see
O M G !!!!!!!

*shudders*
Old Sep 4th 2007, 8:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant futureBishop3912 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by emelems
O M G !!!!!!!

*shudders*
Yuck, cant stand spiders, its my biggest fear about moving to Oz. On the three previous times we have visited I have been looking about with eyes on stalks, however can say experienced several huge cockroaches in the last rental we were in, even went out at our expense and bought traps etc to get rid of them!!!
Old Sep 5th 2007, 12:31 am
FollowTheYellowBrickRoad

karlakoala is a name known to allkarlakoala is a name known to allkarlakoala is a name known to allkarlakoala is a name known to allkarlakoala is a name known to allkarlakoala is a name known to allkarlakoala is a name known to allkarlakoala is a name known to allkarlakoala is a name known to allkarlakoala is a name known to allkarlakoala is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Aldebaran
Well it took me over 30 minutes but I bucked up the courage to go after the huntsman in our bathroom.

It's only the second one I've seen since arriving here (in June). The first one I seen was last night and then we had this one tonight.

They move so fast

I think we should get used to them OK - I think it's because it's our first few.

It's not the same as back home in the U.K. where I could use a little glass to cover over the spider

AL
Originally Posted by bcworld

That is my worst nightmare.....although about half the size of the thing I encountered in my laundry once. If I see that thing again I'm on the first plane outta here!
Originally Posted by wholeworldwindow
yup.....fast!

(I love the way it stretches out his legs before he belts it!)

ARGHGHGHGH!
Originally Posted by kitty4
Here's our huntsman
We let him (or her) stay (if it's female, hope it's not pregnant ). Not a cockroach or bug in sight indoors.
Originally Posted by sel
Well............All I can say is im glad my OH doesnt come on here........he'd be phoning the agent and telling him we've changed our minds!
I think i'll keep this information to myself....
Old Sep 5th 2007, 12:43 am
Ashley Banjo Enthusiast

wholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond reputewholeworldwindow has a reputation beyond repute

Honestly, we get one Huntsman a year in the house. Possibly as we live on an elevated house - but there sure is lots of bushes and trees around us. I was petrified when I arrived here - a complete arracnophobic. But as long as they are not in my house....they get on with their life and I get on with mine! You gotta ask yourself are you really gonna let a little hairy thing like that prevent you from living your dreams? If it's paradise or fear....I know what wins hands down. (I've just taught my 9 year old how to catch them while I lock myself in the loo!.....)