British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Caught my first huntsman (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/caught-my-first-huntsman-476956/)

Aldebaran Aug 26th 2007 12:18 pm

Caught my first huntsman

2 Attachment(s)
Well it took me over 30 minutes but I bucked up the courage to go after the huntsman in our bathroom.

It's only the second one I've seen since arriving here (in June). The first one I seen was last night and then we had this one tonight.

They move so fast :eek:

I think we should get used to them OK - I think it's because it's our first few.

It's not the same as back home in the U.K. where I could use a little glass to cover over the spider :D

AL

Sham Williams Aug 26th 2007 12:21 pm

Re: Caught my first huntsman

We been here since Feb and not seen one "in the flesh" but know the time will come and not tooooo sure i will have enough courage to catch it like you did!! :blink:

Good on ya, also for taking the photos I would be shaking to much!! ha ha

bcworld Aug 26th 2007 12:23 pm

2 Attachment(s)
:ohmy:

That is my worst nightmare.....although about half the size of the thing I encountered in my laundry once. If I see that thing again I'm on the first plane outta here!

Weirdstone Aug 26th 2007 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by Aldebaran (Post 5236782)
Well it took me over 30 minutes but I bucked up the courage to go after the huntsman in our bathroom.

It's only the second one I've seen since arriving here (in June). The first one I seen was last night and then we had this one tonight.

I think we should get used to them OK - I think it's because it's our first few.

It's not the same as back home in the U.K. where I could use a little glass to cover over the spider :D

AL

Wait till you have to use one of these...

http://www.fotosearch.com/thumb/UNY/.../u18454080.jpg

Sunny_Glesga Aug 26th 2007 12:31 pm

i hope thats 1 inch x 1 inch tiles in that photo :eek:

it looks like an armoured tank with legs:rofl:

AL

Weirdstone Aug 26th 2007 12:35 pm

Why are people so scared of them?

Wouldn't like one in my car because it might distract me from driving, but otherwise they do a damn good job keeping the cockroaches away.

wholeworldwindow Aug 26th 2007 12:45 pm

1 Attachment(s)
yup.....fast!

(I love the way it stretches out his legs before he belts it!)

ARGHGHGHGH!:rofl:

bcworld Aug 26th 2007 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by wholeworldwindow (Post 5236849)
yup.....fast!

:unsure:

Right...thats it! www.singaporeair.com seeya!

Sunny_Glesga Aug 26th 2007 12:56 pm

They might be fast but i`m faster:rofl:

i tell you things that size should be muzzeled

AL

Aldebaran Aug 26th 2007 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by bcworld (Post 5236795)
:ohmy:

That is my worst nightmare.....although about half the size of the thing I encountered in my laundry once. If I see that thing again I'm on the first plane outta here!

I don't like to admit it but yours is bigger than mine :p

Aldebaran Aug 26th 2007 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by wholeworldwindow (Post 5236849)
yup.....fast!

My god - the one in your clip is fast - I managed to get mine when he was gasping for breath after the 5 metre dash !!

rockpeblar Aug 26th 2007 1:19 pm

I saw my first one on Friday night on the wall next to the phone. It was massive, at first I thought it was a toy one that the wife had stuck on the wall - then it waved a leg in my direction so I backed off:eek:
Managed to find a large enough glass to put it in and took it outside. It was still in the glass the next morning so I tipped it out and ran back inside.
An hour later I was sitting on the sofa reading the paper when another, thankfully much smaller spider landed on my face - the wife hasn't seen me move so fast in ages!!!
We've already found a redback in the garage and there's a Black Window spider outside on the kitchen window which has got quite large since we moved here 3 months ago!!
Moving to Lesmurdie in a few days and aparently we're more likely to see Dugites than spiders!!

Babsw Aug 26th 2007 2:46 pm

Our eleven year old son,Adam put his foot into his shoe in our house in Adelaide, couldn't put it on properly so took it off and put his hand in his shoe to check and pulled out his hand with one large slightly squashed huntsman attached to his fingers. :eek:I don't know who was more stunned for a while, Adam or the huntsman but Adam moved quicker than the spider on that occasion and to add insult to injury poor old squashed spider went flying through the air with all the force that one shocked Adam could manage. when spider landed i scooped him up and put him outside and he must have recovered from his shock coz he'd gone next time i looked( unless the ants had carried him off while he was stunned!!).
When we got back to UK I was loading the washer and a big (by UK standards) spider crept out and looked quite hurt when i stood and laughed at him.No more fear there!!!:thumbup:

oz bound Aug 26th 2007 4:28 pm

I'm terrified, not sure I want to go anymore :( Didn't know you could get such big spiders indoors thought they were only in the bush :eek: they are huge! I am really scared of spiders would probably vomit if I saw one of those.

Amanda Jayne Aug 26th 2007 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by oz bound (Post 5237277)
I'm terrified, not sure I want to go anymore :( Didn't know you could get such big spiders indoors thought they were only in the bush :eek: they are huge! I am really scared of spiders would probably vomit if I saw one of those.

Me too. How often would I be expected to see these things in Perth? My husband looked quite faint when I just read him the thread and said "makes you think if we really want to go?" :eek:

Amanda