Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cats and Renting Properties

Cats and Renting Properties

Old Jan 22nd 2005, 12:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was Kent, UK...now Pacific Pines Gold Coast and loving it
sonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud of
Default Cats and Renting Properties

I know we are getting ahead of ourselves, as our skills assessment is just going off (!!!) but something has just occurred to us. In the uk it is very difficult to rent properties with animals. Does anyone know if you can rent long term (approx 12 months) with cats in Aus??? Looking at some webistes I can't find any info on wether they allow pets or not.

Any info / advice would put our minds at rest.. Thanks guys

Jud.
Old Jan 22nd 2005, 1:18 pm
maddi

paul&lynn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cats and Renting Properties

We have been looking at threads for the same thing, we have a dog and are looking to rent in April. Some of the members on here have said it is a problem, you can't get the nice modern houses. Astone started a thread about Perth, take a look at it. Apparently if you offer to pay the rent in advance etc you can get lucky. Wouldn't have thought cats are as much as a problem as dogs though.
Old Jan 22nd 2005, 2:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

sonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud ofsonictigger has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by paul&lynn
We have been looking at threads for the same thing, we have a dog and are looking to rent in April. Some of the members on here have said it is a problem, you can't get the nice modern houses. Astone started a thread about Perth, take a look at it. Apparently if you offer to pay the rent in advance etc you can get lucky. Wouldn't have thought cats are as much as a problem as dogs though.
Thanks for this - that is what I am dreading....poor things get put in quarantine for 30 days and then maybe have to stay longer while we find somewhere suitable..... All they ever do is eat and sleep, and guess the heat will make them sleep longer...they are so good....but then I am biased.

Good luck looking for somewhere..what area are you looking at??
Old Jan 22nd 2005, 11:16 pm
Don't use It's green card

baconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of lightbaconmaster is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sonictigger
I know we are getting ahead of ourselves, as our skills assessment is just going off (!!!) but something has just occurred to us. In the uk it is very difficult to rent properties with animals. Does anyone know if you can rent long term (approx 12 months) with cats in Aus??? Looking at some webistes I can't find any info on wether they allow pets or not.

Jud.

My brother has a rental agents in Sydney and he does not rent properties to cats, that could be because
1. none have never asked
2. they can't hold pens and therefore can't sign rental agreements
3. why not give the cat away, the flight will traunatitise it, as will the heat, that's if the spiders don't get it first.

Hope this helps
Old Jan 22nd 2005, 11:47 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Jud.
Hi,

This was something I had a keen interest about, as we brought our 2 cats with us. Before leaving, I emailed & spoke with several of the realtors, who said that it very much depends on the landlord, but that it should not be a big issue. They told me that it was always worth asking, as most times they would be fine about it, and in any case, when there is an oversupply of rental properties, landlords will let to *anyone*!

One thing to note is that most places are unfurnished so it is the tenants' own furniture that the cats would be wrecking, so cats are less of an issue! Dogs, though, are more of an issue because of barking etc.

Because the anti-cat brigade will no doubt hijack this thread, here are a few FACTS based on our experiences of shipping cats to Oz & living here:

Contrary to popular belief, Aussies do not shoot cats, most like them, & cats are very popular pets here. In the remote parts of the bush, feral cats who have got out of hand, run wild & are destroying the environment may be culled by shooting. This seems a logical and humane thing to do in that situation.

In some parts of Oz, there is a domestic cat curfew, where cats are expected to be confined to the house overnight (so that they do not run amok killing local wildlife). Responsible cat owners support this as being good for the enviroment (and let's face it, most cats spend the night alseep on their owner's bed anyway )

You will need to register your cats with the local council and in many areas you are not allowed to keep more than 2 without a special licence. Again, this seems sensible, as it stops people from owning say, 20 cats, in a small suburban unit.

It is a criminal offense here to kill or injure any domestic pet, and large fines apply.

99% of cats are perfectly OK with shipping/quarantine etc. The staff in the quarantine stations are kind & helpful. Like their human owners, the cats might be a bit stressed for a week or so, and some of them fuss about their food a bit (also like their human owners ). However, most are none the worse & settle down OK. We know people who have shipped quite elderly cats, too, & they have been fine.

I have not talked with any vet so far who has treated a cat with fatal spider bites. However, snake bites are a different issue & may well be fatal (as for humans :scared: ). If (like us) you live close to an area where there are snakes, you may wish to make your cats 'indoor cats' (tho ours are getting a fabulously luxurious outdoor run soon!). Our cats only went out for a few hours a day in the UK, so have settled down fine with this.

Finally, ignore all the people who tell you that you must, or must not, ship your cat - and do what is right for you & your pet!

Good luck!
Anya.
Old Jan 22nd 2005, 11:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

desperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to all

Originally Posted by baconmaster
My brother has a rental agents in Sydney and he does not rent properties to cats, that could be because
1. none have never asked
2. they can't hold pens and therefore can't sign rental agreements
3. why not give the cat away, the flight will traunatitise it, as will the heat, that's if the spiders don't get it first.

Hope this helps
lol
Old Jan 23rd 2005, 2:28 am
Forum Regular

Willow is an unknown quantity at this point

Jud.

hi there i am in UK at moment fiance is in melbourne we can not find one place that will exept pets and i have 2 cats which im goin to have to leave with my daugher and her man if we can not find some where that will let us have pets

hope you have luck
willow (caz)
Old Jan 23rd 2005, 3:56 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Willow
hi there i am in UK at moment fiance is in melbourne we can not find one place that will exept pets and i have 2 cats which im goin to have to leave with my daugher and her man if we can not find some where that will let us have pets
Willow

Which area of Melb are you looking in? The realtors we spoke with here said it would be no prob at all - & I have loads of work colleagues who are in rented & have pets. I also work with several people who have investment properties and they seem fine about tenants with pets (they usually ask for a little more bond money in the case of dogs, in case they dig up the yard & wreck it).

I fear that some realtors are lazy s*ds who can't be bothered even to ask the landlords - you need to find a sensible realtor who actually wants to do a deal & work with you on this!

Very best of luck. I'm sure it will be possible - it is just a case of finding someone helpful.

Cheers,
Anya.
Old Jan 23rd 2005, 4:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Good advice from Anya, I'd agree with pretty much everything she said. I would also add that our moggie has settled in really well, but he is fairly young and laid back anyway. The heat isn't that much of an issue, he just sleeps and is more active in the cool of the day. Cats are pretty lazy animals irrespective of weather. They adapt remarkably well to quarantine and are only disorientated for a few days once you move them into your rental.
We paid a bond of $100, which is the maximum they are allowed to charge by law. It's to cover carpet flea treatment if necessary and you should get that back a couple of months after moving, since fleas may take a while hatch
BTW We have been able to buy frontline, plus you need to keep up with worming treatments.
We didn't bring one of our cats as she had recently had an operation to remove malignant melanoma from her ears and nose; the vet recommended that she remained in the UK, plus she moved in with the neighbours and they were happy to keep her.
Any cat lovers should avoid the "Nasty Cat" thread at all costs
ATB
Larissa
Old Jan 23rd 2005, 7:24 am
Forum Regular

scotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the rough

Jud.
We had no problem at all with renting (with cat) the only provision was that the place was professionaly de-flead prior to our departure.

Scot
Old Jan 23rd 2005, 8:00 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Larissa
We paid a bond of $100, which is the maximum they are allowed to charge by law.
I presume that you mean on top of your usual bond payable when you rent a property? In Qld the rental bond normally = 4 weeks rent, but as Larissa has said, there can sometimes be extra to cover any flea treatments or damage caused by a pet.
Old Jan 23rd 2005, 11:45 am
Merlot

All great advice.

We found if you rented a unit or town house with a Body Corporate, it was them that usually "disallowed" cats rather than landlords.

Easier to rent with cats than dogs.

Out cat was an Aussie cat and as such we had her microchipped and registered at the Council early on.

Out cat was bitten by a spider and the vet said that even the most deadly of spiders don't harm moggies, they have an immunity - not sure if this is bull dust or not. This piece of advice cost me $70.00!!!

We brought out cat back to UK, travelled really well as we were frantic. She was a house cat, very nervous of strangers but did really well.

Good luck
Merlot

Old Jan 23rd 2005, 1:30 pm
Forum Regular

heading_downunder is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank everyone for all the great info on this thread. It has been most useful and and has eased my mind a bit about shipping my moggie.
Old Jan 23rd 2005, 2:47 pm
Forum Regular

Mad Moggies R Us is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by heading_downunder
Thank everyone for all the great info on this thread. It has been most useful and and has eased my mind a bit about shipping my moggie.

Thanks for all the info given on this thread, it has definately eased my mind.
We have 3 cats(no kids) so Frishtine,Yazz and Enya are our family( cat peeps know where i'm coming from).
We are mid process at the moment, got positive skills assessment , and agent is sending off visa app to adelaide this week, so fingers, toes and paws crossed.
Just the other night(ok about 4am) I said to my snoring hubby, we will probably have to build an outdoor play/run area for the girlies, I got a mmmmm, snore snore.
I am a receptionist at a vets Cat & Rabbit care clinic, get to see lots of moggies (I know I'm bloody lucky). new product for the flea/house concious
Frontline Combo, works even better than old Frontline.
Thanks for the reassurence about the spider bites, phewee.
I did read a terrible thread on another Forum about cat haters, got me very upset, so good advice to ignore them.
Any recomendations for really good pet couriers would be appreciated, we are
going to emigrate show in Esher Surrey in March, so no doubt will be A couple there, but personal experience of company,s allways good
Also if anyone has any info/experience about the Newcastle/hunter valley area, living /working/social life it would be appreciated

Thanks for all the info on this thread
From Sarah, Craig and the Mad Moggie Crew
Old Jan 24th 2005, 1:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Many thanks for all the advice....it really helps when you know others are also having the same concerns as us.
To those without cats, yes we are all slighlty mad, but then in order of importance, the two cats, Tiger and Jd (yes after the drink), come way above hubby when it comes to insuring they are happy!!!!! I didn't use to be a cat person, but it doesn't take long to get hooked....we've had to knock a hole and 16 inch tunnel in our house wall so they can go out of the cat flap.....in Aus we are thinking about a run for them.

We are heading for the Gold Coast...it was the views of the beach and buying a Harley that grabbed us?!?!?!

Jud.

PS. Mention spiders to out two cats and their face lights up...all those legs to chew on...yum yum....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.