Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Are cats as common in Oz as UK?

Wikiposts

Are cats as common in Oz as UK?

Old May 19th 2004, 5:56 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by JulesandChris
I think BP's probably had his time of wild nights with wild cats??!!He's not a bachelor anymore.
All in the the past now I am a safe old codger.
Old May 19th 2004, 8:52 pm
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Are cats as common in Oz as UK?

Originally posted by Ceri

so while you have you view of me sitting in the USA, about one who only fights for cats ( don't know where you have that idea from)..
I don't know where you got it from either, as I don't have that idea. I was ranting mainly about the hypocrisy practiced by the RSPCA as to what constitutes an animal. And nothing has changed. Animals to them are cats, dogs and horses.

When I move back to Australia I'll be taking up vegetarianism again. It's quite difficult here in Dallas to be one as nearly everything is catered to the omnivore.

Plus, I need to lose weight!

:scared:
Old May 19th 2004, 9:08 pm
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

no way would I want to get my own moggy - I don't need something to scratch me or bubba. Would get a dog, except for the high cost of transporting to Oz, plus timing is not right.

As for dog poos - there are some irresponsible dog owners that should clear up after them. However whilst there are a few dog owners around here their dogs do not come and go on my property as they please and do not use it as a toilet or enter my house. That would be because when they are not on their property they are on a lead.

fertiliser - there is not one mention in all the pregnancy books I have read, nor any other numerous sources that give advice to avoid. At least I can choose which ones I use or not.

There is nothing wrong with being a responsible cat owner, thats your choice, but I don't like how your choices affect me as I do not choose to own a cat yet (here) they are free to roam. So 'indoor cats' are a good solution for those who wish to have and those that wish not to have cats around.

the comment re running over, was joking (I would not actually do it on purpose, tempted but wouldn't), but it is not an offence in uk to run a cat over without stopping or reporting it, for some reason it is not classed as an animal.
Old May 19th 2004, 10:43 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Originally posted by Centurix
Mind you, I find that the richer suburbs in cities tend to have more dog crap than anywhere else. I guess the fine is just pocket money to them.
Quite right - here in S. Yarra, you almost need a shovel to walk along some of the streets (mostly the ones near the designer dress shops in which no garment costs less than $3000 ).

Anya.
Old May 20th 2004, 4:19 am
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

It's a shame that there should be any cost at all to spaying/neutering.
Old May 20th 2004, 4:20 am
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

It's a shame that there should be any cost at all to spaying/neutering. in the long run it would save so much more money (not to mention suffering), if all countries would have free spay/neuter programs. animals do not wish to upset people or the environment. Its the responsibility of the owners to care properly for their pets, which includes cleaning up after them and not letting them stray. but please, dont anyone hurt the animals! they dont know any better.

Last edited by callë; May 20th 2004 at 4:36 am.
Old May 20th 2004, 5:49 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by callë
It's a shame that there should be any cost at all to spaying/neutering. in the long run it would save so much more money (not to mention suffering), if all countries would have free spay/neuter programs. animals do not wish to upset people or the environment. Its the responsibility of the owners to care properly for their pets, which includes cleaning up after them and not letting them stray. but please, dont anyone hurt the animals! they dont know any better.

free spaying / neutering - great idea, can we have it done to all the irresponsible pet owners first?

Aus Pet shops - from what I have seen, all glass show windows selling cats and dogs to the discerning public!!! Buy now $$$loads of dosh and pay dearly later. Actually dearly means put it down or send it to a rescue centre (much like anywhere!)

I am a total cat lover but did not bring my moggie to Aus for loads of reasons. My family want a dog now but I have outvoted them 1:4 so far because of the care and attention any family pet needs.

Dogs - If you are a dog owner in Sydney can you please tell me which beaches you visit with your dog and spend family time on? My kids like to play/surf and we spend on average 3 hrs at a beach, minimum 2hrs when we go and I know the beaches we go to do not allow dogs.

Cats - I would now only own a cat here if I put up a cat run, or had a total in door cat (and that is natural to a cat how?)! Natural Wildlife is special and I enjoy it loads I would miss my possum feeding time and bird feeding time if I had a 'pet'?

Oh the subject of pet shit - I did have more trouble in the UK in a nice area with pet shit than I do where I live now, and in no way do I look at the footpath here like I had to when visiting Amsterdam and Paris!!

Cheers Sand
Old May 20th 2004, 8:03 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Sandra
free spaying / neutering - great idea
Cheers Sand
It's not a new idea.

I am a big cat and my owner got me neutered for free on the NHS
Old May 20th 2004, 9:21 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

"Free neutering" - gawd dang youse Poms take a lot of bringing up. Here's how you do it for yerself:

Genuine Elastrator Applicator

Cool for cats:

Old May 20th 2004, 9:47 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

nice.
Old May 20th 2004, 10:43 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

Sign seen outside a UK vet's surgery:

FREE NEUTERING FOR PENSIONERS

Hmmm, that's all very well, but what about neutering the *cats*?

Anya.
Old May 20th 2004, 1:50 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Don't know so much about free spaying.(nice thought though). .. but in reality, who's going to pay for it?Aus can't even give free inoculations to people let alone spaying animals.

One thing that would help.. change the laws, make it so that all pets that are sold must be neutered before they go on sale.Obviously your dog or cat will cost more to buy.. but if you can't initially afford an extra $50 or so.. you shouldn't be buying the animal anyway.. pets are not cheap to care for.

Pet shops or breeders .. can't stand them ( sorry if I upset any breeders but I have my personal opinion).. there are far too many perfectly good animals being put down.. the shelters are full of such animals. I personally feel if you're truly an animal lover - go buy your cat or dog from a shelter., and forget your designer dog or cat.. it's not a bl**dy handbag, or a frock .. it's a life!. for gawds sake save one of those thousand upon thousand poor souls that will end up being killed ,instead of lining a pocket of someone who breeds sells kittens or puppies for profit..

simple answer change the laws.. all pets before sale have to be neutered.. in years to come you'd see the amount of "strays" go down... but don't hold your breath, I don't think politicians can be arsed about animal welfare.. it's not a vote puller for them.. They spend too much time point scoring off each other , and talking bollux about things people want to hear.. like we'll lower the tax..lol

Cheers

(Phew!)

P.s Ulujain .. now that was a mini soap box .. just getting warmed up

Can I ask you a question? How long have you been out of Aus? Or how long did you live in Aus for? .. you say it's hard being a veggie in the US.. but Aus is no different (I would have thought that the US has far more veggie stuff than Aus) . The vegetarian food here in Aus is few and far between, Australians are very big meat eaters. I always have trouble finding things with no meat in them here. There is few veggie stuff in the supermarkets here , "Not Bacon", not sausages and the odd other product.. very poor choice.

I think I'd literally puke my guts up if I ate meat , I don't crave meat at all, in fact it looks disgusting ( my hubby eats meat.. but not as much as he used to since living with me) .. It's so long since I've eaten meat.. just over 15 years. I originally gave it up because of the cruelty involved of pig faming and such, crammed into pens where they can't move, or turn around (non free range)... I stand by my principals.. pity I haven't the same will power to give up smoking though. (yes I know they test ciggies on animals)
cheers

Last edited by Ceri; May 20th 2004 at 1:56 pm.
Old May 20th 2004, 2:35 pm
I'm an individual!

Centurix is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Megalania
You feed them Fruit Loops?
Old May 20th 2004, 4:21 pm
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Ceri

P.s Ulujain .. now that was a mini soap box .. just getting warmed up

Can I ask you a question? How long have you been out of Aus? Or how long did you live in Aus for? .. you say it's hard being a veggie in the US.. but Aus is no different (I would have thought that the US has far more veggie stuff than Aus) . The vegetarian food here in Aus is few and far between, Australians are very big meat eaters. I always have trouble finding things with no meat in them here. There is few veggie stuff in the supermarkets here , "Not Bacon", not sausages and the odd other product.. very poor choice.

I think I'd literally puke my guts up if I ate meat , I don't crave meat at all, in fact it looks disgusting ( my hubby eats meat.. but not as much as he used to since living with me) .. It's so long since I've eaten meat.. just over 15 years. I originally gave it up because of the cruelty involved of pig faming and such, crammed into pens where they can't move, or turn around (non free range)... I stand by my principals.. pity I haven't the same will power to give up smoking though. (yes I know they test ciggies on animals)
cheers
I was born in Australia and lived there 29 years. Moved to the US in 1998 and been here ever since (given away my age there ) I intend to return home August 31 this year.

I live in Dallas, and it's the heart of cow town USA. No doubt you are right re: vegetarian culture in the US, it's just not in existence much around here in this part of the US. Plus, as the dad of two little kids, it's hard to separate meal making inot meat and non-meat, if that makes sense. I find it hard, anyway.

Moving back home will hopefully inspire me to pursue a vege dirt once more.

I can't eat pork. It makes me sick eating it and chicken needs to be properly cooked before I'll touch it. So I'm fussy as to what meat I will eat.

I gave up smoking January 2003 and haven't regretted doing it, especially since I know what Australia's cigarette prices are. You need to want to give up smoking for yourself, and no amount of ads or preaching will convince you to do it. It' has to come from you.