Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Are cats as common in Oz as UK?

Are cats as common in Oz as UK?

Old May 19th 2004, 7:15 pm
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute
Question Are cats as common in Oz as UK?

If it is not bad enough having next door numerous cats using my garden as a litter tray (did you want any Ceri?) making it a hazzard (I'm preggers) as I particularly like gardening.

But now on a hot sunny day with windows open for ventalation, one of the little buggers got into the house by entering the landing window via the garage roof.

So are there as many of the horribe things about in Oz and can you run them over without having to report it?
Old May 19th 2004, 7:23 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Are cats as common in Oz as UK?

Originally posted by walaj
If it is not bad enough having next door numerous cats using my garden as a litter tray (did you want any Ceri?) making it a hazzard (I'm preggers) as I particularly like gardening.

But now on a hot sunny day with windows open for ventalation, one of the little buggers got into the house by entering the landing window via the garage roof.

So are there as many of the horribe things about in Oz and can you run them over without having to report it?

My two are as common as muck.
Old May 19th 2004, 8:58 pm
WBB

i did not see many when i was over there the last few weeks.........maybe thats because my uncle shoots then on sight.

Old May 19th 2004, 10:07 pm
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

Cats are extremely common in Australia, mainly in places where they shouldn't be common; in the bush supplanting native wildlife.
Old May 19th 2004, 10:20 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Ulujain
Cats are extremely common in Australia, mainly in places where they shouldn't be common; in the bush supplanting native wildlife.
I saw a TV programme a while ago about feral cats in Australia.
They reckon some now weigh up to two stone:scared: and are actually able to hunt wallabies

Fortunately the Aborigines seem to like to eat them

G
Old May 19th 2004, 10:21 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Grayling
I saw a TV programme a while ago about feral cats in Australia.
They reckon some now weigh up to two stone:scared: and are actually able to hunt wallabies

Fortunately the Aborigines seem to like to eat them

G
The farm I visited the other day just trapped and starved the buggers under a shed. I feel a post by Ceri coming along.
Old May 19th 2004, 10:24 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Are cats as common in Oz as UK?

Simple remedy - get one of your own, others won't come to your place and yours will go s**t at someone else's.
Old May 19th 2004, 10:34 pm
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all

No, cats are not that commonly visible here in Melbourne. However, I was shocked to find that pavements and grass areas seem to be covered in *dog* poo - eeewwww. There is as much dog poo about here as there is in Paris or Amsterdam (well, they say Melbourne is Oz's most European city )

You really have to watch where you walk in any reserve or park, and if I had small kids I'd be quite worried about letting them run about anywhere.

It's the only thing I don't like about Melbourne so far (and I am a staunch dog & cat lover/owner, so it is not bigotry).

Anya.

Last edited by anya4oz; May 19th 2004 at 10:40 pm.
Old May 19th 2004, 10:52 pm
Forum Regular

CtrlAltDel is an unknown quantity at this point

Well we'll be planning on bringing three of our four cats with us; the fourth is getting on a bit, and is extremely overweight - we wouldn't want her to die from the stress of transit. We've got a taker for her already
Old May 19th 2004, 11:13 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Oddly enough, the lack cats out in plain view was noticable enough to me that I actually asked about it...
"Do many people have cats here?"
The answer, I found, was "Yes, but they are predominantly indoor cats."

The reasons for which are laws that say they must be in the house before dark so they do not get into mischief (I.e. the next-door-neighbors fishpond or go on bird killing sprees)

Since I've been here (almost 3 mos now), I've only seen two cats NOT in people's windows.

On a personal note, the price for spaying or neutering a cat (or dog) here is astronomical in comparison to the prices back home. Between $200.00 and $300.00 on a good day. Keeping your cat in also seems to be a form of birth control.. hahah
Old May 19th 2004, 11:20 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Siren
On a personal note, the price for spaying or neutering a cat (or dog) here is astronomical in comparison to the prices back home. Between $200.00 and $300.00 on a good day.
It's a question of supply and demand.
Most brickies are really busy housebuilding rite now
Old May 19th 2004, 11:22 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Bix
It's a question of supply and demand.
Most brickies are really busy housebuilding rite now
Does it hurt?

Only if you catch your fingers

G
Old May 20th 2004, 2:13 am
wombat42

In Australia cats are seen as vermin as they have killed off half the native animals. In the country many people shoot them on sight.

Old May 20th 2004, 2:19 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally posted by wombat42
In Australia cats are seen as vermin as they have killed off half the native animals. In the country many people shoot them on sight.
So was that the defence used by these guys?
http://67.15.12.206/forum/showthread...hreadid=229874
Old May 20th 2004, 2:56 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

They are common as hell.. ooh you common moggy you. Cat ownership is just as high as dog ownership ( maybe a just a wee bit less though.. but not by much).

P.s I'd check the laws out if I were you, before listening to cock and bull stories. All animals must be humanely treated.

You can trap a cat in your garden.. cages are provided by RSPCA and other wildlife organisations .. you can't just go running over cats.. or maybe you'd like to join the Au army..

Personally speaking I'd rather shoot humans..as they are so ignorant, wildlife endangerment is due to humans.

cheers

P.s you may want to check out what you catch from dog poo as well.. or do you want me to give you a list.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.