Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cats to Australia

Cats to Australia

Old May 10th 2009, 8:26 pm
Just Joined

mumofthreegbg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cats to Australia

Hello I hope someone has done this before!

Have just had some quotes in for taking our two cats to Oz and there is a big difference between "Gold service" where everything is done for you and "Silver" where you sort out export and import licenses,final vet inspections etc.

Has anyone done it themselves and is it as daunting as it sounds (bearing in mind I've a house to sell, three kids to sort, husband to gee up, etc, etc!!)

I've a vision of us taking off and the cats sitting at Heathrow waving to us as I've left something out

Thanks for any replies.
Old May 11th 2009, 12:37 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cats to Australia

I did the Australian import licence myself. Because you need the licence before the cat can be booked into one of the Australian quarantine animal stations. We came to Perth and Byford (the quarantine station) is small and gets booked up months in advance.

I did the Aus licence and then booked her myself into Byford 6 months before we left. We then used Airpets for the rest and it cost GBP863 for one cat: www.airpets.co.uk

The Aus licence was easy: I downloaded it from the AQIS website and faxed it to AQIS (A kind soul from BE let me use their Aus address as our future address. Once we arrived in Oz, I let Byford know our "new" address.)

I don't know how hard it would be to do the UK export licence. But the final vet inspection is a bit tricky, because (a) it has to be a special (approved) vet and (b) has to be done a few hours before the cat flies out. Might be tricky to organise.
Old May 11th 2009, 1:19 am
Forum Regular

Smartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud ofSmartinis has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by mumofthreegbg
Hello I hope someone has done this before!

Have just had some quotes in for taking our two cats to Oz and there is a big difference between "Gold service" where everything is done for you and "Silver" where you sort out export and import licenses,final vet inspections etc.

Has anyone done it themselves and is it as daunting as it sounds (bearing in mind I've a house to sell, three kids to sort, husband to gee up, etc, etc!!)

I've a vision of us taking off and the cats sitting at Heathrow waving to us as I've left something out

Thanks for any replies.
I don't know much about the import side but where are you heading? I only ask because some people have posted previously that they didn't realise that in many areas cats have to be keep in under a 24 hour curfew. Not all areas by any means but we live on the Mornington Peninsula in VIC and its like that here. If you want your cat to go outside you basically have to have a special cage built for them or fence in your garden in a way that they can't get off your property. It may be worth checking with the local authority in the area you intend to settle. I love cats, kept them all our lives in the UK but wouldn't have one where we live now.
Old May 11th 2009, 2:19 am
Forum Regular

kazza will become famous soon enough

Yeah big problem here they dont like cats had our neigbour ask us to keep our cat off there land how pathetic its a cat for gods sake we have caged ours in now cos there so petty here and will complain about anything
Old May 11th 2009, 4:11 am
Forum Regular

Weird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really niceWeird Fish is just really nice

We brought our 2 cats over in 2007 and used Air Supply shipping Agents. We did all the import/export certificates ourselves and arranged final vets checks etc. The agent deals with the one immediately prior to the flight. Nothing was difficult, just had to make sure everything was done at the right time. As for approved Vets, we contacted DEFRA who said our usual vet was ok (they apparently usually are).

A. Freight charges LHR - ME £547.00
B. Airline Handling/FSC/ISC £64.30
C. Agency Fees £48.00
D. Veterinary Sealing fee £85.00
E. IATA Approved Transit Kennel £55.00
F. Overtime Delivery Charges at 18:00 £20.00
G. Transit Permit £25.00
Total £844.30

Full Export Health certificate £95.00 per cat
Import Permit £205.00
Quarantine A$416.50 for first cat, A$326.50 for subsequent cats

Total cost for 2 cats (Everything!) = £1405 approx

Air Supply are definitely worth contacting. We found them incredibly efficient and helpful and will talk you through the whole process. We had absolutely no complaints.
Old May 11th 2009, 4:18 am
Account Closed

Tooterelli is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kazza
Yeah big problem here they dont like cats had our neigbour ask us to keep our cat off there land how pathetic its a cat for gods sake we have caged ours in now cos there so petty here and will complain about anything

What is pathetic is the notion that you believe your pet has the right to go onto other peoples' land (and probably kills small animals and sh1t everywhere!). When will irresponsible cat owners realise how ignorant that is. If you have a cat keep control of it. Let it sh1t in it's own backyard. Don't allow it to go on other peoples' property and everyone will be happy.
Old May 11th 2009, 5:30 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tooterelli
What is pathetic is the notion that you believe your pet has the right to go onto other peoples' land (and probably kills small animals and sh1t everywhere!). When will irresponsible cat owners realise how ignorant that is. If you have a cat keep control of it. Let it sh1t in it's own backyard. Don't allow it to go on other peoples' property and everyone will be happy.
Ah - spoken like a true cat-hater Personally I am more of a dog-hater: I find it pathetic that dog-lovers think their pet has the right to sh1t on my front lawn. It leaves a horrible mess. Even when it's dried and you happen to go over it with the lawnmower - instant stink. Even more pathetic when the dog-lovers can't be bothered to take their pet for a walk and let it roam the neighbourhood freely. I wish the ignorant dog-owners would realise how irresponsible that is.

But I think we digress: cat-hating or dog-hating doesn't really answer the OP's question on how to get their two cats to Oz more cheaply.
Old May 11th 2009, 5:34 am
Forum Regular

dpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to all

We used AirSupply Shipping as well last September. Total about 1500 GBP for 2 cats. Got a free kennel, but flights more than in your quote and quarantine total cost was $1077- the above charges are for boarding only but AQIS also charges vet fees and transport costs. We also chose to have them collected (200 quid) and spend 5 days at the shipper's cattery (80 quid) prior to the flight to allow them to be wormed etc (60 each), as we didn't have cars by this stage so Birmingham to Staines on public transport with 2 cats wasn't gonna happen.
Old May 11th 2009, 5:45 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tooterelli
Originally Posted by ozhappy981
Ah - spoken like a true cat-hater Personally I am more of a dog-hater: I find it pathetic that dog-lovers think their pet has the right to sh1t on my front lawn. It leaves a horrible mess. Even when it's dried and you happen to go over it with the lawnmower - instant stink. Even more pathetic when the dog-lovers can't be bothered to take their pet for a walk and let it roam the neighbourhood freely. I wish the ignorant dog-owners would realise how irresponsible that is.

But I think we digress: cat-hating or dog-hating doesn't really answer the OP's question on how to get their two cats to Oz more cheaply.
What you both need to remember is that the biggest problem with cats in Australia is that they are not native, and if allowed to run free they can cause immense damage to the natural wildlife. Thats probably the biggest reason why many Australians keep theirs indoors, and why there are fewer cats here anyway.
Old May 11th 2009, 6:09 am
Account Closed

Tooterelli is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pollyana
What you both need to remember is that the biggest problem with cats in Australia is that they are not native, and if allowed to run free they can cause immense damage to the natural wildlife. Thats probably the biggest reason why many Australians keep theirs indoors, and why there are fewer cats here anyway.
A cat kept inside someone else's house is a good cat.
Old May 11th 2009, 6:34 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Well said Polly.

Its the 'what difference is it going to make if my cat kills one parrot/possum?' brigade that I hate.

Or the people that truly believe that their precious cat wouldnt hunt or is too lazy to hunt.

And it is in no way comparable to the damage dogs do - yes there are some irresponsible owners let their dogs attack wildlife but free roaming cats and the damage that they cause cannot be monitored nor controlled.

I am all for cat curfews/restrictions.
Old May 11th 2009, 12:16 pm
Just Joined

mumofthreegbg is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the information. I am seeing a vet this afternoon so will talk to them about the checks etc.

My cats are Australian, (have an accent!!) we flew them over here to the UK three and a half years ago, thinking this was where they would have lived out their lives and we were going to settle. Now however, we are back on the move. Just hope that this will be the last flight for the cats (doubt it will be for us!)

At least I know they will cope with the journey OKish.

Thank you again for the advice.
Old May 11th 2009, 12:42 pm
Kingscliff NSW/QLD border

the plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to allthe plumber is a name known to all

The only thing cats are good for here are fury hats......

ps don't get me wrong ....i love cats.......
Old May 11th 2009, 1:45 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the plumber
The only thing cats are good for here are fury hats......

ps don't get me wrong ....i love cats.......
I use mine as a foot warmer, my ginger pussy is curled up on the end of the bed keeping my feet warm.

Although I am not talking to him as he brutally murdered my phone charger and like glossy cockatoos, they are an endangered species.
Old May 11th 2009, 10:21 pm
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

Rubbish. The impact of pet cat predation on native wildlife in urban suburbs within Australia has been researched many times, yet this myth still persists.

Roughly one third of Australian households have at least one pet cat. The reports have shown that 60%-65% of household cats in Australia don't even hunt and the 35% that do tend to focus on introduced species (like rabbits, black rats, etc)

A 1998 report showed that the vast majority of native wildlife killed are done so by the following (in order) man, cars, foxes, rabbits, rats, hoofed animals, changes to water ways, introduced birds, pollution. Other reports have shown that of those household pet cats that do hunt they catch on average 1.94 - 3.4 native animals a year (not a night, week or month) and native birds count for less than 1% of those. A WIRES report in 1997 showed that 87% of surveyed road kill identified were native species and the author estimated that some 12 million native animals were killed by cats each year. almost ten times the impact of feral and household cats combined.

There is as much chance that my cat would kill a Brushy Possum or Cockatoo as there is that your "Spoodle" would kill Skippy the Kangaroo. In other words for those who would blame my cat or his cat or her cat for being the harbinger of death for local Australian wildlife, take a look in the mirror.

Al

Last edited by bigAPE; May 11th 2009 at 10:23 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.