British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Are cats accepted in Perth? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/cats-accepted-perth-498865/)

Ozzy7 Dec 9th 2007 8:13 pm

Are cats accepted in Perth?

Im torn in two and cant decided if we should bring our beloved cat to Perth with us in a few months time.
My SIL has offered to take him in and I know he would be well looked after and spoilt living with her as she is a big cat lover.
However The kids and I really want him to come to OZ with us, but I cant help feel guilty putting him through the long plane ride and quariantee etc, my OH said he would soon settle in with his sister and as long as hes fed and happy he would be ok as cat's are not loyal.
I just wanted to know are cats accepted in Perth and are they allowed outside as Ive heard in some parts of OZ cats are classed as a nuisance and some people have turned there outdoor cat into an indoor cat because of this. I couldnt do this to our cat as hes an outdoor cat and a right little hunter, to me keeping him indoors seems cruel as I know he would hate being kept in.:unsure:

Cheetah7 Dec 9th 2007 8:54 pm

Re: Are cats accepted in Perth?

Originally Posted by Ozzy7 (Post 5650478)
Ive heard in some parts of OZ cats are classed as a nuisance and some people have turned there outdoor cat into an indoor cat because of this. I couldnt do this to our cat as hes an outdoor cat and a right little hunter, to me keeping him indoors seems cruel as I know he would hate being kept in.:unsure:

I think you have just answered your own question Im afraid. If as you say he is a hunter and you feel that you cannot confine him then I would say it is kinder to rehome him.

Some people however do 'cat proof' their gardens so their cats can still enjoy outside up until a point but cannot damage the local wildlife.:)

Dorothy Dec 9th 2007 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by Professional Princess (Post 5650565)
I think you have just answered your own question Im afraid. If as you say he is a hunter and you feel that you cannot confine him then I would say it is kinder to rehome him.

Some people however do 'cat proof' their gardens so their cats can still enjoy outside up until a point but cannot damage the local wildlife.:)

It's not just the wildlife. We have a couple of outdoor cats in our neighbourhood who think our vegetable garden is their own personal litterbox. It drives me crazy to have someone else's cat shitting in MY yard. I'm thinking of going over to their house and taking a dump on their patio so they can see what we put up with.

Cheetah7 Dec 9th 2007 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 5650819)
It's not just the wildlife. We have a couple of outdoor cats in our neighbourhood who think our vegetable garden is their own personal litterbox. It drives me crazy to have someone else's cat shitting in MY yard. I'm thinking of going over to their house and taking a dump on their patio so they can see what we put up with.

I double dare you to go to their garden, whip your knicks down and log out on their lawn.

Knock on their door and say 'Now that will help your garden grow, same time tomorrow?'

:rofl:

Dorothy Dec 9th 2007 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by Professional Princess (Post 5650822)
I double dare you to go to their garden, whip your knicks down and log out on their lawn.

Knock on their door and say 'Now that will help your garden grow, same time tomorrow?'

I'll have to get the old man to go pee under their bedroom window too in order to mark his territory.

Nu-Shooz Dec 10th 2007 12:17 am

Im torn in two and cant decided if we should bring our beloved cat to Perth with us in a few months time.
My SIL has offered to take him in and I know he would be well looked after and spoilt living with her as she is a big cat lover.
However The kids and I really want him to come to OZ with us, but I cant help feel guilty putting him through the long plane ride and quariantee etc, my OH said he would soon settle in with his sister and as long as hes fed and happy he would be ok as cat's are not loyal.
I just wanted to know are cats accepted in Perth and are they allowed outside as Ive heard in some parts of OZ cats are classed as a nuisance and some people have turned there outdoor cat into an indoor cat because of this. I couldnt do this to our cat as hes an outdoor cat and a right little hunter, to me keeping him indoors seems cruel as I know he would hate being kept in.:unsure:

I have 2 cats and i keep them indoors. But not because i have to, i want to. They do go in the garden as it is secure and can't get out. But plenty of cats where i am roaming around.

jo&neil Dec 10th 2007 12:52 am

Hi,

In my opinion, yes cats are accepted in Perth, but I think it all depends on who you listen to.... we bought our beloved Siamese cat out here with us (couldnt bear to leave her behind!), & have had 'no' problems at all in a year! She comes & goes as she pleases in the day & is kept in at night. We have a litter tray indoors which she uses. She does not wander far preferring to stay in & around our garden. As for hunting the most she has caught is the odd cricket!! Its a good idea to put a 'collar with a bell on' (to scare off birds if needed), although she never wore 1 in the uk due to being micro-chipped. Our neighbours have 2 cats too & I have seen lots of other cats in our neighbourhood. Be aware that it can be more difficult to find a rental though if you do have pets.

I would do whats right for your family & the cat, i'm glad that we bought ours though!

xx

the plumber Dec 10th 2007 6:38 am

only as head gear....eg...hat....:thumbup:

jensteve Dec 10th 2007 12:32 pm

We had a cat in the Uk who was a fantastic hunter we decided it was not fair on him or the native wildlife to bring him so he was re-homed.

Anyhow on another note, yep thousands of cats here, but there is a whole lot of people who don't like cats, I have to admit have bought a fauna block and there are no cats allowed which suits me fine as I would rather have the birds and the rest of Aussie wildlife without it getting munched by a pussy cat.

Jenny

Cheetah7 Dec 10th 2007 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by jensteve (Post 5652654)
We had a cat in the Uk who was a fantastic hunter we decided it was not fair on him or the native wildlife to bring him so he was re-homed.

Anyhow on another note, yep thousands of cats here, but there is a whole lot of people who don't like cats, I have to admit have bought a fauna block and there are no cats allowed which suits me fine as I would rather have the birds and the rest of Aussie wildlife without it getting munched by a pussy cat.

Jenny

Exactly:thumbup:

I like the idea of catproofing a garden, but some people still find this cruel.

My cat Gordon is what you would call an indoor hunter, towels, socks and bras are brutally torn apart and savaged.

I do fear that my bras will shortly become endangered species or worse still - extinct!:lol:

jensteve Dec 11th 2007 11:58 pm

There are certainly companies over here that do outside runs for cats, they are huge play runs by the way with tunnels etc, usually incorporate a window in the house so the puss cats can go in and out as they please. These seem to be very common, so assume they must be reasonable cost.
On another point please vacc your cat fully, I would go as far to say not the usual F3 vaccs or the F5 get the add-ons as well, lots of disease ridden moggies here.
Jenny

Teabag Dec 12th 2007 12:18 am

I would do whatever feels right to you. That's what most Aussies do!
If you want a cat that keeps the mice down and kills the odd sparrow then so what? There are plenty of vermin for her to hunt. If you want to keep your cat safe from becoming road kill or attacked by other cats or dogs then build a cat run or keep her inside.

I have a little hunter and so far this week he has caught a mouse (good) a rat (better) a baby bunny (sad but an introduced creature not a native) and a sparrow (sad, but they keep stealing my chook food so they are vermin too)

Fenton Beasley Dec 12th 2007 3:06 am

Cat's are accepted here, but not in restaurants. They tend to sh*t in the strogonoff.

Nu-Shooz Dec 12th 2007 3:11 am

Originally Posted by Fenton Beasley (Post 5658908)
Cat's are accepted here, but not in restaurants. They tend to sh*t in the strogonoff.

Ozzy7 Dec 12th 2007 7:43 am

Thanks for all your replies, Im still unsure what to do for the best, I think we might leave the cat here in the UK :unsure: as I havent got a care of address in Perth which is needed to get his permit.