Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Catholic Schools/Enrolment/etc

Catholic Schools/Enrolment/etc

Old Nov 17th 2005, 9:14 am
Account Closed

Rooksie is an unknown quantity at this point
Arrow Catholic Schools/Enrolment/etc

Does anyone have any experience of enrolling their children into a Catholic School - particularly in Brisbane area?

Our children are currently attending a Catholic primary school in UK.

I have emailed a few schools in Brisbane, GC & SC but have heard nothing back yet.

Might sound crazy to some but this is something right at the top of my priorities. I'm not dissing state schools but Ive got Holy Communions and Confirmations to consider!!
Old Nov 17th 2005, 9:15 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Catholic Schools/Enrolment/etc

Originally Posted by Rooksie
Does anyone have any experience of enrolling their children into a Catholic School - particularly in Brisbane area?

I have emailed a few schools in Brisbane, GC & SC but have heard nothing back yet.

Might sound crazy to some but this is something right at the top of my priorities. I'm not dissing state schools but Ive got Holy Communions and Confirmations to consider!!

NO! NO! don't do it
Old Nov 17th 2005, 9:16 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by fraser
NO! NO! don't do it

its the only way i know - i was brainwashed as a young child!!

hows work mate!?!?!
Old Nov 17th 2005, 9:22 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

its the only way i know - i was brainwashed as a young child!!

hows work mate!?!?!
As long as you know

Works bloody hard, digging around new builds that are built on clay with a pick axe.

All for $120 a day, but they've been picking me up.

I'm exhausted had about 12 hours sleep this week what with everything that's been going on.

The boss phoned me tonight wanys me to go to Craigeburn tomorrow about 110 k round trip and I have to drive, so after tax will leave me $80 for a days diggibg in the sun.

Did I mention I'm burnt
Old Nov 17th 2005, 9:24 am
Account Closed

As long as you know

Works bloody hard, digging around new builds that are built on clay with a pick axe.

All for $120 a day, but they've been picking me up.

I'm exhausted had about 12 hours sleep this week what with everything that's been going on.

The boss phoned me tonight wanys me to go to Craigeburn tomorrow about 110 k round trip and I have to drive, so after tax will leave me $80 for a days diggibg in the sun.

Did I mention I'm burnt

remember how you wanted this so badly mate!!

and you know what, i bet you love it really!!!

how is rachel??
Old Nov 17th 2005, 9:27 am

remember how you wanted this so badly mate!!

and you know what, i bet you love it really!!!

how is rachel??
She's not happy not only does she have the kids, tomorrow she has them with no car.

Oh and she took Henry to see his Kindy and got talking to a woman who said she's had snakes in her garden and her house is overun with redbacks.

Rachel asked where she lived, about 100 metres from us :scared:

Oh and Rachels grandad fell and broke his hip
Old Nov 17th 2005, 9:31 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute

Our kids are in the local Catholic primary and secondary schools although we hadn't planned for them to go before we came here. In the Uk they had gone to Catholic schools but they had just spent 3 years in international schools in Brussels as we wouldn't afford the fees for the catholic one so I wasn't fussed either way here.
However once we arrived we went to look at all of the schools and the Catholic ones were by far the best for our kids personal circumstances. We just called once we arrived and went to have a look and they were enrolled to start the following week so pretty straightforward really. I wouldn't get too stressed about not hearing back from e-mails as the schools that I contacted all seemed pretty slow in that area. What we have seen is that there is a difference in ages for Holy Communions and Confirmations etc but this isn't a big deal as the kids will just go along with the younger kids next year and there is usually a mix of ages anyway. If you think that enrollment might be a problem then get a letter from your local parish as that should help and perhaps give them a call once you know when you will be arriving and see what they say.
We are in Victoria so I can't really comment about other states but in general it has been fairly easy going here.
Good luck and we too are passing on the brainwashing to a new generation
Nicky
Old Nov 17th 2005, 9:43 am
BE Enthusiast

melibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond repute

My children go to catholic schools in Melbourne. We emailed before we came out here but basically you have to have an address in their catchment area before they would enrol them. Its pretty straightforward - once you have an address, all the school wanted to see were their baptismal certificates. They also needed vaccination certificates before they could start too, I got these fairly easily just by bringing their red child health record books from the UK to the local council offices and they sent the certs out a few days later.

Mel
Old Nov 17th 2005, 9:44 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by NickyP
Our kids are in the local Catholic primary and secondary schools although we hadn't planned for them to go before we came here. In the Uk they had gone to Catholic schools but they had just spent 3 years in international schools in Brussels as we wouldn't afford the fees for the catholic one so I wasn't fussed either way here.
However once we arrived we went to look at all of the schools and the Catholic ones were by far the best for our kids personal circumstances. We just called once we arrived and went to have a look and they were enrolled to start the following week so pretty straightforward really. I wouldn't get too stressed about not hearing back from e-mails as the schools that I contacted all seemed pretty slow in that area. What we have seen is that there is a difference in ages for Holy Communions and Confirmations etc but this isn't a big deal as the kids will just go along with the younger kids next year and there is usually a mix of ages anyway. If you think that enrollment might be a problem then get a letter from your local parish as that should help and perhaps give them a call once you know when you will be arriving and see what they say.
We are in Victoria so I can't really comment about other states but in general it has been fairly easy going here.
Good luck and we too are passing on the brainwashing to a new generation
Nicky
LOL!!

thanks for that

i was beginning to stress but a letter from our Priest wont be a problem even if it means a "donation"

Cheers

Jac
Old Nov 17th 2005, 9:45 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by melibeam
My children go to catholic schools in Melbourne. We emailed before we came out here but basically you have to have an address in their catchment area before they would enrol them. Its pretty straightforward - once you have an address, all the school wanted to see were their baptismal certificates. They also needed vaccination certificates before they could start too, I got these fairly easily just by bringing their red child health record books from the UK to the local council offices and they sent the certs out a few days later.

Mel

Thanks Mel
Old Nov 17th 2005, 9:45 am
Account Closed

She's not happy not only does she have the kids, tomorrow she has them with no car.

Oh and she took Henry to see his Kindy and got talking to a woman who said she's had snakes in her garden and her house is overun with redbacks.

Rachel asked where she lived, about 100 metres from us :scared:

Oh and Rachels grandad fell and broke his hip

oh CRAP!!! :scared:
Old Nov 17th 2005, 1:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

joanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud of

oh CRAP!!! :scared:
Hi j, totally know where you are coming from, the brainwashing from the young age has now been passed onto my kids!! Also catholic schools high on our priority list, my mum would definitely cut me out of her will if I didn't send them to catholic school!LOL!
It would be nice to hear from any expats living in Brissie area if their kids go to the catholic schools. There must be more than just two of us that have been brainwashed from a young age!! Remember those lovely nuns that use to beat the kids up at school!!!!! (only joking)! NOT!
jox
Old Nov 18th 2005, 2:22 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joanneS
Hi j, totally know where you are coming from, the brainwashing from the young age has now been passed onto my kids!! Also catholic schools high on our priority list, my mum would definitely cut me out of her will if I didn't send them to catholic school!LOL!
I
Is that a serious comment? Pretty sad if so.

I'm of the view that the right place for children to develop and learn about their faith is at church - not outsourced to the schools. Many Protestant churches take this quite seriously.

Jeremy
Old Nov 18th 2005, 4:04 am
Phil is NOT a bloke!!!!

philian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the roughphilian4 is a jewel in the rough
Smile Re: Catholic Schools/Enrolment/etc

Originally Posted by JAJ
Is that a serious comment? Pretty sad if so.

I'm of the view that the right place for children to develop and learn about their faith is at church - not outsourced to the schools. Many Protestant churches take this quite seriously.

Jeremy
Hi Jeremy,
can't speak for the OP but you must've read 'Once a Catholic'????? We too educate our children in the Catholic system (always have done) as I truly believe that Faith shouldn't just be a once a week thing, and I am pleased with the way the ethics and morals and values of the church are reinforced and lived in the school. Don't take me to be a brainwashed Catholic and I can't speak for the qualities I've mentioned in non-Catholic schools, I'm sure they are present but it's a wonderful way to pass on your faith by living it at home (in a very fallable way), attending Church and having the children educated in a sectarian school-kind of a 3 pronged attack!

Just my two-penneth worth!
Phil x
Old Nov 18th 2005, 4:42 am
Just Joined

sunbaker will become famous soon enough

Hiya

We are in bayside in Brisbane and have four children enrolled into catholic schools, two in primary two in secondary, you dont have to be in the catchment areas but they do need to see copies of baptismal cerificates, it was pretty straight forward we just turned up at both schools the primary interviewed us there and then and offered places they do offer places to non catholics also, we did have an awful lot of trouble finding the right school as my twelve year old had to go back into primary here from secondary in the uk and we couldnt get places for her at all and we then had to get her onto the lists for 2006 again they were full our local catholic secondary is carmel college they have no place for her for next year luckily after chatting to parents most of them were sending the girls to lourdes hill at hawthorne in brisbane no places but went to an open day and very impressed with it, I pestered them to death and she has a place, I think if you contact the school via phone and speak to the enrollment officer you will defo get more information,

cheers
donna

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.