Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Catholic School Fees

Catholic School Fees

Old Jul 21st 2005, 11:51 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Catholic School Fees

As I have some info available, on Catholic School Fees, from another thread, here it is again, under it's own heading, for ease of finding by others:

All these fees are quoted as Annual Fees

Queensland Catholic School Fees 2004

Primary:
* Preschool $680 per student
* Primary $680 per student
* $960 for two children
* $1,170 per family of 3 or more students
Building fund contribution $340 per primary school family

Secondary:
* Junior Secondary $1,440 per student or $2,400 per family (2 students or more)
* Senior Secondary An additional fee of $108 is charged for each child in senior secondary
Compulsory building fund levy per family $440.

Approximately 80% of funding for our Catholic schools comes from both governments.
from http://www.bne.catholic.edu.au/pub/d...mation2004.pdf

-------------

Victorian Catholic Schools and Income

The actual Fees quoted for 2003 were:
Fees and Charges 2003
Primary – Prep mean fee – $931
Secondary – Year 7 mean fee – $2,303

In the 2003 financial year:
56% of total income came from the Australian Government
16% of total income came from the State Government
Total 72% paid by the Governments
28% came from the fees and other private sources

from: http://www.cecv.melb.catholic.edu.au...s/overview.htm

-------------

NSW Catholic systemic schools for 2005
Primary: $696 for 1st child, $558 for 2nd child, $417 for third child and FREE for the next ones.
Secondary: $996 for 1st child, $798 for 2nd child, $597 for third child and FREE for the next ones.
Years 9-10 $1,101 for 1st child, $882 for 2nd child, $660 for third child and FREE for the next ones.
Years 11-12 $1,488 for 1st child, $1,191 for 2nd child, $894 for third child and FREE for the next ones

It is all paid for by:
For Catholic systemic schools in Sydney,
the Commonwealth provides nearly 60% of annual income,
the NSW State government about 25%,
Total 85% paid by the Governments
with the remaining 15% coming from parents and parishioners

from http://www.ceo.syd.catholic.edu.au/faqs/#no.11

Old Jul 22nd 2005, 12:05 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Catholic School Fees

Has anyone tried actually getting into one of these ^^ schools yet? out of interest? If so, dish
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 12:29 am
BE Enthusiast

melibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond reputemelibeam has a reputation beyond repute

My kids are in catholic schools, two in primary and the total for both of them is about $3000 per year. One in secondary, year 9 and his fees are nearer to $5000. They add on a lot of extra levies, for example excurisons, sports, drama, music, italian (all compulsary) and uniform and books are extra.

Getting in was no problem (much easier than in UK), I am catholic (very lapsed) and kids were baptised in catholic church, so all we had to produce were their baptismal certificates.

Mel
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 1:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Jaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by hevs
Has anyone tried actually getting into one of these ^^ schools yet? out of interest? If so, dish
Hevs, Alana goes to a catholic school.

I think her fees are $1065 for the year, along with a $60 fee if you don't attend one of the working bees throughout the year (I always go to the first one as there's not so much work to do....lazy cow that I am!!). You can pay the fees throughout the year as long as they're all paid by the end of October.

The fees include all excursions, 6 week swimming schedule, all books, pencils etc.

All we have to pay for is her school uniform, shoes etc. And any extras like the school disco.

We are not catholic, but as the school has a great reputation and her aunt is a teacher there, that's where we wanted her to go, and we didn't have to be put on the waiting list...sometimes it's now what you know but who you know!!
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 8:10 am
Forum Regular

TracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really nice

Hi Hevs,

I understand that there are long waiting lists for the catholic schools in Berwick, is that right? I have been chatting on email with Caroline and she said your daughters go horseriding together. Which school does your daughter go to, is she the same age as Jem? We are moving to Berwick in Nov (I am visiting for 2 weeks next month) but we will be on a temporary visa and Beaconhills said unfortunately they could not accept my girls (Emily 11, Sophie 9 and Chloe 8) until we have PR. Having said it seems to me that Berwick SC and Kambrya SC seem to have good reputations. What are your findings with regards to schools? Our youngest has social/communication difficulties so I am a bit concerned about how the new school (we are looking at Berwick PS and Beaconsfield PS) will "cope" with her. Luckily she is very bright but has autistic tendencies (mild Aspergers/ADHD), so not sure how she will cope with the change.

Tracy
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 8:37 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jaykay

We are not catholic, but as the school has a great reputation and her aunt is a teacher there, that's where we wanted her to go, and we didn't have to be put on the waiting list...sometimes it's now what you know but who you know!!
You cheats

I am trying to kind of "debate" this but i guess with the wrong aged kids

In my world i am looking at year 7 so we ARE talking waiting lists from hell (believe me i've done the calls ) I also kind of do an involuntary shudder at the world Catholic School, brrr, just did it again Can't help it, just not for me i suppose. However the word Christian just makes me think of sandals
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 8:46 am
ABCDiamond

I also kind of do an involuntary shudder at the world Catholic School, brrr, just did it again Can't help it, just not for me i suppose. However the word Christian just makes me think of sandals
To be honest, I always felt much the same as you
But the Christian School we use, isn't anything like I would have expected. About 10-15 mins per day "Christian Studies", and no need for any of us to attend church Good job too.... (for me) ..

I did more than that in RE back in my old school days

Old Jul 22nd 2005, 8:57 am
High in the Dandenongs

Originally Posted by TracyAnne
Hi Hevs,

I understand that there are long waiting lists for the catholic schools in Berwick, is that right? I have been chatting on email with Caroline and she said your daughters go horseriding together. Which school does your daughter go to, is she the same age as Jem? We are moving to Berwick in Nov (I am visiting for 2 weeks next month) but we will be on a temporary visa and Beaconhills said unfortunately they could not accept my girls (Emily 11, Sophie 9 and Chloe 8) until we have PR. Having said it seems to me that Berwick SC and Kambrya SC seem to have good reputations. What are your findings with regards to schools? Our youngest has social/communication difficulties so I am a bit concerned about how the new school (we are looking at Berwick PS and Beaconsfield PS) will "cope" with her. Luckily she is very bright but has autistic tendencies (mild Aspergers/ADHD), so not sure how she will cope with the change.

Tracy
Blimey, where to start?

My daughter goes to a small primary called Harkaway primary, it has 2oo ish pupils, small by Aussie standards.

Beacon hills has a good rep, but has huge waiting lists and don't fancy our chances for 2007 with my 11 year old (currently year 5) I am also concerned that now the school has 2 campuses it will become a victim of its own success and has maybe become to large?

Both Berwick and Beaconsfield primary's have good reps but Ber wick is big (over 800 pupils)

My son is on the autistic spectrum and would freak in such a big place at the moment, hence Harkaway is perfect for him. There are also smaller schools at Nearer warren North and at Upper Beaconsfield. It just depends how big a comfort zone your daughter needs. I suggest a tour of the schools and see which one "feels" right. (if you need numbers etc, pm me)

Its also worth noting that the smaller schools sometimes struggle with funding so it can be hard to get extra help, this said the whole system is sadly lacking for children on the autistic spectrum and they have to be really behind before they get help

This said i decided for my son that the learning environment of a smaller school would be far less stressful that a bigger overwhelming school and hoped he'd settle in and not get "lost" and luckily the gamble has paid off. He is happy well adjusted and finally reading!!!! I am convinced its to do with the fact all the teachers know all the kids and they are like a really happy unit all working together. This said its not right for all children

Hope that answered everything, if you need any other help pm me anytime
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 9:00 am
High in the Dandenongs

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
To be honest, I always felt much the same as you
But the Christian School we use, isn't anything like I would have expected. About 10-15 mins per day "Christian Studies", and no need for any of us to attend church Good job too.... (for me) ..

I did more than that in RE back in my old school days
So you are into the Christian bit? not Catholic?

It depends on the school, some of the Christian ones do 15 mins "devotion" (I'm getting a shudder again ) a day, other actually list their study list with English, Maths, Music, Bible (BIBLE :scared: ) etc. I am off on a big reccie next week, i will report all findings.........
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 9:13 am
ABCDiamond

It depends on the school, some of the Christian ones do 15 mins "devotion" (I'm getting a shudder again ) a day, other actually list their study list with English, Maths, Music, Bible (BIBLE :scared: ) etc. I am off on a big reccie next week, i will report all findings.........
How would one describe me ? I've been to church twice in the last 30 years Once for one of my weddings (the one that went wrong ), and the other to some other poor fool doing the same thing

Old Jul 22nd 2005, 9:16 am
High in the Dandenongs

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
How would one describe me ? I've been to church twice in the last 30 years Once for one of my weddings (the one that went wrong ), and the other to some other poor fool doing the same thing
LOL, i ment the school, not the god bothering
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 10:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Jaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura aboutJaykay has a spectacular aura about

I also kind of do an involuntary shudder at the world Catholic School, brrr, just did it again Can't help it, just not for me i suppose. However the word Christian just makes me think of sandals
Hevs I know what you mean. As you could probably tell we are definitely not "churchy" people.

We've sat Alana down and explained to her that she is not a catholic and doesn't have to practice any of the stuff that they learn at school when she's at home, and she doesn't have to go to church on Sundays, or pray etc etc.

She does come home somedays talking about god and that sort of stuff, and we do listen to what she says, but just don't encourage it (but we don't discourage it either ).

We may consider changing to a non catholic school when she goes to seconday school (maybe Luther College) but we may consider sending her to Mt Lilydale College, which is the sister school. We aren't too bothered at the moment though. Still trying to get her through Grade 1 without too many bumps and bruises
Old Jul 22nd 2005, 10:54 pm
ABCDiamond

We may consider changing to a non catholic school when she goes to seconday school (maybe Luther College) but we may consider sending her to Mt Lilydale College, which is the sister school. We aren't too bothered at the moment though. Still trying to get her through Grade 1 without too many bumps and bruises
In case it helps, mine goes to a Lutheran School

Old Jul 22nd 2005, 11:03 pm
High in the Dandenongs

Hevs I know what you mean. As you could probably tell we are definitely not "churchy" people.
And there was me thinking you were such a good, god fearing girl

Its not that i'm atheist, more agnostic, (I'm dyslexic and would like to believe theres a dog!) and would like to give my kids the opportunity to make an informed decision, but I'm C of E if anything, not Cathlic, so it would just feel too wrong. (brrrr, just did it again)

Glad it works for some though
Old Jul 27th 2005, 5:17 am
Badge

I went to a Christian school and I find many, if truth be told, actually don't take religion THAT seriously, they attend to attract the more diligent parents and often your kids end up with a half decent education to boot. Schools seem to being get more secular? (Not sure)

I would have no qualms about sending any of my kids to a Catholic school - infact if this saves me having to fork out 1000s for private, then its no 1 on my list. I'd even get some rosary beads and say "Hail Mary - full of grace" - 3 times a day - I saw that in "A Bridge Too Far". lol.

I got married in a Catholic church in a Latin American country - I was bowing and curtesying and genuflecting like it was going out of fashion - no skin off my nose. The Priest even interrupted the Bridal march to have a word with my wife over some of her transgressions.

PS Upper Beac Primary school has a fast response fire brigade service.
We've been there twice in as many weeks.

Badge

Last edited by Badge; Jul 27th 2005 at 5:20 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.