Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

cathay or malaysia?

cathay or malaysia?

Old Aug 24th 2006, 7:36 pm
sunseekers

sunseekers is a name known to allsunseekers is a name known to allsunseekers is a name known to allsunseekers is a name known to allsunseekers is a name known to allsunseekers is a name known to allsunseekers is a name known to allsunseekers is a name known to allsunseekers is a name known to allsunseekers is a name known to allsunseekers is a name known to all
Smile cathay or malaysia?

booking flights tomorrow! 25th sept :scared:
cathay pacific or malaysia? both are around the same price ,cathay stops in hong kong and malasia in kuala lumpa which one would you recommend ?
ps could only get 20kg luggage allowance ,even emirates won't help due to our visa type
Old Aug 24th 2006, 7:42 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: cathay or malaysia?

Originally Posted by sunseekers
cathay pacific or malaysia? both are around the same price ,cathay stops in hong kong and malasia in kuala lumpa which one would you recommend ?
ps could only get 20kg luggage allowance ,even emirates won't help due to our visa type

Cathay Pacific told me they do a 'migrant ticket' as in if you pay a bit more, you get the 40kg luggage allowance.

Now I dont know how much more you have to pay but its worth asking them.

I think they are both good airlines though from what I have been told.
Old Aug 24th 2006, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

pazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to all

Spent 3 days stopover in Kuala Lumpa going to Oz, then 3 days coming back. I honestly wished i'd just done 1 day each way then spent the other 4 days in Oz. Or failing that, went to Hong Kong. We didn't really care much for Kuala Lumpa, as you can tell.
Old Aug 24th 2006, 8:08 pm
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

We are just back from OZ and we flew with Malaysian, the only thing that we were dissapointed with was the food!!!!!!!!! Ok if you like curry for breakfast!!!
We stayed over in Kuala Lumpur, just overnight which was a godsend....did'nt want to stay any longer as we just wanted to get to OZ. We stayed at the Pan Pacific Airport hotel and is was great to say the least. We paid £55 for a room, which is unbelievable for how lovely the hotel was (5 star) and paid for the food while we were there, and we were starving after the 13 hour flight.....
Good luck.......
Old Aug 24th 2006, 10:33 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Flown with both a couple of times - Cathay wins hands down for me. There's nothing essentially wrong with Malaysian, but the whole service with Cathay is in a different league. You don't get airline of the year two years running by being crap.
Old Aug 24th 2006, 11:15 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Have not flown Malyasian but have just had a return flight with Cathay in July and they were excellent, great food, good entertainment. And we had a standard 32kgs!!! Is that because we flew AUS -> UK -> AUS?

Cheers
Old Aug 25th 2006, 1:00 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Malaysia - average

Cathay - fabulous
Old Aug 25th 2006, 4:10 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Malaysia - average

Cathay - fabulous
Agree with that plus:

KL - nice, cheap, good food, nice beaches - but only worth going there is you want to catch the Grand Prix.

HK - much more to do for the family including shopping, Disneyland and tons more.

Cathay/Hong Kong has to be the choice!

Andrew
Old Aug 25th 2006, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

karmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant future

Hey everyone,
I've been looking at flights for June next year and everytime I look at Cathay (who would be my preferred airline) they are always VERY expensive. I can't get a flight from Glasgow to Brisbane for less than around £1,200 each. Any idea where you can get Cathay flights cheaper. I have seen Emirates and Quantas for around £500 at the same time. I'd like to try Cathay because of all the good reviews on here, but over double the price for the same journey seems a little excessive. Any help would be much appreciated. I've been looking on their own website.
Thanks
Tracy
Old Aug 26th 2006, 5:43 pm
sunseekers

sunseekers is a name known to allsunseekers is a name known to allsunseekers is a name known to allsunseekers is a name known to allsunseekers is a name known to allsunseekers is a name known to allsunseekers is a name known to allsunseekers is a name known to allsunseekers is a name known to allsunseekers is a name known to allsunseekers is a name known to all

just booked 2 adults and 2 kids, heathrow to adelaide with a stop off in hong kong £1870 with cathay pacific
Old Aug 26th 2006, 5:56 pm
Forum Regular

karmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant future

just booked 2 adults and 2 kids, heathrow to adelaide with a stop off in hong kong £1870 with cathay pacific
If you don't mind me asking, where did you book those?
Old Aug 26th 2006, 9:07 pm
I am not the Messiah!

Carruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of lightCarruss is a glorious beacon of light
Wink Re: cathay or malaysia?

Originally Posted by karmagirls
If you don't mind me asking, where did you book those?
We flew with Cathay Pacific last week and thought they were excellent and would highly recommend them. We have three children and they were all happy with the movies etc.

Also in Hong Kong they have FREE (you will never see that in England eh!) internet access using their PC's, not your own. They ask people to limit their time to 15 minutes but ours was the last flight out in the evening and there was hardly anyone around.

We booked the flights in July 2006 on their website directly for an 'E' ticket for August the 18th and it was £2350.00 for two adults and the three kids. We could have got cheaper but as we were going to Cairns we only wanted to do two flights!

I did check the flight prices before we left too and they have more than doubled but I would guess this is due to the time of year etc.

R.
Old Aug 26th 2006, 9:10 pm
Forum Regular

Silky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of lightSilky Chicken is a glorious beacon of light

We're flying with Cathay on 29th and they've been highly recommended, we're getting 40kg, plus 15kg cabin & laptop (but that's 1st class).

I'd checkout this just in case any of your party are tall like my hubby as the Oriental airlines tend to have less leg space!

http://www.seatguru.com/

HTH

Sara
Old Aug 27th 2006, 1:18 am
Forum Regular

amanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by karmagirls
Hey everyone,
I've been looking at flights for June next year and everytime I look at Cathay (who would be my preferred airline) they are always VERY expensive. I can't get a flight from Glasgow to Brisbane for less than around £1,200 each. Any idea where you can get Cathay flights cheaper. I have seen Emirates and Quantas for around £500 at the same time. I'd like to try Cathay because of all the good reviews on here, but over double the price for the same journey seems a little excessive. Any help would be much appreciated. I've been looking on their own website.
Thanks
Tracy
I got one from travelselect.co.uk for 460 one way...try that

They are always on there for that much