British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Catch 22 situation! any inputs ? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/catch-22-situation-any-inputs-106911/)

himalaya Mar 10th 2002 3:56 am

Catch 22 situation! any inputs ?

Hi ! every one,

I need to find out if I have to travel to get my ICAO ATPL Flying license converted to Australian Equivalent before filing migratin allication or whether the application can be filed now (and the conversion done later upon receiving PR).
The Skill assessment I have received from CASA says:

"after perusal of the documents presented ......the authority is satisfied that your aeronautical experience is suitable for converting your qualifications to the australian equivalent for the purposes of migrating under Nominated skilled occupation of Aircraft Pilot ASCO Code 2541-11."

But the problem is it also says:

"If you intend to apply for migration under the General Skilled Migration visacategories, you must convert your overseas license into the australian equivalent first." ( This means I have to travel all the way to Australia get my Flying License converter then come back and file the application !?! which i find waste of money and time as if we are allowed to do the convertion after arriving as a PR then that would save us money as well as time...my personal view.)

I Contacted the Licensing officer again to confirm whether I have to actually travel to Austrlia to get my Flying licenes converted before filing migration application, she says she is not sure and to contact DIMA and get and answer from them. However, I do not have nay contact address of DIMA. Does Any one have E-mail, Fax or any other contact address where I could send my enquiries ?

Any Pilots who have migrated before ....?

Any suggestions ......?

Thanks alot.

Himalaya

Sandy Cruden Mar 10th 2002 1:05 pm

Re: Catch 22 situation! any inputs ?

--

"himalaya" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Hi ! every one,
    >
    > I need to find out if I have to travel to get my ICAO ATPL Flying license converted
    > to Australian Equivalent before filing migratin allication or whether the
    > application can be filed now (and the conversion done later upon receiving PR). The
    > Skill assessment I have received from CASA says:
    >
    > "after perusal of the documents presented ......the authority is satisfied that
    > your aeronautical experience is suitable for converting your qualifications to the
    > australian equivalent for the purposes of migrating under Nominated skilled
    > occupation of Aircraft Pilot ASCO Code 2541-11."
    >
    > But the problem is it also says:
    >
    > "If you intend to apply for migration under the General Skilled Migration
    > visacategories, you must convert your overseas license into the australian
    > equivalent first." ( This means I have to travel all the way to Australia get my
    > Flying License converter then come back and file the application !?! which i find
    > waste of money and time as if we are allowed to do the convertion after arriving as
    > a PR then that would save us money as well as time...my personal view.)
    >
    >
    > I Contacted the Licensing officer again to confirm whether I have to actually
    > travel to Austrlia to get my Flying licenes converted before filing migration
    > application, she says she is not sure and to contact DIMA and get and answer from
    > them. However, I do not have nay contact address of DIMA. Does Any one have E-mail,
    > Fax or any other contact address where I could send my enquiries ?
    >
    >
    > Any Pilots who have migrated before ....?
    >
    > Any suggestions ......?
    >
    > Thanks alot.
    >
    > Himalaya.

Hi Himalaya

Just a general comment. Now that Ansett Airlines is dead and buried there are
approximately 600 pilots looking for work. Many are depressed, despairing of ever
flying for a living again. Qantas and Virgin will absorb some but not all. I thought
you might like to know.

Good luck

Sandy
    >
    >
    > --

himalaya Mar 14th 2002 3:40 am

Re: Catch 22 situation! any inputs ?

Thanks for the info. about the airline industry out there...I have worked as a system analyst in the past so wouldn't worry about fiding a work. Anyway, It will take about 2 years get the PR even if I apply today so by that time things should change in the travel and airline sectors. Thanks anyway!!