Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Cat sensitive people only please!

Cat sensitive people only please!

Old May 26th 2006, 3:49 pm
Forum Regular

georgiagal is a jewel in the roughgeorgiagal is a jewel in the roughgeorgiagal is a jewel in the roughgeorgiagal is a jewel in the rough
Default Cat sensitive people only please!

Having a dilemma (again!). We have 4 cats:
there is one beyond any shadow of any doubt is coming - Chuck.
One is too old & needs to stay put - Gordon
The other two, Magz & Bobbi I am undecided about. Both are really shy & a little skittish so i'm worried how they'll handle the whole trip.
My other concern is from the Oz side in terms of housing etc. I know they are not particularly well received esp WRT landlords etc. Anyone had any personal experience and hindsight advice.
My Mum keeps saying, "they are just animals" but to me they are a major part of the family. I just don't want to regret leaving them, and, as we're also moving a horse and dog, a couple more grand into the equation is not going to make that much difference!
Old May 26th 2006, 4:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cat sensitive people only please!

Originally Posted by georgiagal
The other two, Magz & Bobbi I am undecided about. Both are really shy & a little skittish so i'm worried how they'll handle the whole trip.
My other concern is from the Oz side in terms of housing etc. I know they are not particularly well received esp WRT landlords etc. Anyone had any personal experience and hindsight advice.
My Mum keeps saying, "they are just animals" but to me they are a major part of the family. I just don't want to regret leaving them, and, as we're also moving a horse and dog, a couple more grand into the equation is not going to make that much difference!
Do you know where you are moving to? Some places have limits on the number of cats and dogs that you can have. That may help with the decision....
Old May 26th 2006, 4:28 pm
Forum Regular

georgiagal is a jewel in the roughgeorgiagal is a jewel in the roughgeorgiagal is a jewel in the roughgeorgiagal is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Do you know where you are moving to? Some places have limits on the number of cats and dogs that you can have. That may help with the decision....
Either north NSW or queensland, preferably a more devloping area & rural.
Old May 26th 2006, 5:33 pm
In my own little world!

Nicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,

Similar situation to you - we're headed to Sydney later this year and we have three cats (had four but sadly lost one to cancer a couple of weeks ago), all very different temperaments and personalities, and I too have gone over and over the 'am I doing the right thing' so many times......

I've reached the decision that they are coming with us unless I can find them a home with someone who can look after them as well as I can. YI worry enormously about how traumatic the flight is going to be for two of them who, like yours, are very shy and skittish - but it's only 24hours and they'll get over it. I'm reassured by the numbers of cat-owners on the forum who have also worried like crazy but reported their pets settling in fine without any adverse reaction from the flight/quarantine.

In terms of rentals, there are less options available for pet-owners generally but I think it's probably more difficult for those with dogs than cats. I'm optimistic that we'll find a suitable rental that will accept cats.

At the end of the day, you must do what's right for you and your cats - but I do empathise because it's not an easy decision either way.

Nicky

Last edited by Nicky & Dave; May 26th 2006 at 5:41 pm.
Old May 26th 2006, 5:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Nicky & Dave
Hi there,

Similar situation to you - we're headed to Sydney later this year and we have three cats (had four but sadly lost one to cancer a couple of weeks ago), all very different temperaments and personalities, and I too have gone over and over the 'am I doing the right thing' so many times......

I've reached the decision that they are coming with us unless I can find them a home with someone who can look after them as well as I can. YI worry enormously about how traumatic the flight is going to be for two of them who, like yours, are very shy and skittish - but it's only 24hours and they'll get over it. I'm reassured by the numbers of cat-owners on the forum who have also worried like crazy but reported their pets settling in fine without any adverse reaction from the flight/quarantine.

In terms of rentals, there are less options available for pet-owners generally but I think it's probably more difficult for those with dogs than cats. I'm optimistic that we'll find a suitable rental that will accept cats.

At the end of the day, you must do what's right for you and your cats - but I do empathise because it's not an easy decision either way.

Nicky
Thanks Nikki, I just hate to think i'm leaving them behind in the bloody USA, may not be as bad if it was back at home and I could leave them with family! How long do they spend in quarantine in UK? From here they have to spend 2 weeks in quarantine on US side then 4 weeks in Oz.
Good luck on your move.
Old May 26th 2006, 9:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

suzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Nikki, I just hate to think i'm leaving them behind in the bloody USA, may not be as bad if it was back at home and I could leave them with family! How long do they spend in quarantine in UK? From here they have to spend 2 weeks in quarantine on US side then 4 weeks in Oz.
Good luck on your move.
If you are taking one cat an a dog already personally I would take the other two. It is worrying shipping pets, and there is a risk involved, but the general consensus does seem to be that they are fine when they get there. I apprecite how you must be feeling though

I am in USA and going to Aus too (assuming the visa comes through ok) - although I've still got quite a while to wait. How lonmg have u been in America?
Old May 26th 2006, 9:52 pm
In my own little world!

Nicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck on your move.
Thanks G - only 4 weeks total Quarantine from UK to Oz, so marginally better than from US to Oz! It does help me to feel more reassured that they'll be okay, as my cats have been boarded in a cattery for 4 weeks whilst we've been on holiday, and they have been fine.

Nicky
Old May 27th 2006, 1:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by suzimc
If you are taking one cat an a dog already personally I would take the other two. It is worrying shipping pets, and there is a risk involved, but the general consensus does seem to be that they are fine when they get there. I apprecite how you must be feeling though

I am in USA and going to Aus too (assuming the visa comes through ok) - although I've still got quite a while to wait. How lonmg have u been in America?
Too long! We've been here five years and it's finally starting to get to us! How long have you been here?
Old May 28th 2006, 2:50 am
BE Forum Addict

suzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond repute

Too long! We've been here five years and it's finally starting to get to us! How long have you been here?
Only 6 months and hopefully we will be in Aus within the next year, so it's not too bad, don't know if I'd like to do 5 years here....